ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink ALDI (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315797)

Pitt Gorilla 06-13-2018 10:05 PM

ALDI

What the heck happened to this place? When I was growing up, ALDI was the place where poor people went to purchase poor-people food.

Now, ALDI is the place where just about everyone goes to get high-quality groceries for reasonable prices. It's crazy. I'm not even sure the uber poor shop there any longer. Everything is organic and the meats and cheeses are outstanding. Hell, they don't even sell bologna. How did such a massive transition occur?

Cornstock 06-13-2018 10:11 PM

I hate it. They just opened one up near me, but I'll go to HEB til I die vs this place.

First of all you have to pay for carts with quarters. I don't trust their generics compared to HEB (Texas's equivalent to Hy-Vee, no affiliation). They have knock off beer... knock off Samuel Adams and Shiner Bock...wtf. Just not my thing.

Titty Meat 06-13-2018 10:13 PM

I've wondered the same thing though I can tell you the Aldi in Waldo is shit. When I was leaving some dude was trying to sell me a knife LMAO

RunKC 06-13-2018 10:16 PM

Aldi is okay as long as you aren’t buying essentials, just stuff like chips, coffee and other bagged/can goods.

I tried their milk and produce twice and both times it went to shit after 2 days regardless of ripeness or expiration date.

Baby Lee 06-13-2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 13592194)
What the heck happened to this place? When I was growing up, ALDI was the place where poor people went to purchase poor-people food.

Now, ALDI is the place where just about everyone goes to get high-quality groceries for reasonable prices. It's crazy. I'm not even sure the uber poor shop there any longer. Everything is organic and the meats and cheeses are outstanding. Hell, they don't even sell bologna. How did such a massive transition occur?

Trader Joe's synergy

And my local had bologna the last time I was in there.

Their staples haven't changed much, and they are still hella cheap on dairy, and whatever produce they have in their flyer that week. But they have added some more upscale items on a fairly haphazard basis [euphemism 'seasonal values']. There's plenty I'll find at one Aldis I don't see at another, let alone my family being able to find it across the state when I mention it to them.

GloucesterChief 06-13-2018 10:24 PM

Cheese is excellent. German sausage, spaetzle, chocolate, and premium cookies are all very good.

Dunit35 06-13-2018 10:53 PM

My wife is obsessed with Aldi. We don’t buy our meat from there. Everything else tastes fine though.

They are in the middle of remodeling ours. It’s supposed to close for five weeks. My wife is super pissed about it.

srvy 06-13-2018 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13592202)
Aldi is okay as long as you aren’t buying essentials, just stuff like chips, coffee and other bagged/can goods.

I tried their milk and produce twice and both times it went to shit after 2 days regardless of ripeness or expiration date.

I have had good luck with the 2% milk. We are not big milk drinkers mostly for cooking so its there near or at expiration date yet still isnt sour. Maybe your fridge isnt cold enough.

They have the freshest eggs and a large is still a large. The fruit is so so I kinda stay away from it. If you like German foods its excellent probably because its a German owned company. ALDI is the largest Grocery in Germany I have read. If you like Braunschweiger get there brand its excellent. Frozen fries ice creams are good. Lot of stuff is good there and some stuff is just bla after a few trips you know what to get.

Baby Lee 06-13-2018 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 13592230)
My wife is obsessed with Aldi. We don’t buy our meat from there. Everything else tastes fine though.

They are in the middle of remodeling ours. It’s supposed to close for five weeks. My wife is super pissed about it.

Very worth it. In my experience, most all of the renovation efforts are to make space for the higher quality stuff.

Of particular personal interest, the renovated stores have a dried fruit and nut section on par with Trader Joes [bulk cashews, pecans, walnuts, . . . dried apricot, cherry, cranberry, . . . all sorts of trail mix and snack mix, etc]

Good bit of expansion in packaged deli meat, specialty cheeses, organic produce, . . . a flower section, as well.

banecat 06-13-2018 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornstock (Post 13592199)
I hate it. They just opened one up near me, but I'll go to HEB til I die vs this place.

First of all you have to pay for carts with quarters. I don't trust their generics compared to HEB (Texas's equivalent to Hy-Vee, no affiliation). They have knock off beer... knock off Samuel Adams and Shiner Bock...wtf. Just not my thing.

HEB is the best grocery store that I've ever been in

banecat 06-13-2018 11:19 PM

Every time that I go in one it seems closer and closer to a regular grocery store

BryanBusby 06-13-2018 11:44 PM

That's pretty much their aim.

Other retailers caught on to how much money Walmart was making off the grocery side and they want a piece of it.

It's why Amazon bought out Whole Foods and Aldi's is trying to go bigger.

JD10367 06-14-2018 12:10 AM

IIRC Trader Joe’s and U.S. Aldi are owned by the two quarreling sons of the European Aldi company.

WhiteWhale 06-14-2018 12:10 AM

I don't shop at Aldi's. A few years ago my parents bought me a steak for my birthday (We're simple folks) and I put it in the freezer.

It had turned brown, IN THE FREEZER, within two days.

That's the first, only, and hopefully last time I ever see that happen.

Call me a meat hipster, but I buy most of my meat at a butcher. I don't trust supermarket mass produced shit.

loochy 06-14-2018 07:02 AM

Quote:

First of all you have to pay for carts with quarters.

Then go grab a box from the shelf you amateur
Quote:

They have knock off beer... knock off Samuel Adams and Shiner Bock...wtf. Just not my thing.

Have you actually tried it? I bet it's not bad.
Posted via Mobile Device