ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Which fate would you rather choose? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=101040)

el borracho 10-11-2004 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Codger
Yes...I believe that he was famous for less than 15 minutes...Sensationalized but not regarded as a great artist by anyone that I know...What was his name again?? (I rest my case)

Andres Serrano

Earthling 10-11-2004 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod
I can remember seeing A BLANK CANVAS hanging in an art museum. Seriously. A BLANK, RECTANGULAR CANVAS. I shit you not.

:shake:

Apparently it was the artist's interpretation of the nothingness of the universe. But you can see all kinds of nothingness just like it at any art supply shop.

I could'a done that..

Hammock Parties 10-11-2004 11:16 PM

Quote:

Yes...I believe that he was famous for less than 15 minutes...Sensationalized but not regarded as a great artist by anyone that I know...What was his name again?? (I rest my case)

I bet he made some cash though.

el borracho 10-11-2004 11:18 PM

Quote:

Apparently it was the artist's interpretation of the nothingness of the universe. But you can see all kinds of nothingness just like it at any art supply shop.

Maybe I should frame my savings account statement. Who knows what that treasure is worth?

Earthling 10-11-2004 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho
Andres Serrano

I'm impressed... :clap: I would guess that you are in that field..Artist perhaps?

Earthling 10-11-2004 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBret
I bet he made some cash though.

I'd bet you are right...Whatever puts food on the table, huh?

el borracho 10-11-2004 11:24 PM

Quote:

I'm impressed... :clap: I would guess that you are in that field..Artist perhaps?

I somewhat cheated. I remembered the name of the piece ("piss christ") and googled the artist.

Phobia 10-11-2004 11:27 PM

Quote:

My sister is an artist. She actually has talent. She sculpts shit.

Yeah. From what I've heard about her (from you), she molds soft, limp flesh into statues of granite.

I'll bet she's talented.

RealSNR 10-11-2004 11:29 PM

Quote:

I can remember seeing A BLANK CANVAS hanging in an art museum. Seriously. A BLANK, RECTANGULAR CANVAS. I shit you not.

:shake:

Perhaps the greatest man I've ever talked to is John Cage, the greatest developer of aleatoric music, which is music involving randomness and chance. He wrote a radio symphony once, which involves 12 radios tuned to different stations chosen by tossing a coin.

Anyway, he took aleatoric music a step farther. He wrote a piece called 4'33". The first performance was for solo piano, but it can be done with any instrument or ensemble. The performer(s) merely sit in silence for four minutes and 33 seconds.

His belief was that the integration of silence as an essential element is the only "new idea since Beethoven." Cage wrote an essay on it saying that silence can never be total... there's always somebody breathing, appliances running, people coughing, coats rustling, etc, during a performance. Also, silence was an important part of music before in deceptive cadences. Cage wanted to use that same energy to write his "music."

You know what's odd? He almost makes sense.

Hammock Parties 10-11-2004 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
Yeah. From what I've heard about her (from you), she molds soft, limp flesh into statues of granite.

I'll bet she's talented.

You've completely lost me.

Oh.

No, I was talking about my OTHER sister. :D

Raiderhater 10-11-2004 11:29 PM

Quote:

My sister is an artist. She actually has talent. She sculpts shit. She doesn't make crap from selling her art, so she's going to be a teacher. But it saddens me when no-talent hacks like you described are making money off stupid shit like the above.

Wasn't there some guy who smeared poop on a painting of jesus or something and got famous? :shake:

Elephant crap flung on a picture of the Virgin Mary. If memory serves me correctly, Rudy had, or tried to have, the musuem's funding pulled for that.

Raiderhater 10-11-2004 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR
Perhaps the greatest man I've ever talked to is John Cage, the greatest developer of aleatoric music, which is music involving randomness and chance. He wrote a radio symphony once, which involves 12 radios tuned to different stations chosen by tossing a coin.

Anyway, he took aleatoric music a step farther. He wrote a piece called 4'33". The first performance was for solo piano, but it can be done with any instrument or ensemble. The performer(s) merely sit in silence for four minutes and 33 seconds.

His belief was that the integration of silence as an essential element is the only "new idea since Beethoven." Cage wrote an essay on it saying that silence can never be total... there's always somebody breathing, appliances running, people coughing, coats rustling, etc, during a performance. Also, silence was an important part of music before in deceptive cadences. Cage wanted to use that same energy to write his "music."

If you say so....

Frazod 10-11-2004 11:32 PM

I also like the guy who dissects human corpses and then clearcoats the chunks in various poses. If DaVinci were alive, he'd be quaking in his boots over that visionary genious.... :shake:

Frazod 10-11-2004 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR

Sounds better than rap.... ROFL

Raiderhater 10-11-2004 11:36 PM

Quote:

I also like the guy who dissects human corpses and then clearcoats the chunks in various poses. If DaVinci were alive, he'd be quaking in his boots over that visionary genious.... :shake:

I had not heard about that one. There are some real whackos out there, and they are allowed to roam free through society because they call themselves "artists". If not for that, we would have locked away in some nut house.

If I ever go crazy, I now know how to remain out side of the funny farm.