ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Todd Haley is the "Mystery of Pittsburgh" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261647)

jd1020 07-22-2012 03:28 PM

Sorry, you are never going to get me to admit that Palko gave us a better chance to win than Orton.

What would you have stood to lose by bringing in Orton? Oh that's right... nothing.

chiefzilla1501 07-22-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8759809)
No, I think Haley was horrendous b/c he was one of the worse game day coaches that I've seen in a long time. Completely and hopelessly lost on Sundays, and this quality and the suck of Cassel are mutually exclusive.

Agree to disagree. If you think Haley was one of the worst, then you're in for a real treat with Romeo. Haley made a lot of dumb choices, but it seemed to me that he took a lot of big risks when he knew his team wasn't good enough to win without a little bit of luck. When the team was competitive, we didn't see nearly as many of those gaffes.

What's more important to me is that this was the most disciplined team we've seen in some time, and almost every player improved under his watch. Markedly. Haley made quite a few dumb mistakes, but I also know that he was crippled by horrendously micromanaged decisions that came from above him. Again, I don't know if he was a good or bad coach with better management up top. But one can't deny that those decisions didn't necessarily give him the fairest shot to prove it.

DeezNutz 07-22-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 8759825)
Agree to disagree. If you think Haley was one of the worst, then you're in for a real treat with Romeo. Haley made a lot of dumb choices, but it seemed to me that he took a lot of big risks when he knew his team wasn't good enough to win without a little bit of luck. When the team was competitive, we didn't see nearly as many of those gaffes.

What's more important to me is that this was the most disciplined team we've seen in some time, and almost every player improved under his watch. Markedly. Haley made quite a few dumb mistakes, but I also know that he was crippled by horrendously micromanaged decisions that came from above him. Again, I don't know if he was a good or bad coach with better management up top. But one can't deny that those decisions didn't necessarily give him the fairest shot to prove it.

Don't disagree with that statement, and I will concede that I could be underselling the bullshit of Pioli.

chiefzilla1501 07-22-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8759813)
Five set pass plays with Orton = exponentially better than anything involving Palko.

If you're remotely justifying Palko playing, your argument is laughably flawed. Hell, there's likely no way that Stanzi can be worse than Palko, and there was that option at the very least.

QB aside, Haley was and is a joke as a HC.

The Orton vs. Palko thing isn't even an argument. Few head coaches would ever march a QB on the field with less than 2 days of preparation. And many head coaches would never start Orton over Palko with the condition of his finger. You're saying he should have played completely unprepared or injured. In both cases, most coaches would have done the same exact thing.

BigMeatballDave 07-22-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8759822)
Sorry, you are never going to get me to admit that Palko gave us a better chance to win than Orton.

What would you have stood to lose by bringing in Orton? Oh that's right... nothing.

Orton wasn't even in uniform vs Pitt. He never made it to KC until Thursday.

Hammock Parties 07-22-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 8759825)
Agree to disagree. If you think Haley was one of the worst, then you're in for a real treat with Romeo.

Sure would put a final, embarrassing stamp on Pioli's failed regime if Romeo turned out to be worse than Haley.

jd1020 07-22-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8759841)
Orton wasn't even in uniform vs Pitt. He never made it to KC until Thursday.

Are you trying to say he wasn't in uniform because he didn't make it to KC in time to be?

chiefzilla1501 07-22-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8759847)
Are you trying to say he wasn't in uniform because he didn't make it to KC in time to be?

He didn't show up until Friday of that week. He didn't start practicing with the team until Friday Night. I'm sure Saturday wasn't an intense day of practice.

So yes, I think you're really reaching if this is the argument you want to hang your hat on. That a QB should learn a totally new offense in one day and that his team should be prepared to play with a guy they've only known for 1 day.

jd1020 07-22-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 8759865)
He didn't show up until Friday of that week. He didn't start practicing with the team until Friday Night. I'm sure Saturday wasn't an intense day of practice.

Plenty of time to come up with a handful of plays and be more successful than Palko. Unless, of course, you believe its possible to be worse than 0 TDs and 6 INTs.

BigMeatballDave 07-22-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8759847)

He wasn't going to play. Period. That was not a mistake by Todd.

Not starting him in Chicago was.

Dave Lane 07-22-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 8759464)
i wish i could be the fly on the wall for the behind the doors debates on Cassel between Haley, Pioli, Clark, whoever.

So clear the Haleys knew he sucked just like the fans do. Big Ben is certainly an upgrade for Todd to work with.

Everything I've read said Haley knew what a liability Cassel was but was ordered by the crown to keep him in. And not to use Stanzi. reeruned orders from Scotty boy

gblowfish 07-22-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8759868)
He wasn't going to play. Period. That was not a mistake by Todd.

Not starting him in Chicago was.

If memory serves, didn't they put Orton in for one snap against Chicago, they ran a flea flicker, and Orton bruised his hand hitting a Bear in the helmet?

milkman 07-22-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8759714)
It's hard to get blown out in the NFL given the talent is so equal. It's not just the blowouts it's also the demeanor on the sideline. Haley's actions were embarrassing and not indicative of a leader at all.

I can't say I disagree with this.

I am not sure that Haley was a worse head coach than Herman ****ing Edwards, though.

The blowouts might be telling to you, but the blowouts were, in large part, due to Haley's more aggressive style.

Herman ****ing Edwards wouldn't take any kind of risk, ever, and that kept his team in a lot of games, but it also never gave his team any chance to steal wins.

Even Haley's approach to last offseson was risky, and it blew up in his face.

I still believe that, in time, he'll grow, and when he does, he will be a damn good head coach.

He just wasn't prepared for this opportunity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8759866)
Plenty of time to come up with a handful of plays and be more successful than Palko. Unless, of course, you believe its possible to be worse than 0 TDs and 6 INTs.

Seriously?

This is what you're going with?

LMAO

Dumbass.

kcxiv 07-22-2012 04:55 PM

Best part is when haley was on that nfl show being part of the crew and they were taking digs at KC's front office and QB. lol That shit was great, i wish i had it recorded.

BoneKrusher 07-22-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8759809)
No, I think Haley was horrendous b/c he was one of the worse game day coaches that I've seen in a long time. Completely and hopelessly lost on Sundays, and this quality and the suck of Cassel are mutually exclusive.

A-Men