ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Teicher: Stanzi, Quinn ready to compete for job as Chiefs’ No. 2 QB (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260180)

Tribal Warfare 06-04-2012 08:55 PM

Teicher: Stanzi, Quinn ready to compete for job as Chiefs’ No. 2 QB

Stanzi, Quinn ready to compete for job as Chiefs’ No. 2 QB
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Ricky Stanzi was drafted by the Chiefs last year, but he said there are times when he still feels like a rookie. This is his first time with the luxury of participating in the team’s offseason program, having lost the experience to the NFL lockout last season.

Brady Quinn is the veteran among the Chiefs’ reserve quarterbacks but indicated there are times when he feels like a rookie again. He signed as a free agent with the Chiefs in March and acknowledged that occasional new-team feeling.

The Chiefs need one of them to age soon. They’ll have to make a decision on Matt Cassel’s top backup before the Sept. 9 season opener against Atlanta at Arrowhead Stadium.

Coach Romeo Crennel said recently Quinn was ahead of Stanzi, not surprising given Quinn is more experienced and once played in Cleveland for Chiefs offensive coordinator Brian Daboll.

But it hasn’t all been smooth for Quinn, a first-round draft pick by the Browns in 2007 when Crennel was their head coach. Quinn hasn’t taken a snap in an NFL game since 2009.

“Any time you have to go and learn a new system, that can be an adjustment for you on top of having to learn new personnel,” Quinn said. “Fortunately for me, I have some familiarity with the offense being that I was with Brian in 2009. That’s helped out a lot.

“I’m just trying to get a lot of work in and trying to get the fundamentals down right now. I’m trying to get adjusted to some of the different wide receivers I’m on the field with. Everybody is still new to me and I’m still trying to get used to how they get in and out of cuts, their body language, things like that.”

Quinn and Stanzi are rotating by practice session as the No. 2 quarterback. Monday was Quinn’s turn, with Stanzi finishing each drill as the No. 3 passer.

Neither was particularly sharp. Both threw an interception — Quinn to rookie safety Tysyn Hartman, and Stanzi to veteran Travis Daniels.

Their battle won’t become intense until training camp begins next month in St. Joseph. Stanzi said he will be better able to compete for a job than he was last year, when he arrived at camp after the lockout ended and without the benefit of the spring practice that he’s getting now.

“You have to feel more comfortable now than last year, just having the offseason,” Stanzi said. “It was tough to come in at any rookie position and to have to go right into camp.

“It was nice to have this offseason to get onto the playbook and look at all the formations and different things that are special to this offense and then to just go out there and get (snaps) before actual training camp. That simple combination makes a huge difference, when you’re able to go out there and play things out and get a feel for what the offense is mentally before you go out there and do it physically.

“It definitely feels more like a rookie year should feel. You’re just more aware and you know more people on the team with this being the second year. Not having the offseason last year was just a different thing you had to adjust to.”

Stanzi was the third quarterback for much of the season before becoming the primary backup to Kyle Orton late in the season. In either case, Stanzi didn’t play in a game, so it could take him some time in the preseason to get used to game speed again.

“Maybe a little bit, but you just have to adjust,” Stanzi said. “It will be something minor if you make it minor in your head. It can be something big if you make it big. You just have to keep in focus what you’re trying to accomplish.”

Okie_Apparition 06-04-2012 08:57 PM

Stanzi City

petegz28 06-04-2012 08:58 PM

Water is wet

Ming the Merciless 06-04-2012 08:59 PM

oh they are going to compete?

I thought they would tickle each other and then blow a dandelion and make wishes

BigMeatballDave 06-04-2012 09:08 PM

What about having all 3 competing for #1?

Pioli is a lying ****ing cock gobbler.

DeezNutz 06-04-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8659069)

"Lying...****ing...cock...gobbler..???" /Pioli making his stupid ****ing faux-confused faced.

Cornstock 06-04-2012 09:16 PM

So much for the speculation of a certain web site known for its "reliability" that Stanzi would stay at #2 after last week. Seriously, Chiefsplanet knows more about whats going on than anybody besides the FO, including the mothership, PFT, and especially Teicher

rico 06-04-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 8659032)
oh they are going to compete?

I thought they would tickle each other and then blow a dandelion and make wishes

LMAO

wazu 06-04-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornstock (Post 8659099)
So much for the speculation of a certain web site known for its "reliability" that Stanzi would stay at #2 after last week. Seriously, Chiefsplanet knows more about whats going on than anybody besides the FO, including the mothership, PFT, and especially Teicher

We're also about two years ahead of the curve on reaching a final and irrevocable decision that Cassel sucks.

ChiefsCountry 06-04-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 8659423)
We're also about two years ahead of the curve on reaching a final and irrevocable decision that Cassel sucks.

Two years? Alot of us knew Cassel sucked ass on February 28, 2009 when Fat **** traded for him.

Cornstock 06-05-2012 12:02 AM

Im not sure u could know that Cassel sucked the day he was traded for. You could definitely have an inkling that he wouldn't live up to the hype, given the situation he was in while in NE. You and I and many others here had that inkling. Cassel was at the point where he just hadn't been evaluated enough as a player. But Pioli really ****ed it up. If anyone had seen enough of him it was Pioli. He got to see him every day in practice. Plus Cassel never even started a game in college. Wasn't even 2nd string FFS

BoneKrusher 06-05-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8659436)
Two years? Alot of us knew Cassel sucked ass on February 28, 2009 when Fat **** traded for him.

i remember that day i called the trade Scott Mitchell part 2.

Marcellus 06-05-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Pioli has been very suspect to this point and I feel he is probably our biggest concern.

That being said, when did Pioli claim there would be an open QB competition?

I know he said he wanted some competition at the QB position, I don't remember ever reading that the starting QB position was open for competition.

I do remember reading quotes where he said Casshole was the starter.............

So I am not sure where all this Pioli is a liar stuff that I keep reading is coming from.

Because he isn't doing what you want him to do doesn't make him a liar, he may be an idiot though.

TEX 06-05-2012 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneKrusher (Post 8659561)
i remember that day i called the trade Scott Mitchell part 2.

As did many. :shake:

We all knew this is what Pioli meant about creating competition at QB.

BoneKrusher 06-05-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

:thumb: