ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music July 12 - Your ISP starts monitoring your downloads (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260752)

Imon Yourside 07-30-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8777141)
Thanks, rep for the link. Mimo does not seem to work all that well...it says my speeds are between 5 Mbps and 20 Mbps, but the few downloads I have done have taken way longer than they should. I just need to figure out all the proper tweaks and get the best news reader, etc. to maximize my speed. I set up for 50 connections as well.... I have 16 gigs of ram in my new machine, so I should have enough resources to handle that many connections.

use sabnzbd to dl and search for the files on here http://www.binsearch.info/

mnchiefsguy 07-30-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8777157)
use sabnzbd to dl and search for the files on here http://www.binsearch.info/

Setup sabnzbd, used binsearch, made an nzb...and got a connection speed of 59 kbs. Not sure why my giganews connection is so damn awful...although I did subscribe with the option of using their vpn. I will disable that next and see if my bottleneck is there.

Fish 07-30-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8777141)
Thanks, rep for the link. Mimo does not seem to work all that well...it says my speeds are between 5 Mbps and 20 Mbps, but the few downloads I have done have taken way longer than they should. I just need to figure out all the proper tweaks and get the best news reader, etc. to maximize my speed. I set up for 50 connections as well.... I have 16 gigs of ram in my new machine, so I should have enough resources to handle that many connections.

RAM has nothing to do with how many connections you can handle.

In most cases, it's your own connection with your ISP that is the bottleneck. Have you run any speed tests to test your connection? Sometimes you'll have issues that aren't apparent until you're downloading from somewhere with shitloads of bandwidth like Newsgroups.

Imon Yourside 07-30-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8777205)
Setup sabnzbd, used binsearch, made an nzb...and got a connection speed of 59 kbs. Not sure why my giganews connection is so damn awful...although I did subscribe with the option of using their vpn. I will disable that next and see if my bottleneck is there.

Yes, it depends on your ISP...Roadrunner sucks using VPN whereas Surewest was fairly quick.

Lex Luthor 07-30-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8777399)
Yes, it depends on your ISP...Roadrunner sucks using VPN whereas Surewest was fairly quick.

I use SureWest, and my download speeds haven't noticeably changed since I began using IP Vanish a few weeks ago.

Setsuna 07-30-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 8777445)
I use SureWest, and my download speeds haven't noticeably changed since I began using IP Vanish a few weeks ago.

Tell me about this. I have Comcast....is going around this possible?

mnchiefsguy 07-30-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8777397)
RAM has nothing to do with how many connections you can handle.

In most cases, it's your own connection with your ISP that is the bottleneck. Have you run any speed tests to test your connection? Sometimes you'll have issues that aren't apparent until you're downloading from somewhere with shitloads of bandwidth like Newsgroups.

I usually test at speedtest.net. I have the Time Warner "Turbo" package, which is suppose to be 15 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. Usually the test will return a d/l speed between 12-20, and an upload speed of slightly under 1 Mbps.

I get good speed on my bittorrents and such. Do I need to forward a port for the newsgroups like I do with utorrent? Had not thought of that till just now.

Imon Yourside 07-30-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8777733)
I usually test at speedtest.net. I have the Time Warner "Turbo" package, which is suppose to be 15 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. Usually the test will return a d/l speed between 12-20, and an upload speed of slightly under 1 Mbps.

I get good speed on my bittorrents and such. Do I need to forward a port for the newsgroups like I do with utorrent? Had not thought of that till just now.

I have Time Warner 25mb/s and my 10mb/s surewest was 10 x faster, so it's definitely Time Warner...I will be switching back to surewest fairly soon.

Imon Yourside 07-30-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 8777445)
I use SureWest, and my download speeds haven't noticeably changed since I began using IP Vanish a few weeks ago.

Like I said, when i was with Surewest I had zero problems, RR just blows. Need Google Fiber!

mnchiefsguy 07-30-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 8777754)
Like I said, when i was with Surewest I had zero problems, RR just blows. Need Google Fiber!

Wonder if Surewest services my part of town, their website says they do, but they also list my address as being in Raytown, KS, LOL, so that might not be accurate.....might be a good stopgap till google fiber comes along.

Imon Yourside 07-30-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8777802)
Wonder if Surewest services my part of town, their website says they do, but they also list my address as being in Raytown, KS, LOL, so that might not be accurate.....might be a good stopgap till google fiber comes along.

I regret not staying with surewest, I had ZERO problems the 2 years i was with them. Other than the price of course.

kaplin42 09-16-2012 10:16 PM

shot in the dark, but anyone got a IPT invite by chance?

Setsuna 09-17-2012 02:17 PM

IPT a porn convention? If so, then yes.

kaplin42 09-18-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 8921275)
IPT a porn convention? If so, then yes.

Negative. But Im bumping in the hopes that someone out there will have an IPT invite that they don't mind sharing.

Buehler445 09-18-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 8925413)
Negative. But Im bumping in the hopes that someone out there will have an IPT invite that they don't mind sharing.

Don't think so but I'll check when I get home.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.