ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   BBC story on Tynes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=157001)

Thig Lyfe 01-20-2007 10:44 AM

BBC story on Tynes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ll/6280579.stm

Kicking king Tynes
By Mark Barden

From soccer-mad Scottish schoolboy to highly rated NFL kicker - that's the long journey made by Lawrence Tynes.

The Greenock-born gridiron star ended his third full season with Kansas City in December with a play-offs loss to Indianapolis.

It was the Chiefs' first campaign under head coach Herm Edwards, and Tynes' first experience of the NFL post-season.

"We weren't ready for the Colts' speed," he told BBC Sport. "Their game was so much faster than anything I'd ever seen.

"But we got a taste of the play-offs this year, and it can only make us a better team," said the 30-year-old. "I know I can definitely be a better player."

But that's in the future - what about the past of a player whose early sporting heroes wore the green and white hoops of Celtic?

"I was a big Celtic fan when I was growing up in Campbeltown on the west coast," recalled Tynes.

"I still follow them, usually through my mom in Florida who talks regularly to my cousins and aunts in Scotland."

As luck would have it, Tynes later became friends with former Bhoys idol Maurice Johnston while he was with Kansas City's MLS team.

Tynes arrived in Missouri via spells in the Canadian Football League and NFL Europe - the latter with the Scottish Claymores in Glasgow.

His father was a Master Chief in the US Navy and married his mother while based in Scotland.

The young Lawrence left Scotland at the age of 10 and went to high school in Milton, Florida, where he was teased over his Scottish accent. "It took me three or four years to lose it," he said.

Tynes began playing American football in the defensive position of safety, but quickly gravitated towards kicking.

"Playing soccer as a kid is definitely where it came from," he confirmed.

"But even in high school, I worked at it a lot. After the season was over, I would still practice my kicks three or four days a week on my own.

"I didn't even think about a career in the NFL until I was a junior at college at Troy State (also in Florida)."

Not that NFL stardom was just around the corner for the criminal justice student.

Originally signed by the Chiefs in April 2001, Tynes was released in early 2002, and had a season with the Claymores in Glasgow and two with the Ottawa Renegades in Canada.

"Playing for the Claymores was fun and we got good crowds at Hampden," he recalled. "The average was over 15,000, which isn't bad."

The form he showed with Ottawa prompted the Chiefs to re-sign him as a free agent in February 2004, and he eventually displaced Danish-born Morten Andersen, now the NFL's all-time leading scorer.

"I'll be the answer to a quiz question one day - the only guy to ever beat out Morten Andersen," Tynes laughed.

"He was still playing with Atlanta last season at the age of 46, so I'll be doing pretty well if my career lasts anywhere near as long as his."

That career could takes Tynes away from Kansas City in March, when he becomes a restricted free agent.

"It means I can talk to any team in the league, but if someone makes me an offer, the Chiefs have a week in which to match it," he explained.

Not that Tynes is necessarily in a hurry to swap Arrowhead Stadium for another home venue.

"I'm happy in Kansas and I want to stay here," he said. "It's not the best place in world to play, weather-wise, because it's cold and it snows.

"But I met my wife Amanda here. She's pregnant with twins which are due at the end of July, right before training camp begins - we're hoping for one of each."

Chiefs fans will be hoping Tynes is celebrating their birth in Kansas City this summer rather than any other NFL town.

---

I thought this was interesting. I don't know if I'd call him a "king" though.

Thig Lyfe 01-20-2007 10:46 AM

Another story about Tynes, using the exact same picture.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...ll/6280237.stm

Tynes sceptical over London game

By Mark Barden

Lawrence Tynes
Tynes helped the Chiefs reach this season's play-offs

Scottish-born NFL star Lawrence Tynes doubts whether staging a regular-season game in London will have a major impact on the sport's popularity in the UK.

Wembley is favourite to host the game this autumn, and Kansas City kicker Tynes told BBC Sport: "People will show up, even if it's just out of curiosity.

"The hardcore NFL fans will also be there, but I know the kind of hold soccer has over sports fans in the UK.

"I don't think that one game is really going to convert people."

Tynes, 30, lived in Scotland until his family moved to Florida when he was 10, and played a season in NFL Europe for the Scottish Claymores in 2002.

He predicted players on the two teams chosen for the game would also need to be convinced of its value to their league.

"It all depends on how it's handled," he said. "For me, it would be paramount to have an off-week after the game because of the long flights.

"There's also the question of how many days beforehand do the teams arrive in London, and what other stuff will they have to do while they're there.

"I know how guys in the NFL are about where and how they prepare for a game - players are really particular about these things.

"You are also taking away somebody's home game, and that's a huge thing in our league. Each team only has eight in the regular season and it's really hard to win on the road."

The Chiefs, who lost in the first round of the play-offs to Indianapolis, are one of six teams in the frame for London, although Miami and the New York Giants are tipped to make the trip.

Tynes added: "I guess I'm a little sceptical, but I want it to go well for the league, and it will be interesting to see how it all works out.

"Heck, if the Chiefs get to go, I might be the most popular guy on the team!"

StcChief 01-20-2007 11:44 AM

I'm still saying Chiefs / Packers
or
Chiefs / ViQueens

pr_capone 01-20-2007 12:11 PM

"Chiefs fans will be hoping Tynes is celebrating their birth in Kansas City this summer rather than any other NFL town."

ROFL

L.A. Chieffan 01-20-2007 12:13 PM

"Tynes however has still not mastered the art of PAT. Dumb Scot. Tea anyone?"

RealSNR 01-20-2007 12:15 PM

Silly Brits

RealSNR 01-20-2007 12:17 PM

Seriously, is this what they've come to? If there's an American kid who left the country when he was 10 and is now a mediocre goaltender in a professional Euro soccer league, he MIGHT get a story with his local paper. This is ****ing BBC we're talking about.

Is the NFLification of Europe complete yet?

boogblaster 01-20-2007 01:27 PM

Hope we can beat them..if not we are in for a long season...

Sure-Oz 01-20-2007 02:31 PM

I still think Tynes can be a pretty good kicker. Some of those moments he has had he needs to learn from. He seems to drill the real hard ones, but the ones he should make he has missed a few.

Easy 6 01-20-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz
I still think Tynes can be a pretty good kicker. Some of those moments he has had he needs to learn from. He seems to drill the real hard ones, but the ones he should make he has missed a few.

Agreed, he's still fairly young & has time to improve his consistency, i bet he will. Despite his often short kickoffs he has PLENTY of leg, a 53 yard FG at outdoor Arrowhead says so, his kickoffs must be a technique thing & that can be corrected.

I dont see any FA Jan Steneruds around to replace him either.

madshaw16 01-20-2007 05:15 PM

I think it would be a blessing if some other team would be stupid enough to make him an offer, I would love to see us land another kicker.

Easy 6 01-20-2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madshaw16
I think it would be a blessing if some other team would be stupid enough to make him an offer, I would love to see us land another kicker.

Who???

Do you REALLY want to spend a pick on one???

Do you REALLY want to spend more $$$ on one, who's the big upgrade out there that will be available???

FloridaMan88 01-20-2007 06:10 PM

Any kicker who can't make a 23 yard FG in a dome is garbage.

Easy 6 01-20-2007 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan88
Any kicker who can't make a 23 yard FG in a dome is garbage.

Any kicker who can make a game winning 53 yarder in the open air is pretty damn good.

Sure-Oz 01-20-2007 07:16 PM

Look at Vanderjagt, that guy is the mos accurate kicker and he don't even have a job. Tynes is hot and cold, but i think he'll get better,, we'll see.