ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals Joe Posnanski writes long awaited Frank White column (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267111)

alnorth 11-27-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9156369)
And he would've gotten fired and been bitter about that.

pretty much.

The Royals could have handled things better, and Frank White could have not been an angry, bitter ass. There is no winner here.

Unfortunately for Frank White, if we must declare a winner, it'll be the Royals because I'm not going to go watch the T-Bones play, and he's just going to be known as a good player with a statue who 30 years from now people will go "didn't something ugly happen with him after his career? Was it the 90's or 2000's? What happened again? I don't know, I forget. That statue's cool. Hey lets go get a hotdog and a beer before the game starts"

HemiEd 11-27-2012 10:40 AM

I was an avid fan of the Royals during the whole Frank White era. He was very good, probably taken for granted, but now he is legend.

gblowfish 11-27-2012 11:20 AM

Look at how the Royals have treated George Brett.
Look at how the Royals have treated Frank White.

Nuff said.

alnorth 11-27-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9156512)
Look at how the Royals have treated George Brett.

Uhhh....

Very well?

cdcox 11-27-2012 11:37 AM

I'm not a baseball fan but I was from about '72 through '85. I only remember Frank White as a player. In my memory he ranks well behind Brett, about the same as AO, and a little ahead of Mayberry and McCrae among players, not including pitchers. Really enjoyed watching him play.

gblowfish 11-27-2012 11:39 AM

If Frank was white, the Royals never would have done him like this.

Dartgod 11-27-2012 11:41 AM

This part makes me sad.

Quote:

So that year has a powerful meaning for Kansas City baseball fans. Many -- most, probably -- are just plain sick of hearing about 1985. This is the way time winds. At first, everyone still remembers 1985. Heck, it just happened. But soon, the kids have to be told about it. Soon after those kids are in middle school, then high school, and before long they are in college, they have graduated. And they don’t remember 1985.

And suddenly you look around and nobody under 30 or 35 has any recollection of the Royals actually winning anything. What they DO recollect is being told about 1985 their whole lives ... and told about it ... and told about it ... until they are sick of listening, sick of celebrating something they cannot remember, sick of the Royals never giving them their own memories to cherish.

teedubya 11-27-2012 11:41 AM

My 11 year old works out with Frank and his son at "The Yard" in Lee's Summit... and Frank is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. When you talk with him, he treats you like you are one of his lifelong friends.

Love that guy.

CoMoChief 11-27-2012 11:51 AM

I only know Frank White as the lonely drunk black man that gets bombed at the local Brew Top in Lees Summit.

Lex Luthor 11-27-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9156557)

You're too smart to actually believe this, so I assume you are joking.

The Royals treat George Brett differently than Frank White for the same reason the Yankees will treat Derek Jeter differently than Brett Gardner after both players retire.

siberian khatru 11-27-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

What, built a statue of him at the ballpark?

Brett has a make-work VP job because he is the best player in franchise history.

Frank is one of the top 5 all-time Royals. He has been inducted into the team's HOF, had his number retired, had a statue erected in his honor (only Brett has had all those honors). He's been a minor league manager, a major league coach and a broadcaster.

Duke Wathan got fired by the Royals. Hal McRae got fired by the Royals.

Let's not act like Frank was completely shit on by the Royals just because he lost a goddamn broadcasting job that he was mediocre at. To accuse them of racism is just obnoxious and WRONG.

BlackHelicopters 11-27-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Frank? Is that you? Isn't this what White has been covertly implying? I hope you are being sarcastic.

WilliamTheIrish 11-27-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

You must be kidding.

It's a broadcasting job, FF'sS. Fortunately I'm old enough to remember that he was the first 2B since Jackie Robinson to hit cleanup in WS game. And in that game he hit one of the longest HR's into LC field I've ever seen at (now the "Old") Busch Stadium to keep the Series alive.

He has a statue built. Is a member of the Royals HoF. I don't want him to be manager. **** that franchise. They don't deserve to have Frank as the MGR. And if Frank bitched at an official scorer, it was because he got to a ball and maybe muffed it, that 25 other 2B didn't have the range to get near.

GTFOOMF with that bullshit.

WilliamTheIrish 11-27-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9156627)
What, built a statue of him at the ballpark?

Brett has a make-work VP job because he is the best player in franchise history.

Frank is one of the top 5 all-time Royals. He has been inducted into the team's HOF, had his number retired, had a statue erected in his honor (only Brett has had all those honors). He's been a minor league manager, a major league coach and a broadcaster.

Duke Wathan got fired by the Royals. Hal McRae got fired by the Royals.

Let's not act like Frank was completely shit on by the Royals just because he lost a goddamn broadcasting job that he was mediocre at. To accuse them of racism is just obnoxious and WRONG.

Well.. F. I guess I should have the rest of the thread.

Titty Meat 11-27-2012 01:06 PM

Pathetic Royals fans will make up any excuse to support that shithole of a franchise.