ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Electronics DirecTV Genie Question....Please Help (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270643)

ChiefsFanatic 03-02-2013 12:20 PM

DirecTV Genie Question....Please Help

I have been told by several different employess at DirecTV that, YES, the Genie can be wirelss, and, NO, the Genie cannot be wireless.

We currently have an HR-22 HD Receiver in our front room, and a standard receiver in the basement. So, I know I would have to update the one in the living room.

But could the C31(?) devices be hooked to televisions in other rooms on our home network, or do I need hard wiring to each TV.

I am sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but DirecTV customer service was no help, and I have not been feeling well enough to look into it further on my own, Any help is greatly appreciated.

We really want whole home DVR service without switching to U-Verse, or having a hack come to our house and making a bunch of crappy wiring to each location.

Thanks in advance.

Chiefsfanatic

Carlota69 03-02-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 9456943)
I have been told by several different employess at DirecTV that, YES, the Genie can be wirelss, and, NO, the Genie cannot be wireless.

We currently have an HR-22 HD Receiver in our front room, and a standard receiver in the basement. So, I know I would have to update the one in the living room.

But could the C31(?) devices be hooked to televisions in other rooms on our home network, or do I need hard wiring to each TV.

I am sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but DirecTV customer service was no help, and I have not been feeling well enough to look into it further on my own, Any help is greatly appreciated.

We really want whole home DVR service without switching to U-Verse, or having a hack come to our house and making a bunch of crappy wiring to each location.

Thanks in advance.

Chiefsfanatic

I have whole home DVR with Directv. Im not sure why you cant? And it isnt connected to my wireless?

Scorp 03-02-2013 12:22 PM

Too Fat/Omaha

In58men 03-02-2013 12:33 PM

**** directv.

I'll never go back to that shit hole. Sorry ass customer service can kiss my ****ing ass.

FlaChief58 03-02-2013 12:35 PM

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure

BossChief 03-02-2013 12:47 PM

Yes. The client boxes need wired through a swm system.

Why not just switch to dish and get the hopper? You'd save money with a new customer offer and wouldn't have to come out of pocket for equipment.

The Bad Guy 03-02-2013 12:48 PM

Mine absolutely is wireless. They hook up a box to your router that connects it all.

The Bad Guy 03-02-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9456970)
**** directv.

I'll never go back to that shit hole. Sorry ass customer service can kiss my ****ing ass.

I've never had one problem with directv. Their customer service on my end has been top notch.

BossChief 03-02-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9456989)
Mine absolutely is wireless. They hook up a box to your router that connects it all.

I don't think he is talking about in internet connection.

The Rick 03-02-2013 02:35 PM

I'm not exactly sure if I'm using the correct terminology, but they have a switch (may be what someone earlier referred to as the SWM system) that all of the DVRs connect to via existing coax. That allows each of the DVRs to communicate with each other for the whole home DVR.

Then, like The Bad Guy was referring to, they have another device that connects to your router. Coax runs from the DIRECTV switch to the device that connects to your router. That allows all of the DVRs to connect to the Internet for updates, on demand stuff, etc.

So, to answer the original question, technically it's not wireless but you shouldn't have to run any additional cabling or anything for the most part.

BossChief 03-02-2013 02:49 PM

There is no difference between cabling for client boxes and any other receiver.

I install at least one a day.

BlackHelicopters 03-02-2013 02:55 PM

I thought this thread was about the hot bitch in the DirecTV commercials.

Mr. Laz 03-02-2013 03:41 PM

Tivo brand DVR's don't work with all of Directv's features and connections even though you pay extra for them.

Stewie 03-02-2013 03:47 PM

DirecTV has treated me like a champ. That being said, they understand my options for HD television are numerous and want my money. I currently pay $73/month for Choice Plus (250+ channels) and free Sunday Ticket. With five other options and Google fiber moving in it's a consumer orgasm.

RyFo18 03-02-2013 03:53 PM

Every receiver needs to be hooked up to the SWM switch w/ coax.