ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music My daughter wants to play guitar... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269236)

htismaqe 01-24-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9345644)
I have 3 guitars she could use but they're all standard, right-hand configurations and she's left-handed.

My wife thinks I should teach her to play right-handed. Since she's never played before, it won't be like she'd have to unlearn anything.

However, I'm concerned that I could be potentially limiting her later on because she might not ever fully develop the dexterity she might have otherwise developed if I had just gotten her a left-handed guitar to start with.

Shit, I just realized what kind of situation you ****ers have put me in...

:facepalm:

stevieray 01-24-2013 10:29 AM

I'm a lefty and play golf right handed..she'll be fine.

....it's all in your head, anyway.

KCBOSS1 01-24-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

I have 3 guitars she could use but they're all standard, right-hand configurations and she's left-handed.

My wife thinks I should teach her to play right-handed. Since she's never played before, it won't be like she'd have to unlearn anything.

However, I'm concerned that I could be potentially limiting her later on because she might not ever fully develop the dexterity she might have otherwise developed if I had just gotten her a left-handed guitar to start with.

If she becomes a serious player, it is more difficult to find preferred equipment lefthanded. I started teaching my son to play right handed as well (he's a lefty). I think if you already have the equipment, check to see how well she responds and how perservering she is. I don't know, so far my son hasn't shown the followthru to prove me right.

Omaha 01-24-2013 10:58 AM

I would want my dominant hand picking and strumming. Dexterity comes pretty quick with practice.

htismaqe 01-24-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCBOSS1 (Post 9347253)
If she becomes a serious player, it is more difficult to find preferred equipment lefthanded. I started teaching my son to play right handed as well (he's a lefty). I think if you already have the equipment, check to see how well she responds and how perservering she is. I don't know, so far my son hasn't shown the followthru to prove me right.

Yeah, that's a big part of it.

I don't want to lay down a 40% premium for a lefty axe only to have her quit in a year...

Nirvana58 01-24-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9347295)
I would want my dominant hand picking and strumming. Dexterity comes pretty quick with practice.

Exactly. You guys act like this girl is going to be shredding through scales. I would want my dominant hand doing the strumming or picking. Really depends what kind of guitarist she is but if she is learning acoustic which I think all beginners should start with. Definetly don't create a larger learning curve by forcing her to play right. You can buy a cheap left handed guitar to see how she responds

King_Chief_Fan 01-24-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

restring the rightie to allow her to learn it leftie (yes I know the pick gaurd will be upside down)......if she sticks with it, you go buy her a new leftie.

Rausch 01-24-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

If she wants it do what you can and hook her up lefty.

She'll pass through a phase or make you proud and keep with it...

Dartgod 01-24-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 9347213)
I'm a lefty and play golf right handed..she'll be fine.

....it's all in your head, anyway.

I've seen you golf. :evil:

Stewie 01-24-2013 11:41 AM

This is an interesting topic.

I started playing drums at a young age (righty). I was pretty accomplished and when I was a freshman in HS I met another fellow drummer who was left handed. We were both in orchestra and other band combos (jazz, etc). We both had our drum kits at school and I started messing around with his left handed kit. I sucked at first, but after a while I got to the point I liked playing lefty as much as righty. It also made for some interesting variations doing things I normally did right handed on a left handed kit. I improved a lot in that short amount of time compared to the previous months/years.

Rausch 01-24-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 9347502)
I've seen you golf. :evil:

True.

But not sober and with intent.

htismaqe 01-24-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan (Post 9347429)
restring the rightie to allow her to learn it leftie (yes I know the pick gaurd will be upside down)......if she sticks with it, you go buy her a new leftie.

The nut is grooved for right-handed strings.

You can't just turn it upside down.

htismaqe 01-24-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana58 (Post 9347366)
Exactly. You guys act like this girl is going to be shredding through scales. I would want my dominant hand doing the strumming or picking. Really depends what kind of guitarist she is but if she is learning acoustic which I think all beginners should start with. Definetly don't create a larger learning curve by forcing her to play right. You can buy a cheap left handed guitar to see how she responds

If she plays righty, I don't have to buy a guitar. I have a half dozen of them.

Sorter 01-24-2013 11:44 AM

Spanish Classical. She should learn to read music, it will help open doors later (playing piano, violin, etc)

Sorter 01-24-2013 11:45 AM

Let her mess around with both left and right handed guitars and see what feels more comfortable. Some people are left handed but prefer a right handed guitar.