ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money Powerball jackpot.....500 million and growing! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267119)

Brock 11-27-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9157534)
I'm in a 70 person group that each spends $5 every time that lottery gets higher than $100 million. Thats 350 tickets. If you win its only a couple of million but its better odds than playing alone and its a fun little thing to do.

That's 175 tickets, actually.

BigRedChief 11-27-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9157482)
Sounds like something that would get boring quick.

well then you could make Austin Chief an offer he couldn't refuse. ;)

BigRedChief 11-27-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9157543)
That's 175 tickets, actually.

70X5 =350/ awww who cares, its wasted money anyways.:p

I think I do it just because I was honored to be asked to join their group.

Brock 11-27-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9157566)
70X5 =350/ awww who cares, its wasted money anyways.:p

I think I do it just because I was honored to be asked to join their group.

The tickets cost 2 dollars.

crazycoffey 11-27-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9157583)

I just flashed to the better off dead newspaper delivery boy, "that's two dollars, plus tip" as he opens the switch blade comb

BigRedChief 11-27-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9157583)

no shit, since when is it not a dollar? When did it go up?

Rain Man 11-27-2012 05:47 PM

I think the most fun part about winning this would be handing out the occasional $1,000 tip at a restaurant while living my nomadic life across the country. I've always fantasized about being an anonymous guy who walks in, does some good, and then disappears forever, leaving people to tell the story for the rest of their life.

The 'most fun' statement above assumes that my marital status would deny me the whole '2 chicks at the same time' part. However, if I brought home the winning ticket, it would be a really good time to ask.

Rain Man 11-27-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9157594)
no shit, since when is it not a dollar? When did it go up?

About six months ago, maybe a year. I'm curious how it turned out for them. Doubling the price seems like it would damage the market, but at the same time they actually improved some elements, like the likelihood of getting a decently big prize even if you don't hit the big one.

I've always thought that instead of making these insanely large payouts, they should spin off toward more million-dollar winners. So increase the jackpot normally until it hits something like $250 million, but after that you divert half the money toward increasing the lower prizes. I think it would be better for the game to create one winner of $250 million and 100 winners of $1 million, than to create one winner of $350 million.

Fish 11-27-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9157449)
Actually, this isn't true.

The statistics are skewed when it comes to the lottery. The odds of picking the correct number of a random 6 number drawing are astronomical.

The odds of winning the lottery are much, much better.

Why?

Because someone always wins the lottery. Someone is GOING to win this lottery, if not this drawing then the next.

That means that of the, let's just say, 2 million tickets sold for this drawing, at least one will win. Even if one doesn't, and a million MORE people join the party, bringing the total cost of tickets up to 5 million for both drawings, you now have a 1 in 2.5 million chance of winning.

This is a closed system, so your odds of winning are greatly increased by the fact that A) Someone will win, and B) that winner will come from a limited group of players.

What kind of math are you using here? The fact that "Somebody" will win doesn't change the requirement that you still have to pick the correct sequence of 6 numbers in order to do so. The odds of picking the correct sequence of numbers remains the same, regardless of how many people are trying. They don't remove the losing number sequences that have already been picked, so the number of people playing is irrelevant. You're still playing against all other possible number sequences, not all other possible players.

SAUTO 11-27-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 9157651)
What kind of math are you using here? The fact that "Somebody" will win doesn't change the requirement that you still have to pick the correct sequence of 6 numbers in order to do so. The odds of picking the correct sequence of numbers remains the same, regardless of how many people are trying. They don't remove the losing number sequences that have already been picked, so the number of people playing is irrelevant. You're still playing against all other possible number sequences, not all other possible players.

This. By his logic someone would win every draw.

Right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish 11-27-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by journeyscarab (Post 9157431)

If I didn't have any responsibility and a little bit of money... I'd buy one of these places and grow a shit ton of pot....

Nightfyre 11-27-2012 07:15 PM

So you would net like 196 million if you took the lump sum. I know what I would do with that kind of dough!

Psyko Tek 11-27-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9156699)
I don't like how lottery pampers to the low income and old people.

pampers?
well that is usually what my tickets are good for
max lottery win
$7
bought a 6 pack

BigRedChief 11-27-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9157824)
So you would net like 196 million if you took the lump sum. I know what I would do with that kind of dough!

Buy ChiefsPlanet?

displacedinMN 11-27-2012 07:22 PM

odds are 1 in 175,000,000

IF I have done my math right:
175,000,000 nickels stacked up would run over 130 miles.

you have to pick the one nickel that is the winning nickel.

Yet we still play.