ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2012 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254491)

Omaha 01-06-2012 12:13 AM

I'm becoming increasingly obsessed with crossfit. Quite a cihange for me.

Silock 01-06-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8267813)
Food recommendations for a 26 yr old bachelor who doesn't cook?!

Buy a grill.

Silock 01-06-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega (Post 8267825)
Hey Silock, what's a good starting weights routine for women? I got a bitch who is clueless and skinny as shit. She needs a simple guide.

Same as for men. Starting strength and 5x5. She won't get hyooooj. That requires testosterone. But she will be strong and fit. And women who do squats have great asses.

Silock 01-06-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Short Leash Hootie (Post 8267864)
who wants to help a brother out?

I'm about to start running again...I'm talking intervals mainly...probably 6 2 minute intervals of hard running, 1 minute rest, 2 minute etc...

so I have my cardio down...

I want a few basic lifts to add into that...

I'm 6'3" 200 lbs. I'm looking to tone up a bit...drop a few lbs off the ol' gut.

Anyone have like 3 or 4 lifts I can do on Monday, Wednesday and Friday to add in to my cardio workouts? I'll probably run 4 or 5 times a week...I have access to a gym...I don't do cleans because I don't like doing cleans in a busy gym...and I prefer free weights but don't mind squats or bench.

Someone help me out, please =)

See first post in thread.

Simply Red 01-06-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

I'm about to start running again...I'm talking intervals mainly...probably 6 2 minute intervals of hard running, 1 minute rest, 2 minute etc...

I'm 6'3" 200 lbs. I'm looking to tone up a bit...drop a few lbs off the ol' gut.

Anyone have like 3 or 4 lifts I can do on Monday, Wednesday and Friday to add in to my cardio workouts? I'll probably run 4 or 5 times a week...I have access to a gym...I don't do cleans because I don't like doing cleans in a busy gym...and I prefer free weights but don't mind squats or bench.

Slow your pace and no rests, maybe one per four mis. Be certain you have good shoes. Brooks are the best for me.

morphius 01-06-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

I thought most hiit workouts were more in the minute sprint/minute jog or less. I haven't looked a ton, but I haven't seen much of anything over a minute, but I've found lots that were shorter. I've been do a 10 minute/minute intervals and it has definitely been kicking my ass a lot more than a good run.

I'll not that I do mine up on an elliptical, 'cause that is what I have available to me.

memyselfI 01-06-2012 08:08 AM

I am reading a shit ton about cardio and weights. Not much about stretching. Hopefully you guys are integrating a good stretching program into your regimens. It may not be of utmost importance in your 20 or early 30s but as you age it become huge.

penguinz 01-06-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 8268097)
I am reading a shit ton about cardio and weights. Not much about stretching. Hopefully you guys are integrating a good stretching program into your regimens. It may not be of utmost importance in your 20 or early 30s but as you age it become huge.

If you are going to stretch do not do it cold. You should never stretch a muscle before it has 'warmed' up.

Personally I find stretching worthless.

BigCatDaddy 01-06-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Only before sex.

Omaha 01-06-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 8268196)
If you are going to stretch do not do it cold. You should never stretch a muscle before it has 'warmed' up.

Personally I find stretching worthless.

Everything I've been reading says this. I do a warmup and some light stretching (mostly out of habit) before my workout & then some light stretching as I cool down. Exception: I do stretch my calves quite a bit after running barefoot. That seems to help.

A little off topic: I had a doctor recently tell me that I should never stretch an injury. He said that stretching usually does more harm than good with an injury.

Omaha 01-06-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Today's WOD for me is a similar deal. (1/4 mile in 2 min, walk 2 min) x 6.

I'll be increasing the # of intervals each week until I get to 16. Are you increasing the # of intervals each week?

Hootie 01-06-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreLemonPledge (Post 8267872)
All you really need is squat, bench, deadlift, and bent-over row. All compound exercises that, together, hit every major muscle group.

Explain proper technique of deadlift and bent-over row please! And 5x5?

NewChief 01-06-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Warmup is important. Stretching, not so much. Now doing specific exercises to promote and enhance flexibility (not the same thing as bending down and touching your toes to supposedly prevent an injury during workout) is worthwhile. Most people, though, waste their time with their stretching, imo.

Start Croyle 01-06-2012 12:08 PM

I am about 6 feet and 160 pounds, down from 195 about a year and a half ago! All I did was just eat better and infrequently do cardio exercise. I am not overweight anymore according to the 'body mass index', however, I have a high amount of body fat and not much muscle! I am a skinny fat person!

I have heard that what serious bodybuilders and lifters will do is 'cut down' to around 10% body fat, then eat a ton of (healthy) calories every day while performing intense strength training. The calorie excess ensures the most muscle growth possible! After doing this 'bulk up', they cut back again and try to lose a lot of the fat they gained.

My plan is to follow something like what I just described! I will try to stay at approximately the same weight or lose maybe 10 more pounds while doing moderate strength training until I am more lean. Then, when I reach that goal I will eat like a crazy person while hitting the gym every day!

My problem right now though is my left shoulder. I feel a sharp spike of pain in my shoulder when I use it for almost any kind of gym activity. I also sometimes feel it when I reach or carry something in daily life! In fact, my whole left arm is weaker than my right, maybe because I have been favoring the other arm.

A doctor told me that my rotator cuff has some inflammation and told me to take Aleve every day for two weeks. It's been almost two weeks and I haven't done anything with that shoulder, except sometimes move my arm around to see how it feels. It doesn't feel much different!

Should I go back to the doctor? Try some kind of rehabilitation exercise? Just pretend I only have one arm?

lewdog 01-06-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Short Leash Hootie (Post 8268557)
Explain proper technique of deadlift and bent-over row please! And 5x5?

Type in "Madcow 5x5" to google man, you should find the exact written out routine. bodybuilding.com has an exercise page that show you the form on most lifts.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/