ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Niners narrow top pick down to four (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=113814)

ChiefsCountry 04-08-2005 12:38 PM

Niners narrow top pick down to four

Good for us - no Derrick Johnson. Bad news - Antrel Rolle.

----------------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2032395

Niners hope to have decision known by next week

SAN FRANCISCO -- Mike Nolan has narrowed the San Francisco 49ers' list of probable No. 1 draft choices to four names. That list will get even smaller in the next week -- perhaps even shrinking down to one name before next weekend.

Quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith, receiver Braylon Edwards and cornerback Antrel Rolle will visit the 49ers' training complex in Santa Clara over the next five days for interviews and possible workouts with the club's new coaching staff.

After wrapping up his first minicamp last weekend, coach Mike Nolan is spending most of his time these days getting ready to make the first overall pick. While he still would entertain offers to trade down, he has zeroed in on those four college stars as the finalists for the big bucks and big expectations that come with being the top selection.

"We should know in a week or so," Nolan said. "We have people we think [about], and then we kind of oscillate a little bit, but it is very close with those players. If you took any one of them, I think you've got an NFL player that is going to play very well for very long.

"It really gets down to ... who do we want our football team to look like, and who matches all of those things the very best."

The 49ers have holes in almost every area of their roster after finishing a league-worst 2-14 last season. Given complete authority by owner John York to rebuild the club, Nolan has installed a new 3-4 defense, replaced nearly every coach from Dennis Erickson's staff and revamped San Francisco's personnel department.

But the draft will be the biggest day so far for Nolan and Scot McCloughan, the new vice president of player personnel. The 49ers also have the first picks of the second and third rounds, and Nolan hopes to land immediate starters with all three choices.

Nolan already has spoken to the agents for all four possible No. 1 selections, and the Niners' front office plans to hold contract discussions with all four before Nolan makes his decision. But Nolan claimed the players' financial demands won't determine the Niners' draft choice.

"It could factor in to some degree, but certainly we want to get the best player for us most importantly," he said.

Rodgers, the hard-throwing California product, is considered the favorite -- though Smith impressed the club in a workout in Salt Lake City earlier this week. The 49ers wanted to see Smith's effectiveness while taking snaps under center, which he rarely did during Utah's undefeated season.

But Rodgers' poise, technique and arm strength have impressed Nolan, who has expressed his desire for a quarterback who's also a commanding leader. Tim Rattay, the undersized seventh-round draft pick who started nine games last season while battling several injuries, has been quiet and seemingly unassertive during his tenure with the 49ers, though Nolan praised his quick grasp of their new offense.

The 49ers desperately need an athletic receiver as good as Edwards, who might be the best player available. They have discussed signing troubled veteran David Boston, though Nolan doesn't plan to pursue the former Arizona star seriously until after the draft.

siberian khatru 04-08-2005 12:41 PM

Quote:

That list will get even smaller in the next week -- perhaps even shrinking down to one name before next weekend.
Gee, you think?

ChiefsCountry 04-08-2005 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru
Gee, you think?

That Techier quality right there.

BigChiefFan 04-08-2005 12:47 PM

I'm surprised they aren't looking at a HB.

ChiefsCountry 04-08-2005 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan

Running back is deep this year, you can get a good quality back in the 2nd or 3rd round.

nascher 04-08-2005 12:48 PM

Rolle = Smokescreen

ChiefsCountry 04-08-2005 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nascher
Rolle = Smokescreen

Try Edwards for that matter.

Lzen 04-08-2005 12:54 PM

I'm betting on the 9ers getting a QB. They need a franchise QB bad.

beavis 04-08-2005 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen

I don't think there is one in this draft.

BIG_DADDY 04-08-2005 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen

If I was the QB they were considering I would blow it intentionally when they invited me out. As long as York is running that place they are doomed.

DaKCMan AP 04-08-2005 02:23 PM

I doubt it's Edwards or Rolle. Over the last few years they've spent high picks on Ahmed Plummer, Mike Rumpf, and Rashaun Woods.

Rocky 04-08-2005 05:24 PM

They should get braylon edwards or mike wiiliams becuse the QB's are weak that are in this years draft they should look to a wide out.

SoCalBronco 04-08-2005 05:41 PM

I hope Antrel gets it. He deserves it.
Hurricanes Rolle!

whoman69 04-08-2005 05:44 PM

They have already made their selection. No way you go top player overall for a CB in the draft. They are now just trying to guage signability. It will either be Braylon or one of the QBs. That doesn't change things for us at all.

LiL stumppy 04-08-2005 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan

They have a good RB,just not a OL