ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Updating my Weber grill... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273091)

FlaChief58 05-15-2013 06:20 PM

I smoke & grill with propane and have never had any complaints concerning a gas taste. OTOH, I cant say the same when I used charcoal back in the day.

I like the fact that I have excellent control of the temp, and setup is so much quicker, not to mention I dont have to **** with the fire all day while I'm trying to entertain my family & friends.

chiefzilla1501 05-15-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9685201)
I smoke & grill with propane and have never had any complaints concerning a gas taste. OTOH, I cant say the same when I used charcoal back in the day.

I like the fact that I have excellent control of the temp, and setup is so much quicker, not to mention I dont have to **** with the fire all day while I'm trying to entertain my family & friends.

This. Smoking is great on gas especially with a water pan.

KCFaninSEA 05-15-2013 07:24 PM

I have had my Weber for about 10 years. It still looks and performs as if brand new. I did change the grilling surface and flavor bars and they are a bit expensive but when they go in it is like brand new again. The quickness of going from start up to done is great. Temperature settings work great and I have a rotisserie that I cook Christmas Prime Rib with every year. Never a complaint, comes out perfect every time. How can anybody go wrong with that.

A Salt Weapon 05-15-2013 08:12 PM

FYI: you can turn an LP grill into nat gas by drilling out the orifice and removing the regulator.

A Salt Weapon 05-15-2013 08:19 PM

Pretty impressive that you can "taste" gas, carbon dioxide and water vapor is the byproduct of properly combusted propane, or if you are smelling mercaptan and tasting it via smell, fill up your bottle or buy a new one.

Ming the Merciless 05-15-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Salt Weapon (Post 9685399)
Pretty impressive that you can "taste" gas, carbon dioxide and water vapor is the byproduct of properly combusted propane, or if you are smelling mercaptan and tasting it via smell, fill up your bottle or buy a new one.

you are giving too much credit to a reerun.

he is full of shit

rep for being nice tho

A Salt Weapon 05-15-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9685452)
you are giving too much credit to a reerun.

he is full of shit

rep for being nice tho

Well thank you. Pretty impressive rep stick you have there too.

tooge 05-15-2013 09:39 PM

First off, u aren't bbqing on direct heat, u are grilling.
Second, gas doesn't impart flavor at all because it burns "clean", whereas charcoal or wood do impart a flavor. I haven't used lighter fluid in 20 years. A chimney does the trick in 20 mins. They shouldn't even sell that crap

007 05-15-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9685796)
First off, u aren't bbqing on direct heat, u are grilling.
Second, gas doesn't impart flavor at all because it burns "clean", whereas charcoal or wood do impart a flavor. I haven't used lighter fluid in 20 years. A chimney does the trick in 20 mins. They shouldn't even sell that crap

shit, I purchased a chimney and it takes much longer than 20 minutes for me. I threw the thing out. I don't care if the lighter fluid affects the taste since I don't use much and I am not even in the same ballpark as an expert griller. I don't have the patience for that.

To be honest, I am just waiting for a good deal on a gas grill again and will probably sell my weber.

Sears had a decent deal on a 4 burner unit but they wouldn't give the warranty for it because it was a floor model. Even though it had NEVER been used.

Simply Red 05-15-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9684740)
This is not my Bullet, nor is it my charcoal grill. This is my natural gas (NG) Weber grill that I've had for 13 years. It's a freaking rock star for convenience.

There were internal parts showing some significant wear and some were falling apart. The worst culprits were the flavorizer bars and the cooking grate. I searched and searched for reasonable replacement parts but holy moly they're expensive. Fortunately, I found a guy in Poplar Bluff, MO that makes stainless flavorizer bars for much less than Weber (or their retailers) charges for enameled steel. I got them today and they fit perfectly! I bit the bullet and paid $40 for new grates. Not much of a choice out there for those.

I thought about buying a new NG grill (NG is more money), but the similar model to mine (Weber Genesis Gold) is now pushing $1000! Sheesh! I paid $299 in 2000.

Everything else looks great. The SS burners are nearly pristine after all these years.

Anyone else been through a Weber update? It ain't cheap, but damn they last a long time.

Stewie, yes I have - it's worth the $35 bucks or so.

The Webers are good burger grills.

007 05-16-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 9686175)
Did it feel good sliding in?

That statement combined with your username made me LMAO

Ming the Merciless 05-16-2013 02:24 AM

i have the weirdest boner

mikeyis4dcats. 05-16-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9686051)
shit, I purchased a chimney and it takes much longer than 20 minutes for me. I threw the thing out. I don't care if the lighter fluid affects the taste since I don't use much and I am not even in the same ballpark as an expert griller. I don't have the patience for that.

To be honest, I am just waiting for a good deal on a gas grill again and will probably sell my weber.

Sears had a decent deal on a 4 burner unit but they wouldn't give the warranty for it because it was a floor model. Even though it had NEVER been used.

how would they prevent you from having a warranty? were they going to mark the receipt?

A Salt Weapon 05-16-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 9686175)
Did it feel good sliding in?

It wasn't bad, I was a little scared at first and peed a bit.

morphius 05-16-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9686051)

What kind of chimney, my weber one is awesome. Don't even really feel like we are waiting on it.