ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Chip Kelly is close to a deal to become the Browns coach (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268497)

Pasta Little Brioni 01-04-2013 05:20 PM

...reach for Hermy Jr. Eggo

Bewbies 01-04-2013 05:20 PM

The Browns own their own stadium, they're one of the most valuable franchises in the NFL. They've got the money.

Dante84 01-04-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9281879)
Kelly using the Browns as a stepping stone.

He works there for 2 or 3 years, big teams see that his system will work in the NFL, big time paycheck coming his way.

When was the last time an NFL coach, without being fired first (or clearly on the outs because of lack of success), made a lateral move to another team?

Basically what I'm asking is, has anyone ever had success and jumped ship to a better market? That's SOP in NCAA, not so much in the NFL.

The Franchise 01-04-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9281924)
Another reason the Browns are a questionable choice. If he is going to bring his kind of football in the NFL, it's been shown in college that big physical teams can slow it down.

So he goes to the AFC North? The SEC defenses of the NFL?

The Ravens and Steelers defenses are both getting old and slow.

chiefzilla1501 01-04-2013 05:24 PM

What's bad about the choice? Kelly has an ascending defense and a QB who is very comfortable in the spread. And apart from Trent Richardson and Joe Thomas, he pretty much has license to tear that offense apart and build it in his own image.

It's so interesting that Kelly was #1 on everyone's list now all of a sudden he's not. Love Reid coming to KC, but the Browns hit a grand slam with this one. They decided to go big or go home. Kelly will either bust or he's going to be a huge success. I think he has the organizational skills and is a brilliant offensive mind and he's going to find some way to make it work.

Good for the Brownies. They deserve a big hire like this.

whoman69 01-04-2013 05:26 PM

Kelly is not going to be able to go all out in this system. They just don't have the personnel to be doing this in the pros. He's also going to have his defense on the field the whole game. Spurrier found out you can't just put a college system in the pros and expect it to work. Even RG3 has some pro elements to their game. RG3 will need to expand his game. They spoon fed it this year with him only needing to read half the field.

htismaqe 01-04-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9281947)
What's bad about the choice? Kelly has an ascending defense and a QB who is very comfortable in the spread. And apart from Trent Richardson and Joe Thomas, he pretty much has license to tear that offense apart and build it in his own image.

It's so interesting that Kelly was #1 on everyone's list now all of a sudden he's not. Love Reid coming to KC, but the Browns hit a grand slam with this one. They decided to go big or go home. Kelly will either bust or he's going to be a huge success. I think he has the organizational skills and is a brilliant offensive mind and he's going to find some way to make it work.

Chip Kelly wasn't even on my list, let alone #1.

His spread offense isn't going to work in the NFL. It's predicated on running the ball and having a massive speed differential between his guys and the opponent. The playing field is too level in the NFL.

O.city 01-04-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9281991)

His spread offense isn't going to work in the NFL. It's predicated on running the ball and having a massive speed differential between his guys and the opponent. The playing field is too level in the NFL.

Lotta guys were saying that "other teams have been picking Kelly's brain, etc."

But look at the teams doing that. Alot of teams have some of the concepts in their system, but as far as a complete offense of that? I'm not sold it would work, but I also don't think he's gonna stick strictly with it.

htismaqe 01-04-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9282008)
Lotta guys were saying that "other teams have been picking Kelly's brain, etc."

But look at the teams doing that. Alot of teams have some of the concepts in their system, but as far as a complete offense of that? I'm not sold it would work, but I also don't think he's gonna stick strictly with it.

I don't either.

But like they were talking about on the telecast last night, he offense isn't going to determine success or failure in the NFL anyway.

Being an effective NFL head coach is SO much more than X's and O's.

Bewbies 01-04-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9281991)

If he comes in and tries to make Oregon in the NFL he will suck. If he uses his tempo, attacking style and creativity to do something that looks more like a faster Saints (for example) he could kill it.

Buehler445 01-04-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9281947)

I wanted him. Still want him more than Reid, but I'm super happy with Reid.

O.city 01-04-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9282011)
I don't either.

But like they were talking about on the telecast last night, he offense isn't going to determine success or failure in the NFL anyway.

Being an effective NFL head coach is SO much more than X's and O's.

Yeah, I like what he brings to the table in that situation too though.

He would have been an exciting hire in KC, in 2008. Not at this point, IMO.

Buehler445 01-04-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 9282017)
If he comes in and tries to make Oregon in the NFL he will suck. If he uses his tempo, attacking style and creativity to do something that looks more like a faster Saints (for example) he could kill it.

This. I want innovation. Not necessarily Oregon.

RunKC 01-04-2013 05:46 PM

I can really see Weeden doing well in his system. OSU had a quick spread offense too.

htismaqe 01-04-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 9282017)

That puts a lot of pressure on the defense. He's going to have to temper it some, I think.