ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life So I fixed my own AC unit (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272731)

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-02-2013 07:03 PM

So I fixed my own AC unit

Every year I have to recharge my AC unit 2 times to get through the summer. Normally $125. This year they told me Freon has gone way up due to the gov trying to do away with it and it will cost $700 to recharge. They tell me I really need to think about replacing my system , which they have said every year. It is original to the house built in 1977 so its 33 years old. So they tell me it's gonna cost $5000-$7000 off the hip but they will send a guy over to give me a definite price. I tell the wife , screw that !

Three days later Sam shows up , he measures the house and tours the attic, comes back down and whips out his computer. He first shows me that I have 3 inches of blown insulation in my attic where as I should have 13 inches. He talks to me for 2 hours to get all the details, how many people, number of showers taken , how much cooking is done in the kitchen and so on. Then he starts printing off estimates of new systems. The first one is $17,000 and they work their way down to $5000. He shows me how the most effecient system will save me $1100 / year in energy savings. Then to reinsulate the attic another $6000 which alone will save me another $800 a year. They seal everything tight in the process.

So after much debate I went ahead and got the Cadillac system and put it all on a new credit card at o% for 21 months.

Gee I sure feel ****in cozy now. :(

Rain Man 05-02-2013 07:06 PM

For that kind of money you could have imported an Egyptian peasant to fan you with a palm frond. It might be less efficient but it would be much more prestigious.

Aries Walker 05-02-2013 07:15 PM

Your old one was about twice the average life span of an air conditioner, so good call. They're right about the Freon; they're phasing it out in favor of Puron, which doesn't harm the ozone layer. Spending $11,000 to save $1,900 per year can't be beat; assuming you're not planning to move, you'll be in the black in about six years.

You did everything right.

Tombstone RJ 05-02-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 9653699)
Your old one was about twice the average life span of an air conditioner, so good call. They're right about the Freon; they're phasing it out in favor of Puron, which doesn't harm the ozone layer. Spending $11,000 to save $1,900 per year can't be beat; assuming you're not planning to move, you'll be in the black in about six years.

You did everything right.

I wouldn't have put it on a credit card. If I needed that kind of money and I don't have the cash, I'd get a loan at the local credit union. I'd pay the loan off pretty quickly too and then I'd still have the cc in case of emergencies or something.

I have a relative who bought a car on a credit card so it's doable. But really, why go that route when a small loan that you can pay off in a few years makes so much more sense?

Dave Lane 05-02-2013 07:28 PM

Wow glad I have a wholesale account at a AC distributor here in town. Got the 95% 5 ton cadillac for $2200.

HonestChieffan 05-02-2013 07:28 PM

Pennies in boar cum

ghak99 05-02-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9653722)
I wouldn't have put it on a credit card. If I needed that kind of money and I don't have the cash, I'd get a loan at the local credit union. I'd pay the loan off pretty quickly too and then I'd still have the cc in case of emergencies or something.

I have a relative who bought a car on a credit card so it's doable. But really, why go that route when a small loan that you can pay off in a few years makes so much more sense?

It doesn't matter where you go, you can't beat 0% for 21 months.

Oxford 05-02-2013 07:30 PM

Check your local utility for rebates, check govts for tax rebates/credits

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-02-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford (Post 9653746)
Check your local utility for rebates, check govts for tax rebates/credits

Yeah, I forgot to mention $1500 rebate as well as a $500 tax credit.

I've used 0% cc for years. as long as you are disciplined and pay them off it's FREE money.

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-02-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9653678)
For that kind of money you could have imported an Egyptian peasant to fan you with a palm frond. It might be less efficient but it would be much more prestigious.

That would be nice but it might be a Muslim and I really am not to partial to muslims right now. But if she's hot i might be willing to accept a temporary palming if she agrees not to blow me up.

jd1020 05-02-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9653669)
Every year I have to recharge my AC unit 2 times to get through the summer. Normally $125. This year they told me Freon has gone way up due to the gov trying to do away with it and it will cost $700 to recharge. They tell me I really need to think about replacing my system , which they have said every year. It is original to the house built in 1977 so its 33 years old. So they tell me it's gonna cost $5000-$7000 off the hip but they will send a guy over to give me a definite price. I tell the wife , screw that !

Three days later Sam shows up , he measures the house and tours the attic, comes back down and whips out his computer. He first shows me that I have 3 inches of blown insulation in my attic where as I should have 13 inches. He talks to me for 2 hours to get all the details, how many people, number of showers taken , how much cooking is done in the kitchen and so on. Then he starts printing off estimates of new systems. The first one is $17,000 and they work their way down to $5000. He shows me how the most effecient system will save me $1100 / year in energy savings. Then to reinsulate the attic another $6000 which alone will save me another $800 a year. They seal everything tight in the process.

So after much debate I went ahead and got the Cadillac system and put it all on a new credit card at o% for 21 months.

Gee I sure feel ****in cozy now. :(

I would imagine your old system was running on R22 which was discontinued in 2010, I believe, and the price has gone up as its been replaced with R410.

If you had to have the thing refilled twice a year you had a pretty good leak going on.

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-02-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9653722)

Umm. 0% for 21 months is cheaper than any credit union on the face of the planet.

Aries Walker 05-02-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9653761)
I would imagine your old system was running on R22 which was discontinued in 2010, I believe, and the price has gone up as its been replaced with R410.

If you had to have the thing refilled twice a year you had a pretty good leak going on.

Agreed on both.

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-02-2013 07:46 PM

By the way , the coolest thing about this system is the thermostat which is hooked to the internet. I can set the temp from my cell phone or my laptop, so if i want the house cooled down before i get home I can just drop the temp a few degrees.

also , hehe, the wife doesn't know I can adjust it .And EVERY time she moves the thermostat i get an email. She likes it warm 72 and I like it at 68 so I will now win this battle. She moved it 4 frickin times today !

Simply Red 05-02-2013 07:48 PM

let's get a chiefs' fans response .gif please