ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Breaking Bad (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204659)

KcMizzou 08-23-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 7846013)

Sweet. New desktop background.

Reaper16 08-23-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 7846192)

Oh, nice find. I expected them to be killed, so it is nice to hear that it's very possible they were.

Brock 08-23-2011 07:31 PM

When Hank asked what was going to happen to them, I think the guy should have just said "what do you think?"

NewChief 08-23-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7845345)
It's not sincerely playing to the begrudged, fantasizing white dude set. This show isn't Dirty Harry. It isn't Falling Down. It does overlap with some of those fantasies, but either to demonstrate how flawed they are or to have the audience question why they thought a scene was so awesome when, really, it's indicative of something awful and/or pathetic.

Eh, I don't know. I think there's a certain amount of playing to the lowest common denominator while, maybe, simultaneously taking a piss at it. I certainly think there's an element of, "Wouldn't it be fun to be the badass crime lord" visceral pleasure in watching the show, and I appreciate that while also appreciating some of the "deeper" shit that's being done by the writers and directors.

I think good television (and film and music) can be enjoyed on multiple levels, which in some ways separates it from Literature (notice the big L) which tends to be an elitist genre.

Reaper16 08-23-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 7846493)
Eh, I don't know. I think there's a certain amount of playing to the lowest common denominator while, maybe, simultaneously taking a piss at it. I certainly think there's an element of, "Wouldn't it be fun to be the badass crime lord" visceral pleasure in watching the show, and I appreciate that while also appreciating some of the "deeper" shit that's being done by the writers and directors.

I think good television (and film and music) can be enjoyed on multiple levels, which in some ways separates it from Literature (notice the big L) which tends to be an elitist genre.

Where has BB played to the lowest common denominator? I think I missed those scenes.

Demonpenz 08-23-2011 08:57 PM

walt pisses in a sink.

NewChief 08-23-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7846683)
Where has BB played to the lowest common denominator? I think I missed those scenes.

You act like this in an either/or proposition. I propose that you can simultaneously do both without pissing on the common "lowbrow" dude who just likes watching the show because he missed the meth scene or wishes he could be Walt.

Reaper16 08-23-2011 10:41 PM

It is either/or. Some viewers do take some aspects of the show at surface value, for "badassness" or whatever. Those people are misinterpreting the show, or perhaps more accurately they aren't considering everything that there is to consider.

BB doesn't insult those people, but it doesn't make concessions to the lowest common denominator either.

Zebedee DuBois 08-24-2011 09:55 AM

Items I haven't figured out yet:

a.) Gus box cutters Victor for allowing himself to be seen at a crime scene, and then invests time into wild unpredictable indiscreet Jesse? Surely it does have to be "all about Walt". Jesse's unpredictablity doesn't make sense for meticulous Gus as either a cleaner or a cook replacement for Walt.

2.) With cameras and minders on the lab, along with chemical supply receipts, surely Gus should have Walt's recipe down cold.

iii.) How the heck is Mike cleaning up after the semi trailers being gunned down. Surely he can't be hiding all that in the desert somewhere and the local law has no clue. No one ever drove past those shot up trailers and reported them?

morphius 08-24-2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois (Post 7847297)
Items I haven't figured out yet:

a.) Gus box cutters Victor for allowing himself to be seen at a crime scene, and then invests time into wild unpredictable indiscreet Jesse? Surely it does have to be "all about Walt". Jesse's unpredictablity doesn't make sense for meticulous Gus as either a cleaner or a cook replacement for Walt.

2.) With cameras and minders on the lab, along with chemical supply receipts, surely Gus should have Walt's recipe down cold.

iii.) How the heck is Mike cleaning up after the semi trailers being gunned down. Surely he can't be hiding all that in the desert somewhere and the local law has no clue. No one ever drove past those shot up trailers and reported them?

a) I think he knows that he can't get Walt to work without Jesse, but building a divide between them will help him in the future.

2) It is more than just the recipe, it is knowing what to do if something in the chain isn't right, or being able to catch if one of the ingredients is off.

iii) Good question, I've been wondering how Gus gets that done. How do you hide something like that quickly enough to not be noticed.

blaise 08-24-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 7846687)
walt pisses in a sink.

So does the guy in Bang the Drum Slowly.

Brock 08-24-2011 12:19 PM

They haven't really explained too well how an unemployed school teacher and his unemployed wife can buy a car wash.

I don't care about the plot holes, as long as each episode continues to seem to me like it's 15 minutes long.

Los Pollos Hermanos 08-24-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7847771)
They haven't really explained too well how an unemployed school teacher and his unemployed wife can buy a car wash.

I don't care about the plot holes, as long as each episode continues to seem to me like it's 15 minutes long.

I thought that was what the whole poker story was about.

Brock 08-24-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsfansofDallas (Post 7847798)
I thought that was what the whole poker story was about.

That's a good explanation for family members. But an 800,000 dollar transaction is pretty tough to explain to other parties (such as IRS), unless their attorney has this happening through intermediaries or something. Maybe there is an explanation I've missed.

NewChief 08-24-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7847771)

Same deal with when Saul tried to sell Jesse the nail care place. I understand that they can launder money through it (or the carwash), but how do you explain the initial purchase? Especially when you're talking about an unemployed dude like Jesse.