ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mike Catapano (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272561)

RunKC 04-27-2013 03:34 PM

Mike Catapano

1st in sacks in his conference with 12.

Good value pick to back up Tamba and Houston. We needed to solidify that position.

chiefscafan 04-27-2013 03:51 PM

Catapano my guy :)

Picked him in our alt mOck draft love this guy watch tape on him high motor

Only reason he is available is he went to Princeton

Steal at this point

BlackHelicopters 04-27-2013 03:52 PM

Good pick

O.city 04-27-2013 03:52 PM

He's a de not an olb

Micjones 04-27-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9637901)
1st in sacks in his conference with 12.

Good value pick to back up Tamba and Houston. We needed to solidify that position.

He won't back up either of them, he's a DE.
Should get some work in the sub-packages.
Strong as an ox. Has good speed too.

Love this pick.

NIUhuskies 04-27-2013 03:56 PM

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oSAL4b8lwXM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2GcdKCG5F8Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

looks like a beast!

Nightfyre 04-27-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9637923)
He's a de not an olb

He profiles as an OLB in a traditional 3-4. I think he could play DE in a 4-3 under.

Micjones 04-27-2013 03:58 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fyocdm4R354" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Micjones 04-27-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9637961)
He profiles as an OLB in a traditional 3-4. I think he could play DE in a 4-3 under.

I doubt that. The guy's strong as an ox and weighs about 275 pounds.
He's a passrushing DE.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-27-2013 04:00 PM

Reminds me of Brian Johnston in that he's a small school sleeper with great production and impressive measureables.

Is he Johnston or Jared Allen?

Most likely a sub-package rusher a la Gilberry.

Mr. Kotter 04-27-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9637973)
Reminds me of Brian Johnston in that he's a small school sleeper with great production and impressive measureables.

Is he Johnston or Jared Allen?

Here's to hoping he's half-of-Jared.... :toast:

Fritz88 04-27-2013 04:02 PM

Gonzo i know which tag your wrote here.

LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

MTG#10 04-27-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9637961)

Most definitely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 9637971)
I doubt that. The guy's strong as an ox and weighs about 275 pounds.
He's a passrushing DE.

He's about the same size as Hali. He could absolutely be used as a pass rushing outside LB.

clyde05 04-27-2013 04:05 PM

Our next Jared Allen

Red Dawg 04-27-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9637922)
Good pick

It can't be a good pick. Chiefsplanet morons have dubbed Dorsey and Andy as idiots, Alex as worthless and no better than Cassel. We passed on all the QB's so we don't want to win even though they all sucked and were not worth spit to any team until the fourth round.

All our picks were not bad or at least not as bad as the noobs on here think.

Nightfyre 04-27-2013 04:05 PM

McShay just indicated he projected as an OLB in a 3-4. He's got the speed.

philfree 04-27-2013 04:06 PM

Draft Analysis

Catapano is one of our bigger sleepers on Day 3. He has a quick get-off as a pass rusher, with active hands and the ability to bend the edge. Catapano also plays with leverage and can set the edge and maintain outside contain as a run defender. We love his relentless motor and potential to develop into an impact edge rusher.
Draft Results

Overall Football Traits

Production 2 2009: (10/1)  22-1- .5 2010: (9/9)  37-2.5-22011: (10/10)  49-10-5 2012: (10/10) 41-15-12.5 Career: 13 PBUs, 4 FFs, and 2 FR.
Height-Weight-Speed 1 Prototypical height and length (33.6 arms). Thick and muscular frame with above-average bulk. Big hands (10.3). Above-average top-end speed, vertical jump (37.5), broad jump (9'8) and bench press (33).
Durability 3 Dealt with a back-injury that hampered him for most of the 2010 season while being forced to miss the Cornell game.
Intangibles 1 Two-time captain as a junior and senior. Strong work ethic and weight room habits. Loves the game. Plays with an infectious passion on the field. Head coach Bob Surace has publicly praised Catapano's leadership skills "His work ethic was a model for our locker room, and his impact on our team will be felt for years to come."

1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

Defensive End Specific Traits

Pass Rush Skills 2 Possesses the tools and upside to develop into a disruptive edge rusher. Excellent snap anticipation and constantly the first off the ball on tape. Shows a quick first step and comes off with proper pad level and leverage. Not an elite speed rusher but has enough quickness to gain the edge. Shows ability to dips shoulder and bend to flatten when gaining outside leverage point on OTs Quick and active hands. One of the better hand fighters in this class and rarely allow blockers into frame. Flashes a wide variety of pass rushing moves with multiple inside change up moves that include an effective spin and stab with inside arm. Efficient counter puncher. Understands leverage and flashes ability to feel blockers momentum and manipulate it to get them off balance. Very disruptive on the move and runs a tight loop when executing inside twist. Shows ability to plant and accelerate when closing on quarterback. Only glaring concerns in that he will give up edge discipline on occasion and can learn to protect his legs better.
Versus the run 3 Generally stay low coming off the ball and plays with leverage. Displays a strong anchor but not in the elite level. Can occasionally get engulfed by more massive blockers. Had issues sustaining against Terron Armstead in one-on-one run blocking drills at the East-West All-Star practices. Also pad level can rise on occasion and he can lose his power source. However, has active hands and flashes an explosive initial punch to shock blockers. When playing with leverage he can set the edge. Very effective in hand-to-hand combat and does a nice job of shedding and redirecting to get involved in play. Adequate range to occasionally close for the backside. Shows solid instincts and discipline in this area. Finds the ball and he is relentless at working to keep outside arm free when having edge responsibility
Versatility 4 Best fits are as a LDE in a base 4-3 scheme or as a 3-4 OLB in a heavy edge rushing role. Will be able to spot drop but lacks the fluidity in space to be asked to consistently drop into coverage if transitioning to a 3-4 OLB. Has experience reducing inside. Can be functional as 5-technique in a base 3-4 front but it's not an ideal fit.
Instincts/Motor 1 Relentless and highly disruptive. Engine is constantly in 5th gear but does not play out of control. Tough and does not back down. Passion for the game is evident on the field. Loves to chase and is constantly seen hustling in pursuit. The type of player who won't garner much attention in the media but will bring an edge to a defense with his intensity and high energy.

Titty Meat 04-27-2013 04:08 PM

Garbage

chiefscafan 04-27-2013 04:08 PM

As I said packers drafts rarely had big names but they were all successful

Micjones 04-27-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 9637990)
Most definitely.

He's about the same size as Hali. He could absolutely be used as a pass rushing outside LB.

They're almost exactly the same size.
Catapano is stronger and faster though.
His frame could stand more bulk. I think they'll put him at DE.
Just my early thought though.

Titty Meat 04-27-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefscafan (Post 9638018)
As I said packers drafts rarely had big names but they were all successful

Aaron Rodgers isn't the QB and Ted Thompson isn't making the picks in KC.

chiefscafan 04-27-2013 04:10 PM

Garbage??? Have you done any homework on these guys??

Nightfyre 04-27-2013 04:11 PM

I really like this guy. That said, I would like to have seen us get Dysert. I guess it's still possible. Seems like there will be some UDFA QBs.

keg in kc 04-27-2013 04:12 PM

Interesting pick.

I assume that we just aren't interested in QBs at all, rather than hoping someone slides to UDFA.

Micjones 04-27-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9638030)
I really like this guy. That said, I would like to have seen us get Dysert. I guess it's still possible. Seems like there will be some UDFA QBs.

Yep.

chiefscafan 04-27-2013 04:12 PM

Bo. Capatano is not garbage watch

mcaj22 04-27-2013 04:27 PM

all these picks were to bring competition/push out the unproductive Scooter draft picks

this guys measurable and position in this scheme is the exact same as Allen Bailey I am pretty sure.

He's essentially a guy that can slide in on nickels to rush the passer

KC kid 04-27-2013 05:41 PM

Reid said he would play OLB

Canofbier 04-27-2013 06:03 PM

Hadn't ever heard of the dude until we took him, but it looks like a perfect kind of 7th round pick: a guy with a ton of potential, but didn't necessarily have the chance to develop it or prove it in college.

gblowfish 04-27-2013 06:15 PM

Princeton?
How'd he do on his IQ test?

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-27-2013 06:16 PM

WOW ! This guy gives you the gut feeling we nailed a sleeper.

Hammock Parties 04-27-2013 06:16 PM

Worst ****ing pick I've ever seen.

jd1020 04-27-2013 06:18 PM

Passed on some good talent that dropped because of character concerns for a FB and a rotational DE/depth OLB.

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-27-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9638574)

Ummm, better than picks 4,5,6

mcaj22 04-27-2013 06:22 PM

he just seems way too big/slow to play a standing OLBer in the 34.

NIUhuskies 04-28-2013 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9638594)
he just seems way too big/slow to play a standing OLBer in the 34.

he ran a 4.6.... jarvis jones ran a 4.9 and im sure you would habe loved to have him...

ChiefMojo 04-28-2013 08:35 AM

Hell of a pick imo! If he weren't for him being in the Ivy League, he would've gone a lot earlier.

Messier 04-28-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9638574)

This is the best use of hyperbole that has ever been said, ever in the universe.

Tribal Warfare 05-03-2013 08:17 AM

PRINCETON: Catapano selected by Chiefs

Mike Catapano came out of Bayville, N.Y., five years ago ready to do whatever he could to excel at Princeton University.

He’s ready to do the same now for the Kansas City Chiefs after they made him the first pick in the seventh round of the NFL draft Saturday.

”I ended up at a great place, and I’m fulfilling a long-time dream of mine,” Catapano said. “And it’s just beginning.

”I’m really excited about that,” he added. “It’s a clean slate. It’s a fresh opportunity. That’s great for me. Coming into the league and having an organization in a time of change and renewal, everything is fresh and new. I’ll do my best to make the most of my opportunity.”

The Ivy League’s top defensive player in the 2012 season, Catapano was the 207th overall pick in the draft. He was at home in Bayville with a small group of friends and his family when he got the news.
”I almost fell off my chair,” Catapano said. “It was just a rush of emotions. Then we see my name came up on the screen.”

His selection ended a waiting game. The first round of the draft was last Thursday, with the second and third rounds following on Friday and the final rounds of the draft Saturday.

”It’s obviously very stressful,” Catapano said. “One thing, in the whole process you feel like you have some control of it. Your pro day, the East-West Shrine Game. Then the draft, it’s out of your hands. Your fate is being toyed with and you have no say in what happens. You just let the cards fall where they may.”

Catapano is the first Princeton University players selected in the draft since Dennis Norman was picked by the Seattle Seahawks in 2001. Norman made the roster and played eight seasons in the NFL.

”The key,” said PU head coach Bob Surace, a former Cincinnati Bengals assistant, “is getting to spot where you can make a team. It’s not like college. We have 100 people. We can’t cut or trade them. It’s a business. If he doesn’t do as well as they’d like, they’ll cut him.”

Surace does not expect that fate to befall the 6-foot-3, 275-pound Catapano. He sees a lot going Catapano, who led the Ivy League with 12 sacks among his 41 total tackles.

”As a college coach, you see a guy every single day how he works, his effort and leadership and focus in meetings,” Surace said. “He knocks all those intangible things out of the park. The thing that surprises people, both at the East-West game or the pro combine, is how athletic he is. They’ll be really surprised at not only is he a tough guy, but he’s real athletic.”

Catapano rode that athleticism at Princeton into a draft-day selection. He came out of Bayville, where he had been a running back. Some Ivy teams wanted him in the defensive backfield, other teams wanted him at the offensive side, yet Princeton asked him to try the defensive line.

”I credit them,” Catapano said. “It’s a tough task projecting a 215-pound running back, who never played a down of defense in life, to play defensive end. I played it from the beginning. I’m very thankful for the opportunities I was given to proceed at the defensive end position.”

Catapano may be making another position move in the NFL. Preliminary reports by the Chiefs and their first-year head coach Andy Reid, formerly Philadelphia’s head coach, call for Catapano to move to an outside linebacker position under new defensive coordinator Bob Sutton.

”This would be a much smaller one,” Surace said of the move. “They play the 3-4, so that’s going to be a pass rusher. (Sutton) came from Green Bay where he had Clay Matthews and Coach Reid, he had guys like the Trent Coles of the world. My guess is he’ll be in a position where he’s moving forward more than backward. We had to drop him at times, but it’s a little different covering NFL guys, but he’s fluid.

”The biggest transition he’ll have is special teams. He’ll have to live in the office. The guys that make teams, most of them will play special teams, even high picks.”

Catapano is determined to do everything he can to make the 53-man roster for the Chiefs. He will attend a rookie camp that begins May 10 to get his first look at his fellow rookies and how he fits in the Kansas City schemes.

”There were a lot of teams that were thinking of putting me at outside linebacker,” Catapano said. “I think I have the athleticism to excel at that. The things I do well don’t change from defensive end to outside linebackers.

”I have good hands. I played running back in high school so I’m familiar with catching the ball, covering and making the grabs and going after the quarterback is stuff I’m comfortable doing.”
As an outside linebacker, Catapano will still have the opportunity to do what did best for the Tigers — rush the passer. His 12 sacks were the most by a PU player in 15 seasons, and Catapano will be working to ensure he can disrupt offenses the same way at the next level out of a new spot on the field.

”I think I’m more equipped because I’m probably one of the hardest workers in the draft,” he said. “I’m a guy that’s not going to stop. If I’m going to have to learn a new position, that’s what I’m going to do. There is no stop or slow down that really could affect me. Some people call me stubborn. I’m ambitious.”

Catapano will be joined by 2012 PU co-captain Andrew Starks in trying out for the NFL this year. Starks is a non-drafted invitee to the Chicago Bears rookie camp May 10. The Tigers are hopeful that both can stick, and Surace has offered his encouragement as they try to represent Princeton at the next level.

”He’s always been so supportive,” Catapano said. “The whole Princeton family has. The Princeton family has rallied around me and showed me support. I was proud to show Princeton on TV that day.”

The NFL will be a big jump from the Ivy League action, though the Ancient Eight had three players selected in the NFL draft this year. Now they have to make their respective rosters.

”At the end of the day,” Surace said, “you want tough guys, smart guys, you want guys that aren’t going to get in trouble and guys that are going to help build championship culture. I think Mike has those in abundance.”

Catapano is anxious to start the transition and prove that he belongs in the NFL.

”I’m going to have to get used to the speed of it all,” he said. “It’s a bunch of the best athletes in the country. It’s not like you play a team and they have a good guy in one spot. Everyone is athletic. I saw that for the first time at the Shrine game. The whole game is faster. You have to react faster.

”It’s not something you can prepare for. It’s trial by fire. You get in there and learn quick. That’s the only way you can do it.”

Catapano feels he has prepared himself as much as possible for the NFL. He will have his opportunity to prove why he was a draft selection when mini-camps open.

”One on one, I’m confident in myself,” he said. “I’m ready to put myself up against the best. Coming from the Ivy League, and coming from the East-West game, I had a lot of success. I think that’s a good thing. I’m not used to getting blocked. That feeling that I’m going to win the one-on-one battle, that’s going to help me.”

Catapano goes into the next step with confidence. There is an NFL team that thought enough of him to pick him. He was able to enjoy the moment when his hard work through his Princeton career paid off with his selection. There is still a lot of hard work ahead, but it is nothing new to Mike Catapano, who is living out his dream.

”I love the game,” he said. “I love being around it. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”

buddha 05-03-2013 08:46 AM

Catapano is a freak. The Chiefs did a great job nabbing him where they did...he will figure into playing time this season.

The fact that Wonton hates the pick should tell you how good he's going to be.

Halfcan 05-03-2013 09:01 AM

looks like a stud

Strongside 05-03-2013 09:08 AM

Reminds me a ton of Jared Allen, as many have already said. He has a great motor and even better instincts. His first step is great and his hands are violent and quick. Something that I noticed on film was that he did a great job reading the tackle-pull on counter plays. DLinemen are taught to 'get into your man's hip pocket' if/when he pulls. This isn't always easy because many guys get greedy and head straight for the open backfield, which allows the guard/center to block down and trap you...which is what the counter is designed to do. When Mike's guy pulls, he has the smarts to follow him, shed the downblock, and let the tackle lead him right to the ball carrier while still keeping cutback contain.

He looks promising.

The Bad Guy 05-03-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9638015)
Garbage

I'm sure you know a lot about this guy to form this type of opinion or are we just blanketing every signing/draft pick this way?

Mr. Laz 05-03-2013 10:15 AM

backup for Hali

Titty Meat 05-03-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9654842)
I'm sure you know a lot about this guy to form this type of opinion or are we just blanketing every signing/draft pick this way?

Every pick. Dorsey sucks.

RealSNR 05-03-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

”This would be a much smaller one,” Surace said of the move. “They play the 3-4, so that’s going to be a pass rusher. (Sutton) came from Green Bay where he had Clay Matthews and Coach Reid, he had guys like the Trent Coles of the world. My guess is he’ll be in a position where he’s moving forward more than backward. We had to drop him at times, but it’s a little different covering NFL guys, but he’s fluid.
Sounds like you don't exactly have to be a Princeton grad to coach there.

Nightfyre 05-03-2013 04:37 PM

Mike Catapano/Ziggy Ansah
Height: 6'4"/6'5"
Weight: 271/271
Arms: 33.75/35.13

40 time:4.75/4.63
Vert: 37.5/34.5
Broad: 9-8/9-10
20 yard shuttle: 4.4/4.26
3 cone: 7.03/7.11
Bench: 33/21

And Catapano was fantastically productive in College. This kid was probably my top sleeper for this draft. I figured he would go in the fifth or sixth though.

Nightfyre 05-04-2013 08:13 AM

Hey Chiefs fan, if you want to look at a beacon of hope from the draft, watch this kid. I can't believe this thread fell off the front page.

Dave Lane 02-10-2016 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9656537)
Hey Chiefs fan, if you want to look at a beacon of hope from the draft, watch this kid. I can't believe this thread fell off the front page.

I can.

Easy 6 02-10-2016 04:32 PM

Did he finish the season with the NYJ?

Mr. Laz 02-10-2016 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12075625)
Did he finish the season with the NYJ?

yes

played in 3 games: 3 tackles, 1 sack

injured and placed on IR in week 13

Easy 6 02-10-2016 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12075635)
yes

Pretty meh showing, but not awful considering he joined them late and was 3rd string

He can play some, just maybe not as good as some of us hoped

srvy 02-10-2016 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12075635)
yes

IR'ed thats surprising from that guyROFL

mcaj22 02-10-2016 06:00 PM

I'm looking forward to the Chiefs 2016 offseason fluff piece players that will win the offseason this year ala Eric Kush and Mike Catapano of 2015. I wonder if there are any early candidates.

Discuss Thrower 02-10-2016 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 12075762)
I'm looking forward to the Chiefs 2016 offseason fluff piece players that will win the offseason this year ala Eric Kush and Mike Catapano of 2015. I wonder if there are any early candidates.

De'Anthony Thomas.

Tribal Warfare 02-10-2016 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 12075793)
De'Anthony Thomas.

Justin March or Phillip Gaines

Nightfyre 02-10-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 12075617)
I can.

Dammit Dave. I was excited about cat as a seventh rounder before the Chiefs even drafted him. I was just excited they picked up someone who I happened to like.

ChiefAshhole1056 02-10-2016 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 12075762)

Chris Conley and Justin March seem like safe bets

Discuss Thrower 02-10-2016 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 12075838)
Justin March or Phillip Gaines

At least Gaines has done something in an actual live game that hints at being a contributor.

The hype around Catapano was just comical. Shades of Rich Scanlon and Boomer Grigsby.

Dave Lane 02-10-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 12075976)
At least Gaines has done something in an actual live game that hints at being a contributor.

The hype around Catapano was just comical. Shades of Rich Scanlon and Boomer Grigsby.

No one, I mean no one will ever duplicate the love fest of the Roys and Rich Scanlon. Never.

Rausch 02-10-2016 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 12076036)
No one, I mean no one will ever duplicate the love fest of the Roys and Rich Scanlon. Never.

I miss teh 0DD T0DD.

At least he was good for some preseason arguments and training camp bar fights...

stevieray 02-10-2016 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 12076036)

Sippio is prolly a close second

Pitt Gorilla 02-10-2016 10:45 PM

Brian shay says hey.

Dave Lane 02-10-2016 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 12076191)
Brian shay says hey.

Compared to the Roys and Scanlon? Dude... :)

Pitt Gorilla 02-10-2016 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 12076199)
Compared to the Roys and Scanlon? Dude... :)

I think Scanlon shares a flat with Mike peterson and Hugh Douglass.

Cheater5 02-11-2016 05:26 AM

Kendrell Bell was before my time on CP; I wonder if he was as rigorously fellated as other broken wheels?

Red Beans 02-11-2016 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheater5 (Post 12076353)
Kendrell Bell was before my time on CP; I wonder if he was as rigorously fellated as other broken wheels?

He was.

tooge 02-11-2016 08:15 AM

Jesse Haynes /

Tim Grunhard even said he was the best RB he'd ever played with (in training camp).

Eleazar 02-11-2016 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 12075976)

Exactly