ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Sherlock (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231123)

Baby Lee 01-04-2016 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 11999588)
Definitely not.

Good stuff. The kind of stuff I was looking for posting that.

A much more salient criticism I saw was Moffat's weird embracing of feminist issues. They whole suffragist thing was neat to reference. But nothing came of it as it was a mental exercise, and the story was told entirely through Sherlock's speechifying, with mute columns of women watching reverently, no less.

Kind of a paternalistic co-opting.

Third Eye 01-04-2016 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11999809)

A much more salient criticism I saw was Moffat's weird embracing of feminist issues. They whole suffragist thing was neat to reference. But nothing came of it as it was a mental exercise, and the story was told entirely through Sherlock's speechifying, with mute columns of women watching reverently, no less.

And anything less would be completely untrue to the Sherlock that Moffat has created and could be considered pandering.

As far as the concerns go about the declining quality of the Moff's shows, I just don't see it. Has Who changed? Sure, but I don't personally see the shift away from the swashbuckling Who of the 70s and 80s to the more reflective or philosophical current iteration as a bad thing. Similarly, while this may not have been the best Sherlock yet, I'd rank it 4th or 5th of the 10 episodes that they've created. Relative to the quality of the majority of TV programming, that's pretty damn good.

Anyong Bluth 01-05-2016 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11999809)

There's more no doubt, and I'm sure I'm biased in my defense of Moffitt.

He and Milch are what they are, and any man responsible for Deadwood (Milch) gets my undying benefit of the doubt, and the bar set for them is so much higher than your average show, even a decent offering by them often is still a rather compelling watch. Moffitt gets that same treatment because he's got a track record that's proven!

If people think Sherlock or Who have been too heady, try watching John from Cincinnati. A show so packed with obscure historical and literary reference and symbolism it's mind boggling. Not to mention the dialogue is dense and ratchets up the weight found in Deadwood. It's a bit of a blend of Shakespeare meets Melville.

At first blush, a fair number of people would be put off by it, and at the very least wondering what the **** is going on. You have to dig into it, but there's discussions you can find to help fill in the places you need to appreciate all that's going on as well as the references and topics discussed.

No doubt, that's not everyone's cup of tea, but if you do your homework and accept the need that it's a show that almost requires footnotes, it's extremely rewarding, and amazing just how rich the material is. The Analysis and payoff for that show is the most rewarding of any show or film I've seen with the exception of a number of Kubrick's films.

No different than a cold read of Shakespeare, there's a lot to process and contextualize before fully appreciated.

It's a shame it only lasted one season, but I understand that the show ended up being a tough sell to gain a broad audience because it required the viewer to do some heavy lifting to get "it". Some people will absolutely hate that- especially if you consider a show to be simply escapism for amusement.

I loved the challenge Moffitt offered up by rewarding those who took the time to unlock the full meaning of the material he was presenting!

It was the show equivalent of those computer generated pictures.
At first glance, all you see is a blob of various colors, and you're say what the **** am I looking at?
However, with spending some time and adjusting how you look at the piece, all of a sudden a picture of something all of a sudden comes into focus and there's a sailboat, for example, in the same picture of colored blobs. The picture didn't change - you just needed to look deeper and adjust your vantage point to appreciate what you were looking at at first glance.

Baby Lee 01-05-2016 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 12000854)
There's more no doubt, and I'm sure I'm biased in my defense of Moffitt.

He and Milch are what they are, and any man responsible for Deadwood (Milch) gets my undying benefit of the doubt, and the bar set for them is so much higher than your average show, even a decent offering by them often is still a rather compelling watch.

Oh I agree. Particularly the pairing of Moffat and Milch, who if you know me I place in the pantheon of greatest television writers in history, perhaps the greatest.

The appropriation of feminism was more of a subject matter/political critique than a craft/ability one.

Bit of trivia, did you know Milch was a frat brothers with Dubya?

Anyong Bluth 01-05-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12000921)
Oh I agree. Particularly the pairing of Moffat and Milch, who if you know me I place in the pantheon of greatest television writers in history, perhaps the greatest.

The appropriation of feminism was more of a subject matter/political critique than a craft/ability one.

Bit of trivia, did you know Milch was a frat brothers with Dubya?

Yep, Milch has talked about one night W was wasted and in a moment of candor told Milch he was "a good Jew. A white Jew."

mnchiefsguy 01-14-2016 09:53 PM

Finally got the chance to watch the special tonight.

Thought it was a bit confusing in parts, but was fantastic overall.

Definitely will be watching a second time to put all the pieces in place.

Can't wait for season 4!

keg in kc 07-24-2016 04:31 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qlcWFoNqZHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 10-27-2016 01:56 PM

<iframe width="487" height="299" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TifQ3yo8myw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee 11-30-2016 01:39 PM

Stingy mother ****ers - seems like a decade since the last series, pop onto my YT feed and see a Sherlock BBC promo - take a glance. . . . 15 seconds, with the final 5 seconds the BBC logo.

Buehler445 12-01-2016 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12587822)
Stingy mother ****ers - seems like a decade since the last series, pop onto my YT feed and see a Sherlock BBC promo - take a glance. . . . 15 seconds, with the final 5 seconds the BBC logo.

It doesn't help that the 2 leads are in EVERYTHING.

mnchiefsguy 12-31-2016 01:47 PM

Bump....Season 4 premieres tomorrow!

aturnis 01-01-2017 01:38 PM

About damned time. PBS 8pm

Baby Lee 01-01-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 12652191)
About damned time. PBS 8pm

Yeah, if you're looking for the show, searching for Sherlock or on BBCA is a waste.

Masterpiece 'The Six Thatchers' on PBS, 8p

Chiefnj2 01-03-2017 12:41 PM

Am I the only one disappointed with the latest episode?

lcarus 01-09-2017 11:17 AM

Well, the first 2 episodes of this season just weren't that great. They set a pretty high bar for themselves I guess.