ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV oscar nominations (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268706)

the Talking Can 01-10-2013 08:32 AM

oscar nominations

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertain...rd-nominations

Quote:

Complete list of 85th Annual Academy Award nominations announced Thursday:

1. Best Picture: "Amour," "Argo," "Beasts of the Southern Wild," "Django Unchained," "Les Miserables," "Life of Pi," "Lincoln," "Silver Linings Playbook," "Zero Dark Thirty."

2. Actor: Bradley Cooper, "Silver Linings Playbook"; Daniel Day-Lewis, "Lincoln"; Hugh Jackman, "Les Miserables"; Joaquin Phoenix, "The Master"; Denzel Washington, "Flight."

3. Actress: Jessica Chastain, "Zero Dark Thirty"; Jennifer Lawrence, "Silver Linings Playbook"; Emmanuelle Riva, "Amour"; Quvenzhane Wallis, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"; Naomi Watts, "The Impossible."

4. Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, "Argo"; Robert De Niro, "Silver Linings Playbook"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "The Master"; Tommy Lee Jones, "Lincoln"; Christoph Waltz, "Django Unchained."

5. Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, "The Master"; Sally Field, "Lincoln"; Anne Hathaway, "Les Miserables"; Helen Hunt, "The Sessions"; Jacki Weaver, "Silver Linings Playbook."

6. Directing: Michael Haneke, "Amour"; Benh Zeitlin, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"; Ang Lee, "Life of Pi"; Steven Spielberg, "Lincoln"; David O. Russell, "Silver Linings Playbook."

7. Foreign Language Film: "Amour," Austria; "Kon-Tiki," Norway; "No," Chile; "A Royal Affair," Denmark; "War Witch," Canada.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Chris Terrio, "Argo"; Lucy Alibar and Benh Zeitlin, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"; David Magee,
"Life of Pi"; Tony Kushner, "Lincoln"; David O. Russell, "Silver Linings Playbook."

9. Original Screenplay: Michael Haneke, "Amour"; Quentin Tarantino, "Django Unchained"; John Gatins, "Flight"; Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola, "Moonrise Kingdom"; Mark Boal, "Zero Dark Thirty."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Brave"; "Frankenweenie"; "ParaNorman"; "The Pirates! Band of Misfits"; "Wreck-It Ralph."

12. Cinematography: "Anna Karenina," "Django Unchained," "Life of Pi," "Lincoln," "Skyfall."

15. Original Score: "Anna Karenina," Dario Marianelli; "Argo," Alexandre Desplat; "Life of Pi," Mychael Danna; "Lincoln," John Williams; "Skyfall," Thomas Newman.

16. Original Song: "Before My Time" from "Chasing Ice," J. Ralph; "Everybody Needs a Best Friend" from "Ted," Walter Murphy and Seth MacFarlane; "Pi's Lullaby" from "Life of Pi," Mychael Danna and Bombay Jayashri; "Skyfall" from "Skyfall," Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth; "Suddenly" from "Les Miserables," Claude-Michel Schonberg, Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil.

18. Documentary Feature: "5 Broken Cameras," "The Gatekeepers," "How to Survive a Plague," "The Invisible War," "Searching for Sugar Man."

QuikSsurfer 01-10-2013 09:07 AM

Moonrise Kingdom needs to be up for Best Picture, IMO.

Deberg_1990 01-10-2013 09:09 AM

Rise of the Gaurdians got jobbed. Id put it ahead of Brave and Pirates Band of Misfits.

I see alot of childrens films having young kids. : )

Fire Me Boy! 01-10-2013 09:12 AM

Les Mis best picture? Bradley Cooper best actor.

Oscar has jumped the shark.

Deberg_1990 01-10-2013 09:14 AM

Django, Argo and Zero Dark Thirty were good enough for best picture but not director?

the Talking Can 01-10-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9302499)

Silver Linings Playbook running away with nominations is just bizarre...and sad

I'm actually surprised django was recognized

very happy to see beasts of the southern wild nominated

Deberg_1990 01-10-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9302514)
Silver Linings Playbook running away with nominations is just bizarre...and sad

I havent seen it, but i hear its very good. David O Russel is a critical darling.

the Talking Can 01-10-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9302518)
I havent seen it, but i hear its very good. David O Russel is a critical darling.

i'm sure it is fine...but it's a fairly generic story about attractive white people

risk factor 0

just not what i personally want to see rewarded with the most prestigious honor in the industry...

PunkinDrublic 01-10-2013 09:36 AM

The Master needs to be up for best picture. Very under appreciated movie.

Frazod 01-10-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9302499)

I agree with Hathaway getting nominated, and I'd be shocked if she didn't win (same with Day-Lewis). Jackman.... maybe. Personally I would have rather seen Redmayne get a supporting nod.

Personally I thought Crowe's uber-suck dragged the entire thing down too far to rate a nomination, and I'd be shocked if it won. Of course, Godfather Part III was nominated despite Soffia Coppola's odious performance. Didn't win, though.

kcpasco 01-10-2013 10:05 AM

Dicaprio still getting jobbed I see.

the Talking Can 01-10-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 9302651)
Dicaprio still getting jobbed I see.

he was better than waltz, imo...

Reaper16 01-10-2013 10:09 AM

Dude. Knock it off.

Red Brooklyn 01-10-2013 12:31 PM

The direction is one of the strongest aspects of Argo. The pace and tension are outstanding. But I wasn't impressed by Afleck's performance. It was fine; serviceable. But nothing extremely award worthy about it, in my opinion.

So glad Beasts of the Southern Wild is getting the love it deserves.

I totally see nominating Les Mis. It's a solid movie that breaks into transcendence at times. Hathaway, Seyfried, Barks, Redmayne, Jackman (though vocally strident) are all outstanding. Hooper's direction is beautiful as well.

Frazod 01-10-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9303101)
The direction is one of the strongest aspects of Argo. The pace and tension are outstanding. But I wasn't impressed by Afleck's performance. It was fine; serviceable. But nothing extremely award worthy about it, in my opinion.

So glad Beasts of the Southern Wild is getting the love it deserves.

I totally see nominating Les Mis. It's a solid movie that breaks into transcendence at times. Hathaway, Seyfried, Barks, Redmayne, Jackman (though vocally strident) are all outstanding. Hooper's direction is beautiful as well.

After a second viewing of Les Miserables, I'm a bit more critical of Jackman's signing ability. Bring Him Home, while not nearly as cringe-inducing as anything Crowe did, was still pretty painful. That was the only part he really butchered, but it was Valjean's main song.