ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Draft Philosophy? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=225063)

SDChiefs 03-17-2010 04:12 PM

Draft Philosophy?

I got to thinking that we could, potentially, drastically improve one side of the ball in this draft by focusing our first 2 rds on one side, as opposed to mix and match improving each side just slightly. Im not sure which boat I am in (I think either would be great) but with a deep defensive draft we could always focus on that in the later rounds and offense in the first two.

Examples:

Offense- Clausen/Tate/OL

Defense- Berry/Spikes/Cody

These are just examples but hopefully you get the idea. I don't recall ever discussing it and I did not use the search feature so if repost....Sorry. What say the masses?

The Franchise 03-17-2010 04:17 PM

BPA

boogblaster 03-17-2010 04:27 PM

D .. is needed badly .. OL has to improve .. but the whole it is D .. we played first half games then couldn't adjust at half to finish .. only bout 4 games were we blown out from the start ...

Kyle DeLexus 03-17-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 6611709)
BPA

This. And in this draft, that will probably be a lot of defense.

Pablo 03-17-2010 04:28 PM

PUT THIS IN DRAFTPLANET, ASSHOLE.

SDChiefs 03-17-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogblaster (Post 6611728)
D .. is needed badly .. OL has to improve .. but the whole it is D .. we played first half games then couldn't adjust at half to finish .. only bout 4 games were we blown out from the start ...

True, but being a defense heavy draft we could still focus the later rounds on that. Im not advocating ignoring one side completely, just maybe doing so in the first two rounds.

Donger 03-17-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PostRockPablo (Post 6611733)
PUT THIS IN DRAFTPLANET, ASSHOLE.

LMAO

Donger 03-17-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDChiefs (Post 6611739)
Go jump off a bridge douche. Do the world a favor. You don't like it. Don't click on the link. Gee, theres a concept. Its great that it has gotten that we can't even discuss football on a FOOTBALL board. STFU

I'm not really qualified to opine on the subject, but I think that the Chiefs will attempt to get the best players they can for their respective positions.

Pablo 03-17-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDChiefs (Post 6611739)
Go jump off a bridge douche. Do the world a favor. You don't like it. Don't click on the link. Gee, theres a concept. Its great that it has gotten that we can't even discuss football on a FOOTBALL board. STFU

Some folks don't keep up on their cross-thread humor.

*Tisk-tisk*

Pablo 03-17-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 6611743)
I'm not really qualified to opine on the subject, but I think that the Chiefs will attempt to get the best players they can for their respective positions.

Dude, we all know you haven't broke down any game tape. Save us the ill-informed opinion, please.

K.Thnx.Bye.

milkman 03-17-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 6611709)
BPA

This.

You don't focus on a side of the ball, or a specific position, you take the best player available, and where there's players that are close in terms of talent, you take the best player that fills the bigger hole.

philfree 03-17-2010 05:03 PM

This draft has alot of good D players who will be available in the first two rounds. If we are going to build one side then the other I go D first. 3 out of the 1st four picks on D.

PhilFree:arrow:

philfree 03-17-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 6611796)
This.

You don't focus on a side of the ball, or a specific position, you take the best player available, and where there's players that are close in terms of talent, you take the best player that fills the bigger hole.

As much as I agree about BPA I think it's almost a myth. All teams draft for need.

PhilFree:arrow:

Ralphy Boy 03-17-2010 05:11 PM

Teams almost never intentionally focus on a given side of the ball, at least they wouldn't admit to it even if their picks went that way, but it happens.

That said, given what we have done so far this offseason and the way that I think the draft will play out, I wouldn't be shocked and it wouldn't bother me one bit to go defense with our first 4 picks.
I'd do backflips if we got:
1 Eric Berry, FS
2a Jerry Hughes, OLB
2b Cam Thomas, NT
3 Kam Chancellor, SS

I realize some of those guys could very well be gone by those picks; just saying "if they are there".

The wide receivers that are likely to be available and projected to be worth the pick, in the first few rounds aren't that strong or have injury issues (Demaryius Thomas) so I don't see us really falling in love with any of them.

Then they could shift the focus to the offense or BAA.

4 Eric Olsen, C - I don't see Charlie passing on him and Weigmann isn't a long term solution.

Then in the 5th they could go any number of ways
Add a RT like: Ed Wang, Sam Young, Chris Scott
followed by TE Clay Harbor, I really want him to be a Chief and he could go in the 4th
Then a WR like: Freddie Barnes, Alexander or David Gettis

Ralphy Boy 03-17-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 6611796)
This.

You shouldn't focus on a side of the ball, or a specific position, you should take the best player available, and where there's players that are close in terms of talent, you should take the best player that fills the bigger hole.

fyp