ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Will Smith to star in Tarantinos next "Django Unchained" ? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244861)

durtyrute 08-07-2012 08:19 AM

Why is it that most of QT's movies throw around the "N" word like it's the thing to do?

Deberg_1990 08-07-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 8797410)
Why is it that most of QT's movies throw around the "N" word like it's the thing to do?

Hes been criticized a lot for that. Personally I hate the word, but I think he tries to be true to the world and characters he's in. For instance, if his movie is dealing with gangsters and thugs, he throws it in.

I don't remember it much if at all in Kill Bill, Death Proof and Inglorious Basterds?
Posted via Mobile Device

InChiefsHeaven 08-07-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8797961)
Hes been criticized a lot for that. Personally I hate the word, but I think he tries to be true to the world and characters he's in. For instance, if his movie is dealing with gangsters and thugs, he throws it in.

I don't remember it much if at all in Kill Bill, Death Proof and Inglorious Basterds?
Posted via Mobile Device

Indeed. Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs was chock full of n-bombs. Made me a little uncomfortable, they were so blatant and frequent.

durtyrute 08-07-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8797961)

Posted via Mobile Device

Yea, "most" was too strong of a word. I just watched Reservoir Dogs again last night and it had me thinking about his use of the word.

durtyrute 08-07-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 8797985)
Indeed. Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs was chock full of n-bombs. Made me a little uncomfortable, they were so blatant and frequent.

and unneccessary

InChiefsHeaven 08-07-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 8797999)
and unneccessary

Exactly. In RD, the gangsters just used the word over and over, I guess to illustrate their blatant and over the top racism. In PF, everyone white and black used the word. The scene with Terantino where he talks about Dead N***** Storage seemed unbelievable to me.

...his wife in the scene was black too. Just Tarantino being daring and cutting edge...:rolleyes:

durtyrute 08-07-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 8798121)
Exactly. In RD, the gangsters just used the word over and over, I guess to illustrate their blatant and over the top racism. In PF, everyone white and black used the word. The scene with Terantino where he talks about Dead N***** Storage seemed unbelievable to me.

...his wife in the scene was black too. Just Tarantino being daring and cutting edge...:rolleyes:

As a black man, I laughed my ass off at that line. It didn't even bother me until I rewatched RD and was like "wait, does he have a problem with black people or is he just trying to be edgy?'

InChiefsHeaven 08-07-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 8798494)
As a black man, I laughed my ass off at that line. It didn't even bother me until I rewatched RD and was like "wait, does he have a problem with black people or is he just trying to be edgy?'

I'm betting edgy, and shocking etc. Look at me, I'm a white guy who's unafraid of saying the N-word, and I have plenty of black friends!

It's fine in context, just like all harsh language, but it did seem to go too far in some of his movies.

durtyrute 08-07-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 8798575)
I'm betting edgy, and shocking etc. Look at me, I'm a white guy who's unafraid of saying the N-word, and I have plenty of black friends!

It's fine in context, just like all harsh language, but it did seem to go too far in some of his movies.

indeed

Deberg_1990 08-07-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 8798575)

Perhaps theres some of that......

But heres another theory. I think hes a guy who geniunely loves Black culture and especially Blaxplotation era and B grade drive in flicks that inspired alot of his films.

In a weird way its sort of paying respect to those films.

Pure speculation on my part.......

and considering its subject matter, i would assume Django will contain several uses of the N word.

KcMizzou 08-07-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8799192)
Perhaps theres some of that......

But heres another theory. I think hes a guy who geniunely loves Black culture and especially Blaxplotation era and B grade drive in flicks that inspired alot of his films.

In a weird way its sort of paying respect to those films.

Pure speculation on my part.......

and considering its subject matter, i would assume Django will contain several uses of the N word.

Absolutely. Same with the old kung fu movies. He writes movies that way, because those are his biggest influences. They're what grabbed his attention and imagination as a kid. I think the idea that he has a problem with black people is kinda silly.

About that foot fetish, though...

InChiefsHeaven 08-08-2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8799227)
Absolutely. Same with the old kung fu movies. He writes movies that way, because those are his biggest influences. They're what grabbed his attention and imagination as a kid. I think the idea that he has a problem with black people is kinda silly.

About that foot fetish, though...

I don't think he has a problem with black people at all. I just think he uses the word way too much. It's like he's allowed to say it, so he says it as much as he can.

He IS the foot ****in' mastah though...

Dave Lane 08-08-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

I think he's trying to be authentic. There's alot of use of the N words among "gangster" types. Black or White.

Anyong Bluth 08-08-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

I dont think he's got an issue with black people as its been widely known he had a number of long term relationships with black women.

Besides that, I just dont get the vibe that he's some racist, but simply writes what he feels would be honest dialogue for his characters. Most of which I would say are not the most enlightened persons- nor would it strike me as being true if they were to act all PC and censor themselves.

Hate or discomfort of the use of the word can be debated, but I dont think there should be any vitrol or accusations directed at him without some evidence of his actions or words in his life outside of fictional stories or movies. I just dont think there should be a double standard for an author or director to explore subject matter or taboo areas and words regardless of their race, gender, or whatever. How they conduct themselves in their daily life better dictates their motives and if they actually hold any real prejudices, IMO.

Deberg_1990 10-10-2012 08:12 PM

New trailer out. Damn this looks outstanding

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ztD3mRMdqSw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>