ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football The blatant hold on the safety play in SB... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269669)

PhillyChiefFan 02-04-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9377300)
Didn't matter AT ALL. A holding call would have resulted in a safety. Hell, John could have told his players to tackle all of the 49ers players and it wouldn't have changed anything. Really smart players probably held as much as they could that play.

Yea at that point, it was about taking as many seconds off the clock as possible. Penalties be damned.

Nzoner 02-04-2013 11:14 AM

That safety resulted in a lot of quarter pots and square number holders going from elation to :mad:

I was one of them. :(

Barret 02-04-2013 11:20 AM

I think Chris Carter said something on Mike and Mike about the last play.

Said something about how the Cornerback had inside coverage and Crabtree ran the wrong route. Instead of stutter stepping to the left like he was going to slant and then accelerating to the pylon where the ball should have been, Crabtree ran right into the defender and got caught up with him.

In those circumstances the refs will let the two fight for the ball and not throw a flag. But if he didn't initiate the contact and ran the right route, he might have got the holding call or the PI call or been able to get the football for a TD.

I think I paraphrased what Chris Carter said. I could be off.

houstonwhodat 02-04-2013 11:21 AM

They weren't going to let the outcome of the Super Bowl be decided by a penalty.

morphius 02-04-2013 11:30 AM

I saw a 49ers lineman get away with an equivalent hold earlier in the quarter. As much as I like the idea of the refs letting the players play, the rules are there for a reason and need to be called when they happen. It seems there is always 1 team that does better at skirting the rules in these situations, I can think of at least 3 no-call PI calls that were not called against the Ravens, and the 1 time the throw a flag is when the WR tried to push off.

ghak99 02-04-2013 11:34 AM

I liked the way it was called, or not called in this case.

It was very noticeable though and I can definitely see were people could be unhappy. It's the ****ing Superbowl, I want to see the players sort it out. Throw the flags to keep control of the game but, for the most part, let them play.

memyselfI 02-04-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9377418)
No doubt it was.

Sure he could have made a spectacular catch but he was not going to get both feet in bounds. The contact between both players was such that it could have been called either way which made it a non-call, IMO. Too many variables for it to have been considered a flagrant foul.

scho63 02-04-2013 11:52 AM

I felt the Ravens got a lot of latitude from the refs-far more than the 49er's and substantially more than they would have in the regular season.

BigCatDaddy 02-04-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9377533)
Sure he could have made a spectacular catch but he was not going to get both feet in bounds. The contact between both players was such that it could have been called either way which made it a non-call, IMO. Too many variables for it to have been considered a flagrant foul.

I agree that with the way the game went you don't throw a flag there, but that's a catchable ball. It would be a great catch but catchable none the less.

Carlota69 02-04-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 9377483)
That safety resulted in a lot of quarter pots and square number holders going from elation to :mad:

I lost a huge bet with that ****ing safety. I was soooooooo pissed!!!!! I wanted to throw stuff. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

BigCatDaddy 02-04-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9377554)
I lost a huge bet with that ****ing safety. I was soooooooo pissed!!!!! I wanted to throw stuff. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It cost me $100 which was no big deal, but it cost some other dude 1K in our pool. That might be a little tougher to swallow.

memyselfI 02-04-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9377551)
I agree that with the way the game went you don't throw a flag there, but that's a catchable ball. It would be a great catch but catchable none the less.

It was probably catchable but in bounds is another question. I'm sure there is someone skilled at video editing and math who is working on this question as we speak.

Not to mention, he makes a great catch and manages to keep his feet in bounds, does he keep possession or drop the ball when he lands arms first on the ball? The what ifs could go on forever. I prefer a non-call to a botched call ANY DAY!

BigCatDaddy 02-04-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9377567)
It was probably catchable but in bounds is another question. I'm sure there is someone skilled at video editing and math who is working on this question as we speak.

Not to mention, he makes a great catch and manages to keep his feet in bounds, does he keep possession or drop the ball when he lands arms first on the ball? The what ifs could go on forever. I prefer a non-call to a botched call ANY DAY!

I'll have to watch it again, but I thought it hit about 1 yard out of bounds which is catchable without a doubt.

houstonwhodat 02-04-2013 12:08 PM

No penalty

Dartgod 02-04-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 9377483)

Yep, it cost me a $50 pot. I won the 2nd quarter pot so it lessens the sting some. But as always, $100 > $50