ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Tomatoes in the ground (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=228276)

Saccopoo 05-16-2010 05:47 PM

Tomatoes in the ground

Finally finished up with planting all my tomatoes for the season. I've been working on this for two weeks and had to cover the ones I put into the ground probably prematurely two weeks ago several times. I'm hoping that any chance of hard freeze is gone at this point and I don't have to worry about it from here on out.

Varieties:
Hybrids:
Better Boy
Big Boy
Early Girl
Lemon Boy
DX-52-12
La Roma II
Viva Italia
Sweet Tangerine
Moscow

Heirlooms:
Mortgage Lifter
Black
Pink Brandywine
Red Brandywine
Brandywine
Big Rainbow
White Wonder
Amish
Black Krim
Green Zebra
Fourth of July
Rutgers
Mr. Stripey
Yellow Pear
Taxi
Chocolate Cherry
Rose Quartz

Peppers also went in with Bells in Purple, Yellow, Red, Orange and Green, along with Thai, Jalapeno, Cayenne, Habanero, Anaheim and Serrano.

farmerchief 05-16-2010 06:14 PM

Sounds like ingredients for a few jars of "Salsa" for the Chiefs tailgate parties! :-)

Bwana 05-16-2010 06:47 PM

I planted tomatoes and peppers last week as well.

cdcox 05-16-2010 06:54 PM

I love tomatoes, but can't grow them.

I'm curious about why so many varieties? I think I'd plant my favorite 2 or 3 varieties and leave it at that. Surely some of those you planted you consider inferior to others?

teedubya 05-16-2010 06:55 PM

Lookin' like a FOOOL, with your tomatoes on tha ground.

Wilson8 05-16-2010 07:09 PM

How big is your vegetable garden? Are you planting multiples of each variety or just one of each? Do you sell or can them? I find that the planting part is easy but the taking care of them as the summer gets hotter is what we struggle with.

BossChief 05-16-2010 07:18 PM

Damn man, you love you some tomatoes.

Delano 05-16-2010 07:28 PM

Sacco, do you save seeds from your heirlooms?
Posted via Mobile Device

FAX 05-16-2010 07:32 PM

We were given some heirloom plants that somebody had grown from seeds. We didn't have room for them in our beds, though, so I had to build a new, raised bed. They're doing very well, so far. But our topsy turvy plant is doing awesome. It looks a little crazy being upside down and all (it's trying to turn itself upright in order to get sunshine which it needs to grow), but it's getting big fast. Real fast.

FAX

Delano 05-16-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 6761998)
We were given some heirloom plants that somebody had grown from seeds. We didn't have room for them in our beds, though, so I had to build a new, raised bed. They're doing very well, so far. But our topsy turvy plant is doing awesome. It looks a little crazy being upside down and all (it's trying to turn itself upright in order to get sunshine which it needs to grow), but it's getting big fast. Real fast.

FAX

On the one hand, you're working with nature, and on the other, you're fighting her.
Posted via Mobile Device

FAX 05-16-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delano (Post 6762004)
On the one hand, you're working with nature, and on the other, you're fighting her.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've been fighting Mother Nature since the day I was born, Mr. Delano. It's friggin' war. She wants weeds to take over my lawn, make hair grow out my ears, and then slowly kill me. But I have news for her. I'm not going easy. Mother Nature can french kiss my butt. She is a relentless, mean-spirited bitch with nothing but death and chaos on her mind.

Therefore, if one little, crazy, upside-down tomato plant is going to upset her, so be it. Get used to it, Mother Nature. The stores are jam packed with topsy turvy planters.

FAX

stlchiefs 05-16-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 6761998)

FAX

I decided to try a topsy turvy this year after reading good reviews and my tomato plant in it is not doing well. Yellow leaves, buds are dying, no new buds. I can't figure it out. I thought it was that it was getting too much water so I cut back on that a bit and even moved it in to a spot with more sun, but it's still not looking too hot. What's the upside down secret?

FAX 05-16-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlchiefs (Post 6762040)
I decided to try a topsy turvy this year after reading good reviews and my tomato plant in it is not doing well. Yellow leaves, buds are dying, no new buds. I can't figure it out. I thought it was that it was getting too much water so I cut back on that a bit and even moved it in to a spot with more sun, but it's still not looking too hot. What's the upside down secret?

I don't really know, Mr. stlchiefs. This is our first experience with one. We received it as a Christmas gift from some people who come over often, so we kinda had to use it.

All we did was put some potting soil mixed with some good dirt in the container, added some Miracle Grow stuff, and watered the living crap out of it (we've gotten a lot of rain here, too). It gets medium direct sun ... about 6 hours a day. It's doing really well, though. It just looks weird trying to turn itself upright and all. I think (and this is just a guess) that, because it's more or less a hydroponic type of contraption, more water is better than less water and that, of course, means it can take quite a bit of sun.

FAX

Johnny Vegas 05-16-2010 08:14 PM

you didn't mention anything about fertilizer or what kind of soil you're using, stlchiefs.

stlchiefs 05-16-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmajama (Post 6762053)
you didn't mention anything about fertilizer or what kind of soil you're using, stlchiefs.

potting/gardening soil and top soil mix. No fertilizer.