ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs What college coaches or NFL coaches are available for Chiefs HC job? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264521)

JohnnyHammersticks 10-01-2012 06:34 PM

If Pioli picks the next head coach, then it's a 2-man race between Ferentz and Josh McDaniels. You absolutely know that McDaniels thinks he could fix Cassel and more importantly, Scott Pioli thinks McDaniels could fix Cassel. Hell, Pioli probably doesn't even think Cassel needs fixing.

We're ****ed. Just plain ****ed.

BryanBusby 10-01-2012 06:35 PM

I can't see Scott Pioli getting the opportunity to choose a 3rd Head Coach.

Quesadilla Joe 10-01-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8968179)
I hope you die

I think Del Rio fits KC well. He is a no nonsense coach who is also not an overbearing asshole like Haley was.

He can put together a great coaching staff as well. Just look at what his former DC (Mike Smith) and OC (Dirk Koetter) are doing down in Atlanta.

Give Del Rio a good GM and he could be a great HC in the NFL.

Bewbies 10-01-2012 06:44 PM

No retreads please. McCoy interests me, but he has touched the tree which is a big black eye for me.

KC_Lee 10-01-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 8968200)
If Pioli picks the next head coach, then it's a 2-man race between Ferentz and Josh McDaniels. You absolutely know that McDaniels thinks he could fix Cassel and more importantly, Scott Pioli thinks McDaniels could fix Cassel. Hell, Pioli probably doesn't even think Cassel needs fixing.

We're ****ed. Just plain ****ed.

As someone said when I posted that we would trade down and use the extra picks we recieve to trade for Ryan Mallet....FU for being right.

Quesadilla Joe 10-01-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8968247)
No retreads please. McCoy interests me, but he has touched the tree which is a big black eye for me.

Coughlin, Belicheat, and Shanahan were retreads before winning a SB. A good HC isn't a good HC until he has a QB.

RealSNR 10-01-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel>Manning (Post 8968233)
I think Del Rio fits KC well. He is a no nonsense coach who is also not an overbearing asshole like Haley was.

He can put together a great coaching staff as well. Just look at what his former DC (Mike Smith) and OC (Dirk Koetter) are doing down in Atlanta.

Give Del Rio a good GM and he could be a great HC in the NFL.

You were talking about those coaches who have franchise QBs generally do well in the league.

What do you call his time in Jacksonville? He oversaw the drafting of TWO first round QBs and hand-selected another (Garrard) during his LONG tenure as HC. This isn't like Belichick, where he was fired entirely too soon. The guy had chances and ****ed up.

He's what you get if Herm Edwards and Todd Haley had a baby. He's worthless.

Bewbies 10-01-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel>Manning (Post 8968281)
Coughlin, Belicheat, and Shanahan were retreads before winning a SB. A good HC isn't a good HC until he has a QB.

Your evidence is overwhelming. Retread please.

Quesadilla Joe 10-01-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8968290)
You were talking about those coaches who have franchise QBs generally do well in the league.

What do you call his time in Jacksonville? He oversaw the drafting of TWO first round QBs and hand-selected another (Garrard) during his LONG tenure as HC. This isn't like Belichick, where he was fired entirely too soon. The guy had chances and ****ed up.

He's what you get if Herm Edwards and Todd Haley had a baby. He's worthless.

I don't know how much say he had with the Gabbert pick...

He was kind of in the same position the Chiefs have been in the past 10 years... His teams were just good enough to miss out on the top QB prospects.

notorious 10-01-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8968042)
Jesus Christ?

No, he will be starting for the Jets in a few weeks.

notorious 10-01-2012 07:12 PM

McDaniels will be here next year.

Bank it.

dred 10-01-2012 07:27 PM

Peyton Manning?

Psyko Tek 10-01-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8968042)
Jesus Christ?

HE'S RETIRED
and sorta busy on sunday

Dayze 10-01-2012 07:51 PM

Never happen, but I like Kirby Smart.

Never ever happen

jspchief 10-01-2012 08:14 PM

The answers in this thread so far pretty much reinforce why I wasn't opposed to Crennel getting the job. There are not many "must have" HC prospects out there right now. There's so much turnover in the coaching ranks, the up and coming coordinators are getting snatched up prematurely and failing because they don't build enough of a coaching identity to build winning by anything other than a coach-by-numbers copycat approach.

Of course, I didn't expect Crennel's shortcomings to show up in such a fast and furious manner. Nor did I expect him to be so utterly useless to the defense.

Shogun 10-01-2012 08:22 PM

Steve Mariucci

Dennis Green

Brad Childress

????

thoughts

jspchief 10-01-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 8968586)
Steve Mariucci

Dennis Green

Brad Childress

????

thoughts

Trolling?

Shogun 10-01-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 8968600)
Trolling?

Herm edwards?

Richard_Cuckold 10-01-2012 08:30 PM

Dont go with a college coach imo

chiefzilla1501 10-01-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 8968549)
The answers in this thread so far pretty much reinforce why I wasn't opposed to Crennel getting the job. There are not many "must have" HC prospects out there right now. There's so much turnover in the coaching ranks, the up and coming coordinators are getting snatched up prematurely and failing because they don't build enough of a coaching identity to build winning by anything other than a coach-by-numbers copycat approach.

Of course, I didn't expect Crennel's shortcomings to show up in such a fast and furious manner. Nor did I expect him to be so utterly useless to the defense.

I expected it. Because again, people obsess over X's and O's. I told people months ago, Romeo is way too likable a guy to be a good head coach and he cares too much about the thinking part of the game to worry about conditioning.

The Chiefs have to stop hiring based on resume or fit with their offense or defense. They need to start interviewing good motivators, leaders, and teachers. You can find those if you look hard enough. And they're not always on elite defensive or offensive staffs. If you narrow the coaching pool down to your small tree, you're screwed.

Sorter 10-01-2012 08:59 PM

We already had a poll on this.

DaneMcCloud 10-01-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 8968586)
Steve Mariucci

Dennis Green

Brad Childress

????

thoughts

:Lin:

Sorter 10-01-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 8968709)
I expected it. Because again, people obsess over X's and O's. I told people months ago, Romeo is way too likable a guy to be a good head coach and he cares too much about the thinking part of the game to worry about conditioning.

The Chiefs have to stop hiring based on resume or fit with their offense or defense. They need to start interviewing good motivators, leaders, and teachers. You can find those if you look hard enough. And they're not always on elite defensive or offensive staffs. If you narrow the coaching pool down to your small tree, you're screwed.

Honestly, if you put a QB on this team that doesn't have a 3 & out or a turnover every other possession, I think you'd be surprised how much better this defense looks throughout the course of a game.

Does not excuse them for looking horrible on opening drives however. That is primarily due to teams throwing out of our base front (a 3-4, odd) and our failure to get a pass rush.

chiefzilla1501 10-01-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8968824)
Honestly, if you put a QB on this team that doesn't have a 3 & out or a turnover every other possession, I think you'd be surprised how much better this defense looks throughout the course of a game.

Does not excuse them for looking horrible on opening drives however. That is primarily due to teams throwing out of our base front (a 3-4, odd) and our failure to get a pass rush.

The talent is there.

Romeo does not know how to motivate and lead. He is good at the coordination stuff.

I really like the guy as a DC. He shouldn't have been hired as a head coach. He took the players out of the weight room and put them into the film room, and now they're soft. He skipped tackling drills and now our players forgot how to tackle. Our defense went from wanting to punch you in the throat to playing read-and-react. And we're making mental mistake after mental mistake. Our special teams, which are usually a testament to the discipline of your team, keeps making mental breakdowns.

While I agree with you, Romeo's still going to get the team to underperform.

Sorter 10-01-2012 09:25 PM

The defense still shows flashes when they are in the game. Look at SDs first 3 drives after Charles scored. They clearly don't believe in Cassel and they become frustrated by his lack of production. It's not hard to understand, especially if you played football at some point defensively with a shitty offense.

I do agree that Romeo is not good in terms of instilling discipline. However, you get this team a QB that they believe in, the D will play like a top 10 team. ****, look at how they played with Kyle ****ing Orton.

Overall though Chiefzilla, good post.

-King- 10-01-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf (Post 8968032)
Is there a third Harbaugh brother?

There actually is. LMAO

Sorter 10-01-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8968971)
There actually is. LMAO

Uhhhh, what is he doing?

chiefzilla1501 10-01-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8968966)
The defense still shows flashes when they are in the game. Look at SDs first 3 drives after Charles scored. They clearly don't believe in Cassel and they become frustrated by his lack of production. It's not hard to understand, especially if you played football at some point defensively with a shitty offense.

I do agree that Romeo is not good in terms of instilling discipline. However, you get this team a QB that they believe in, the D will play like a top 10 team. ****, look at how they played with Kyle ****ing Orton.

Overall though Chiefzilla, good post.

I would agree with this.

But it has to be a new coach and QB. If we improve at QB, huge improvement, but the Chiefs become the Norv Turner Chargers. A team with the talent to go places, but a coach who just doesn't get enough out of his team to play to their potential consistently.

Dayze 10-01-2012 09:42 PM

Id take Billick if he wasn't chillin'

Sorter 10-01-2012 09:44 PM

Chiefzilla, I agree at this point. I think that if you had put a real QB with Crennel at the start of this season, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Sadly, I think he has to go after getting ****ed over by Cassel/Pioli.

DaneMcCloud 10-01-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 8969075)
Id take Billick if he wasn't chillin'

Out of all the ex-coaches that are available, he'd be my choice if the Chiefs decided to go the retread route.

Unlike so many others that are hanging on to old glory by coaching in the UFL (Schottenheimer, Fassel, Green) or went to the broadcast booth (Gruden, Johnson & Cowher), Billick has stayed "in the game" by calling weekly games and having a coaches show on NFL Network.

That said, I'd rather bring in a highly experienced and sharp coordinator over a retread. But I think that the front office and player personnel/evaluation is FAR more important than a head coach.

Most of these guys are as smart as the next guy. It's who is on the field that's the final determination.

chiefzilla1501 10-01-2012 10:07 PM

When I talk about young up-and-comers, here's a perfect example. I think Nick Sirianni is a rising star. He's probably not ready yet, but he has the potential to be a very good head coach a few years down the road.

There's got to be a young guy like Sirianni but with more experience under his belt on another team somewhere. Those are the guys we should be monitoring.

DaneMcCloud 10-01-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 8969147)
When I talk about young up-and-comers, here's a perfect example. I think Nick Sirianni is a rising star. He's probably not ready yet, but he has the potential to be a very good head coach a few years down the road.

There's got to be a young guy like Sirianni but with more experience under his belt on another team somewhere. Those are the guys we should be monitoring.

What makes you think that Nick Sirianni, who up until this season has been a paid intern, has the makings of a fine head coach?

Triple jump much?

Sorter 10-01-2012 10:20 PM

Optimism and bias probably. I know plenty of people who worked as interns, OFQC, etc who I think would make good head coaches if given the opportunity. Doesn't mean they would; it means I would have confidence in them due to me personally knowing them. This probably isn't the case with Chiefzilla, although it could be.

DaneMcCloud 10-01-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8969188)
Optimism and bias probably. I know plenty of people who worked as interns, OFQC, etc who I think would make good head coaches if given the opportunity. Doesn't mean they would; it means I would have confidence in them due to me personally knowing them. This probably isn't the case with Chiefzilla, although it could be.

Nick Sirianni needs about 5 more years in the NFL and a successful coordinating gig before anyone would even consider him for a head coaching position.

LiveSteam 10-01-2012 10:30 PM

I had a dream a few weeks ago. In this very vivid dream. Lane Kiffin & his old man came & turned the Chiefs into a winner.

Sorter 10-01-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8969208)
Nick Sirianni needs about 5 more years in the NFL and a successful coordinating gig before anyone would even consider him for a head coaching position.

Yup. I can't recall personally a NFL HC being promoted from a position coach without spending time as a coordinator.

Sorter 10-01-2012 10:31 PM

And to be honest, it doesn't make sense. Are there any HCs who didn't spend time as a coordinator currently in the NFL?

Titty Meat 10-01-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8969226)
And to be honest, it doesn't make sense. Are there any HCs who didn't spend time as a coordinator currently in the NFL?

Well John Harbaugh was special teams does that count?

Dayze 10-01-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8969093)
Out of all the ex-coaches that are available, he'd be my choice if the Chiefs decided to go the retread route.

Unlike so many others that are hanging on to old glory by coaching in the UFL (Schottenheimer, Fassel, Green) or went to the broadcast booth (Gruden, Johnson & Cowher), Billick has stayed "in the game" by calling weekly games and having a coaches show on NFL Network.

That said, I'd rather bring in a highly experienced and sharp coordinator over a retread. But I think that the front office and player personnel/evaluation is FAR more important than a head coach.

Most of these guys are as smart as the next guy. It's who is on the field that's the final determination.

My thinking as well.
H e was the OC In Minny during the Denny years if I recall

ChiefsCountry 10-01-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8969226)

Andy Reid

Sorter 10-01-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8969252)
Andy Reid

True.

Sorter 10-01-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 8969237)
Well John Harbaugh was special teams does that count?

Yup.

DaneMcCloud 10-01-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8969305)
Yup.

But he was a successful special teams coordinator with a long coaching resume.

He's a rare bird.

chiefzilla1501 10-01-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8969165)
What makes you think that Nick Sirianni, who up until this season has been a paid intern, has the makings of a fine head coach?

Triple jump much?

I said he was a guy to watch out for. I didn't say he was ready now.

And calling a Quality Control coach a paid intern is unbelievably short-selling what they do. They work insane hours and they're the ones who are really digging into the film and analyzing the data, not to mention the administrative side of head coaching. It's basically football bootcamp.

From everything I've heard, the guy is extremely well liked by players and coaches. He was basically Haley's right hand man and he even gave him some responsibility coaching QBs. As a WRs coach, he just seems to be a natural coach -- Haley toughness with a lot less of the dickheadedness. I'd rather take a good leader over a guy with great X's and O's experience.

Sorter 10-01-2012 11:08 PM

No doubt.

Brock 10-01-2012 11:08 PM

I called Mike McCarthy when he was still a pissant intern with KC.

Sorter 10-01-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 8969346)

And calling a Quality Control coach a paid intern is unbelievably short-selling what they do. They work insane hours and they're the ones who are really digging into the film and analyzing the data, not to mention the administrative side of head coaching. It's basically football bootcamp.

^^^This. OFQCs are the most under-appreciated and unknown coaches in the NFL. These guys come up with the game plans and are responsible for analyzing film throughout the entire season, usually working from 5AM-11PM.

DaneMcCloud 10-01-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8969358)
I called Mike McCarthy when he was still a pissant intern with KC.

Really? I knew Mac back in the day when he was at Baker but I never pegged him as an NFL head coach, at least not then.

KC Hawks 10-01-2012 11:23 PM

Gregg Williams is available.

EDIT: But seriously, give me Vic Fangio.

acesn8s 10-03-2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8969362)
^^^This. OFQCs are the most under-appreciated and unknown coaches in the NFL. These guys come up with the game plans and are responsible for analyzing film throughout the entire season, usually working from 5AM-11PM.

Can we get a list of OFQCs that may be worthy of a HC?

acesn8s 10-03-2012 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 8967976)
On Sunday night, Cris Colinsworth made an interesting point about who makes good head coaches. Pointing at John Harbaugh, he mentioned that hiring a ST coach makes sense because they have a broader grasp on the talent on the roster. I would add to that the fact that it seems like hiring a "defensive" coach or "offensive" coach just brings a lack of balance.

That said, who are some of the bright ST coaches out there? DeCamellis?

I'll say this about the Chin: He's not my favorite, but if anyone understands the core aspects of "The Chiefs Way" (dominant at Arrowhead, intimidating defense), it's him.

I still like Rob Ryan, Jay Gruden, and David Shaw. Other than that, I'm open.

I could live with Shaw. Especially if we get a 1st round QB.

acesn8s 10-03-2012 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8967693)
Steve Sarkisian.

Sorry Flopnuts.

I'm not sold

acesn8s 10-03-2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8967694)
If you're looking at the college ranks (which I would not), Chip Kelly.

I'm not wanting a spread offense. This is a pure college coach.

acesn8s 10-03-2012 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel>Manning (Post 8967695)
Mike McCoy is kind of part of the tree after being hired by McDaniels.

Mike McCoy has only one claim to fame, the Tim Tebow offense. He would be good right now if the Chiefs would bench all QBs and run a wildcat with Charles but until that happens, this one is a no.

acesn8s 10-03-2012 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8967734)
Perry Fewell is the best candidate available.

Aggressive 4-3 style, attacking defense. He even did a decent job when he was the interim head coach with Buffalo a few years ago.

We'd have to fire Pioli because he would never bring in a 4-3 coach, but firing Pioli should be a given anyway.

The answer is Perry Fewell.

A DC with a DB background. I am not sure he could make the necessary calls on the offensive side of the ball.

acesn8s 10-03-2012 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8967749)
If the San Diego defense continues to improve, John Pagano is going to appear on many team's radar.

Ray Horton's another guy worth considering.

I think these guys are just flash in the pans.

acesn8s 10-03-2012 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8967937)

Dana Holgorsen for Head Coach.
- Current Head Coach of the West Virginia Mountaineers. One of, if not the, most innovative offensive minds in football at any level. Former Oklahoma State offensive coordinator, who took the Cowboys from #67 to #1 in offense in a single season.

Dick Bumpas for Defensive Coordinator
- Current Defensive Coordinator for the TCU Hornfrogs since 2005 after they finished #99 in total defense in 2004. In 2008, 2009 and 2010, the Hornfrogs were the #1 Defense in college football.

You want the best of the best, the most innovative, forward thinking minds in football right now? There you go.

Holgorsen is a career college guy like Chip Kelly. Bumpas is nearing retirement age. The NFL may not be his cup of tea since he hasn't made the move yet.

acesn8s 10-03-2012 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8967943)
No ****ing way would I hire Holgersen. And if you're looking at college defensive coordinators (which I would not), I'd hire Manny Diaz before anyone else.

Eliot Wolf wouldn't make a lateral move, so that's just silly. As far as Ross is concerned, my biggest fear with him would be head coaching hire. I don't care for Fewell and would puke if he hired Spagnoulo.

Manny Diaz would be no more than a DC in the NFL and I'm not sure he could land that job til he had time with NFL defensive players (regardless of position).

acesn8s 10-03-2012 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8967974)
I'd be fine with this. (I'd also be fine with Diaz instead of Bumpas, but Bumpas may actually be better right now, so no complaints there)

My obscure pick for coach... Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald.

Maybe a LB coach.

chiefzilla1501 10-03-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acesn8s (Post 8972466)
Manny Diaz would be no more than a DC in the NFL and I'm not sure he could land that job til he had time with NFL defensive players (regardless of position).

I brought up a few names in other threads. What do you think about someone like John Morton in San Fran or Gus Bradley in Seattle. Bradley is very intriguing to me. Apparently, monte kiffin was a heavy endorser and said he was a coach you can't miss out on.

acesn8s 10-04-2012 07:05 AM

Bradley is part of the Gruden tree. Has done well as of late but struggled early as DC. As for Morton, I think it would be too big of leap to go from a WR coach to HC in the NFL. Even with his OC background at USC I don't think he would be a SB winning HC at KC.