ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Lesson Learned: Clark is Right to Land HC First (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268322)

stevieray 01-01-2013 12:13 PM

btw FAX, heard we play the Titans this year....

FDE road trip....epic to roll into their stadium as the King.

OnTheWarpath15 01-01-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 9264169)
I don't believe so at least if you look how the Steelers do it. They didn't hire Mike Tomlin and give him full control, both GM and HC work hand in hand and report to the owner.

Kevin Colbert had already been in Pittsburgh for close to a decade.

Chief Faithful 01-01-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9264109)
Sometimes I stay up late worrying about the mentally handicapped.

Clark's strategy in this situation smacks of brilliance. Whether he came up with the idea or merely listened to advice from someone else, it's an extraordinarily smart move, Mr. Hugh Janus.

I've posted this basic idea before, but since nobody ever reads my posts, there's no reason not to repeat it here; Clark is engaging a great strategy.

Let's assume (and probably very correctly) that Dr. Evil has a generous early termination compensation clause in his deal. Let's also assume (equally correctly) that he won't want to just up and quit because he's an incompetent moron. Given those two factoiders, Clark says, "Okay, screw you and your GM position. I'll just hire a coach who can handle your personnel responsibilities and make all the other football decisions. Somebody else can take over the janitorial concerns. You sit by the door and keep your mouth shut or you're fired for cause." Meanwhile, Clark's attorneys try to work out some sort of mutually-agreeable compromise and, failing that, decide whether or not Clark has the liberty to fire him outright based on some other rationale ... such as being a total idiot.

As I said, it's brilliant. A classic case of making chicken salad out of a dodo.

FAX

I'm in agreement and take this a step further this strategy maybe exactly what makes Pioli more effective. He has done well managing the cap and has a good system in place for talent scouting and evaluation. The problem is he does not know what the team needs because of the lack of coaching stability and poor internal talent evaluation. I think both of these problems are solved by this new strategy.

By making the coach equal to the GM and reporting to the owner this attracts better coaching talent. Brings stability to the organization. And most of all give the coach equal say as to what the team needs in the way of talent. For example, if Haley, as reported, did not like Cassel he could say to Pioli get me a new QB and it now becomes Pioli's job to get a new QB. Before Pioli just says its not the QB's fault it is yours and fires the HC. Coach now has more power and respect, which is healthy for the whole organization.

FAX 01-01-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 9264169)
I don't believe so at least if you look how the Steelers do it. They didn't hire Mike Tomlin and give him full control, both GM and HC work hand in hand and report to the owner.

The notion that it severely limits the "talent pool" is almost (but not quite) ridiculous. The talent pool of excellent head coaches is always limited.

Not only that, but Clark has stated that preparations for the "search" have been underway for some time. I'm impressed with our young, studly, well groomed owner.

I say, give him more than 24 hours to find who he considers to be the right guy, for crying out loud.

FAX

FAX 01-01-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 9264175)
btw FAX, heard we play the Titans this year....

FDE road trip....epic to roll into their stadium as the King.

We must get together if at all possible. The beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX said, "You know that guy?" ROFL

I think she has a crush on your cape and shades.

FAX

stevieray 01-01-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9264189)
We must get together if at all possible. The beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX said, "You know that guy?" ROFL

I think she has a crush on your cape and shades.

FAX

oh hell yes....:rockon:

prolly bring the wife and the new kid....

Chief Faithful 01-01-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawk Chief (Post 9264159)
No reason to wait on firing General Mismanager Pioli.

I can think of one good reason. If the HC is in place first he gets involved in the process with the Hunt in selecting the new GM. In the mean time Pioli can keep things operating during the gap allowing Hunt to stay focused on the HC search.

What Hunt has done is fundamentally alter the culture of Arrowhead. Brilliant first move, Mr. Hunt. :clap:

FAX 01-01-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Faithful (Post 9264179)
I'm in agreement and take this a step further this strategy maybe exactly what makes Pioli more effective. He has done well managing the cap and has a good system in place for talent scouting and evaluation. The problem is he does not know what the team needs because of the lack of coaching stability and poor internal talent evaluation. I think both of these problems are solved by this new strategy.

By making the coach equal to the GM and reporting to the owner this attracts better coaching talent. Brings stability to the organization. And most of all give the coach equal say as to what the team needs in the way of talent. For example, if Haley, as reported, did not like Cassel he could say to Pioli get me a new QB and it now becomes Pioli's job to get a new QB. Before Pioli just says its not the QB's fault it is yours and fires the HC. Coach now has more power and respect, which is healthy for the whole organization.

I agree except for the first part about Pioli being somehow "effective". He's done well managing the cap for three reasons; 1) He's dealt with a crap load of rookie deals that were already in place and 2) He's signed guys who weren't crazy about testing FA, and 3) He's brought in absolute garbage as FA talent.

In other words, he's proven that he can not screw up an anvil ... which, when I think about it, is a little surprising in and of itself.

FAX

tooge 01-01-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9264012)
No input on Post #22?

Parker, Hootie, SNR...

Anyone?

I tend to agree with Deez. Clark seems like a very calculating and conservative businessman. I'm thinking he's got his man and now it's a matter of contractual bs and deciding what to do with Pioli. If not, we're in deep shit because that would indicate Clark is clueless.

Mr. Laz 01-01-2013 12:24 PM

Do you trust Clark to know what a head coach is supposed to be?

OnTheWarpath15 01-01-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9264221)
I tend to agree with Deez. Clark seems like a very calculating and conservative businessman. I'm thinking he's got his man and now it's a matter of contractual bs and deciding what to do with Pioli. If not, we're in deep shit because that would indicate Clark is clueless.

I tend agree as well. Or at least hope this is the case, because the alternative is ****ed.

So using some good old fashioned common sense, Clark has pretty much put his eggs in the Bill Cowher, Brian Billick or Jon Gruden basket, yes?

Chief Faithful 01-01-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9264210)
I agree except for the first part about Pioli being somehow "effective". He's done well managing the cap for three reasons; 1) He's dealt with a crap load of rookie deals that were already in place and 2) He's signed guys who weren't crazy about testing FA, and 3) He's brought in absolute garbage as FA talent.

In other words, he's proven that he can not screw up an anvil ... which, when I think about it, is a little surprising in and of itself.

FAX

Pioli brought in the same talent evaluation and management system used in New England and Atlanta, which is a great system. The thing that has failed is Pioli has been responsible for determining the team needs. Let Pioli work the scouting system and let the HC determine what the team needs and this could work just as well as it does in New England and Atlanta.

dirk digler 01-01-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9264178)
Kevin Colbert had already been in Pittsburgh for close to a decade.

And Bill Cowher was in place before he was

Chiefaholic 01-01-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawk Chief (Post 9264159)
No reason to wait on firing General Mismanager Pioli.

How do you know? I don't think Pioli will be retained. However, there are multiple financial reasons Pioli is temporarily holding the position. I can all but guarantee Hunts lawyers are looking over Pioli's contract right now looking for an out clause.

OnTheWarpath15 01-01-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 9264230)
And Bill Cowher was in place before he was

You're missing the point.

You're using Pittsburgh as an example, yet they've never had the HC and GM position open at the same time.