ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Schefter :Colin Kaepernick can't cash in (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269332)

Hootie 01-26-2013 12:27 PM

I think it's a gross injustice in all honesty...especially for a guy like Alfred Morris. I think players should be able to renegotiate their contracts whenever they want, you know, since NFL teams can cut them whenever they want

Rausch 01-26-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9352621)
I think it's a gross injustice in all honesty...especially for a guy like Alfred Morris. I think players should be able to renegotiate their contracts whenever they want, you know, since NFL teams can cut them whenever they want

ONLY with great penalty...

Pasta Little Brioni 01-26-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9352621)

Again, if he sucks the next year is he going to then give the money back?

Hootie 01-26-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9352624)
ONLY with great penalty...

Cutting a 2nd rounder comes with great penalty? Uhm, no.

mnchiefsguy 01-26-2013 12:38 PM

meh.....Wilson and Kapernick will both get endorsement deals that will probably pay them more than their contracts... I am not going to lose any sleep over this.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-26-2013 12:40 PM

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than the travesty of paying these clowns as much as they were previously getting. Make them earn it.

Hootie 01-26-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9352652)
Again, if he sucks the next year is he going to then give the money back?

Not the point. Wilson and Kaepernick will eventually get mega contracts but it's unfair they play the PRESTIGE position and play it an elite level and their salaries have barely made them millionaires...they should be able to renegotiate whenever they please.

The real injustice is the Alfred Morris' of the NFL...that dude has a 3-5 year shelf life so he'll basically never earn what he deserves after the year he just had.

It's always going to be a flawed system...hopefully the agents of Wilson and Kaep can land them some high paying endorsements in the meantime

Rausch 01-26-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9352656)
Cutting a 2nd rounder comes with great penalty? Uhm, no.

Not now.

Your first year out of college should someone be forced to pay you guaranteed money to hire you?

That happen anywhere else?

The NFL has realized the absurdity in it as well...

Pasta Little Brioni 01-26-2013 12:43 PM

Don't care. One season (or half season) does not a career make. Morris will get paid if he keeps it up. If he doesn't, he'll be out of a job like anyone else that doesn't perform in their field.

If they don't like it, they can buy a Papa Johns or some shit.

Deberg_1990 01-26-2013 12:44 PM

For every 1 or 2 Kaepernicks and Wilsons, there are about 100 rookie washouts or players performing at average contract level.

NFL is doing it right.

Rausch 01-26-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9352663)
Soooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than the travesty of paying these clowns as much as they were previously getting. Make them earn it.

This.

And you better believe that if you're a top 5 guy you WILL be compensated when your contract his up...

Hootie 01-26-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9352663)

You're off on this...

I agree, the pay scale for the first 10 picks is awesome but this wouldn't have ever applied to Wilson or Kaep because they weren't "lottery" picks...

At least in the old CBA these guys who are gems that grossly outplay their contracts could at least get paid and that's their right as professionals

Pasta Little Brioni 01-26-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9352678)
You're off on this...

I agree, the pay scale for the first 10 picks is awesome but this wouldn't have ever applied to Wilson or Kaep because they weren't "lottery" picks...

At least in the old CBA these guys who are gems that grossly outplay their contracts could at least get paid and that's their right as professionals

If they keep it up, they'll get paid. Simple as that. Right now they don't deserve a mega deal.

Hootie 01-26-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9352683)
If they keep it up, they'll get paid. Simple as that. Right now they don't deserve a mega deal.

Wilson and Kaepernick don't deserve a mega deal?

That's ridiculous.

Hootie 01-26-2013 12:53 PM

3rd - 7th round picks are the lowest paid players in the NFL because they are EXPECTED to be "washouts" with very little success rates of being star caliber or even starting caliber.

The ones that do hit (like Wilson) should be able to rework his contract JUST LIKE the NFL can simply cut guys like Pat White after 1 season with very little impact...

look, the wage scale for the first 15 picks was ABSOLUTELY necessary...paying Sam Bradford $60M guaranteed had to stop. They have this right now. The fact they get paid like quality players and are fully guaranteed makes total, 100% sense.

That's not the argument.

And I'm sure the agents for Kaep and Wilson can make them a lot of $$$ in endorsements, so whatever. They'll live.

The real injustice is for a guy like Alfred Wilson. He has, at best, a 5 year window to make enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life. This is his JOB, his PROFESSION, and unlike you and me he can't work for 50 years in this profession.

If he's outplaying other backs who make MILLIONS, he should be able to request a better contract after a year he had this year. Instead he's locked in for $300K per year for his first 3 years and if he wants to rework his contract after 3 years his team still has ALL of the leverage so odds are he's going to have to settle for $0.50 on the $1 even when he gets to finally rework his deal anyways.

It's a bullshit flaw in the CBA. Players should be able to rework their deals whenever they want...us fans think holdouts suck and are annoying but that doesn't matter, this is their LIVELIHOOD. If our jobs aren't paying us enough we put in resumes for other jobs and look for better pay and more security...you guys saying NFL players shouldn't have that luxury is ignorant.