ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc How dangerous is Turkey (the country) these days? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306266)

ChiliConCarnage 02-27-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

U.S. citizens are warned of increased threats from terrorist groups in Turkey. Carefully consider the need to travel to Turkey at this time, and avoid travel to southeast Turkey due to the persistent threat of terrorism. The Department of State has placed restrictions on official travel by U.S. government personnel to Istanbul and to certain areas in southeast Turkey. This replaces the Travel Warning dated October 29, 2016.
It doesn't sound like great timing

BlackHelicopters 02-27-2017 05:50 PM

Check the US State Department Travel warnings site.

mdstu 02-27-2017 05:51 PM

Turkey used to be a cool place to visit and was extremely secular for that part of the world. Those days have come to an end as far as I'm concerned. You'd have to pay me alot of money and a detailed promise of security to get me anywhere near that place, and I'm a pretty seasoned world traveler.

Any fanny pack wearing pale face gets there head lopped off in that corner of the world gets no sympathy from me.

Rain Man 02-27-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahrenheit (Post 12759586)
People actually visit Turkey?

Turkey's a really cool country. it's got lots and lots of old ruins, it's got Istanbul, it's got cool natural areas...I remember reading once that it has more Roman ruins than Italy does. (Or maybe it was more Greek ruins than Greece does.) I'd love to visit the country, and it was in our top three travel list for several years.

I suspect it's safe. Turks are more European than Middle Eastern, and I think they're proud that they're a secular state rather than a theocracy.

That said, I'm pretty much just avoiding the Muslim world these days. I'll wait another 20 years until it's safe again. These things always run in cycles.

Iowanian 02-27-2017 05:56 PM

Maybe as a practice run you should visit Chicago and get on the train in a Trump T shirt. Maybe around oak park.

New World Order 02-27-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 12759611)
I watched every second of every Chiefs game for decades but I haven't watched a single game since the trade for Smith became official. I won't watch another until the Chiefs get serious (my opinion) at the QB position.

Then don't go.

There is a travel warning from the state.

el borracho 02-27-2017 06:06 PM

Well, I don't wear a fanny pack and I'm not particularly pale but I would obviously be a tourist. Looks like there is a bombing every month, just wasn't sure if that is isolated to specific sites or if it is everywhere.

While sites like the US State Department and CDC are good recommendations for lots of travelers, I find that I am less conservative than lots of travelers. Visited a lot of places that people consider dangerous and had no troubles. 2017 Turkey might not fall into that category, though. Just checking if anyone had been recently and could counter what seems to be some pretty terrible violence in the news.

mdstu 02-27-2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 12759759)
Well, I don't wear a fanny pack and I'm not particularly pale but I would obviously be a tourist. Looks like there is a bombing every month, just wasn't sure if that is isolated to specific sites or if it is everywhere.

While sites like the US State Department and CDC are good recommendations for lots of travelers, I find that I am less conservative than lots of travelers. Visited a lot of places that people consider dangerous and had no troubles. 2017 Turkey might not fall into that category, though. Just checking if anyone had been recently and could counter what seems to be some pretty terrible violence in the news.

I guess my post could be read as an insult, that wasn't my intend.

I know a few people that have been and they loved it, but were talking 80's/90's. I'd imagine that you could visit without issue.

I would also boycott them for the sole reason that their government has recently been supporting terrorist groups, namely ISIS. Not to mention they just had a pseudo Coup d'état attempt last summer. That's just me though. I'd consider that a young mans play. The older I get the more cautious I get.

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-27-2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 12759759)

What you could do is just wear a fake suicide belt and you would fit right in.

Mr. Laz 02-27-2017 06:45 PM

So smart about the Chiefs' QB situation but dumb about going to Turkey.

got it

ping2000 02-27-2017 06:55 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...18b5973b1a.jpg

TLO 02-27-2017 07:41 PM

If you have to ask hope safe a country is, it's probably best not to visit said county.

ClevelandBronco 02-27-2017 07:43 PM

It's unlikely to get better during our lifetimes. Get there sooner rather than later.

Bugeater 02-27-2017 07:47 PM

Never understood why someone would want to travel to any 3rd world shithole when there are so many fantastic places right here in the U.S.

hometeam 02-27-2017 08:21 PM

Well, I mean the government just staged a coup so they could crack down on basically everything and go farther down the road to full sharia.

So thats nice.