ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Lions leaning OT? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204286)

Mr. Krab 03-16-2009 10:17 AM

Lions leaning OT?

Lions will draft a left tackle with their No. 1 pick

by Tom Kowalski | Opinion Sunday March 15, 2009, 4:45 PM

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/opinio...owalskicol.png
Aaron Curry could probably be a tremendous middle linebacker and I'm sure the Detroit Lions are going to let everyone know that as the draft approaches, but I'm more and more convinced that the Lions are going to draft a left tackle.

It's going to be Baylor's Jason Smith or Virginia's Eugene Monroe and the selection between those two will most likely be based on the contract negotiations leading up to the draft.

There are several reasons why I think it's going to be a left tackle:

• I just don't believe the Lions are sold on Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford. Yeah, he's probably going to have an awesome pro day workout on Thursday but I'm not sure that's going answer some of the inconsistency questions that keep popping up on his college tape. The Lions know they need to upgrade the quarterback position and that's why I think they're going to be in the ear of the Broncos for a possible trade with Jay Cutler.

Cutler might not show up for Monday's off-season program in Denver and don't forget that the owners' meetings begin next Sunday. Martin Mayhew and Tom Lewand are going to be seeing a lot of Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and you can bet they'll try to sell him on a deal.

• Curry, who is having dinner with some members of the Lions organization tonight, will visit the team facility tomorrow and go through a more extensive interview. Curry might be a good fit, but I'm not sure his selection makes sense salary cap-wise. Left tackle is one of the big-money positions and it seems more logical, to me anyway, that the Lions would prefer to drop $32 million in guaranteed money into that position instead of linebacker.

Mayhew already has made it very clear that he's open to moving veteran Jeff Backus to guard.

More than anything, the reason I think a left tackle is the pick is because of something I've heard from everyone in the organization, especially head coach Jim Schwartz. He keeps talking about running the ball and stopping the run and, when you can do those things, you become more consistent from week to week. I don't think it's rhetoric. I think Schwartz is committed to building the Lions in the trenches first. He's often talked about how much more leverage an offensive coordinator can have when he has a dominant left tackle. Along with a pass-rushing defensive end, left tackle is the most important position on the line of scrimmage.

The Lions, of course, are going to let everyone keep believing that Stafford and Curry are viable options at No. 1, partly because the Lions could find a place for them, but mostly because it'll make negotiating with the left tackles easier in mid-April.

There are still six weeks before the draft and a lot of things are going to change. Players at the top of the board will see their stock ebb and flow but the one thing that won't change is the Lions' commitment to building their team in the trenches first. That's why it's going to be a left tackle at that No. 1 spot.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf..._left_tac.html

talastan 03-16-2009 10:35 AM

I could see Stafford, but this makes more sense to me as far as the Lions pick. Look what Joe Thomas, and Jake Long did for their respective teams. I think you're looking at the possiblity of OT going 1 and 2 at the top of this year's draft. Then that leaves us in a prime position for either signing Curry, or trading down with another team looking for Curry, Stafford, Crabtree, etc. I like the way this is turning out! :Pinky:

Reaper16 03-16-2009 10:45 AM

Cutler + Calvin Johnson...

Chiefnj2 03-16-2009 10:47 AM

Give the 20th and a 3rd for Cutler and take the top LOT with the first pick. They can take the best available defensive player in the 2nd and still have a 3rd round pick.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-16-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5586714)
Cutler + Calvin Johnson...

Full of win.

Although, long term I still think a combination of Stafford, Johnson, and whatever LT you can get at 20 or 33 would be superior to that.

DaKCMan AP 03-16-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5586737)
Full of win.

Although, long term I still think a combination of Stafford, Johnson, and whatever LT you can get at 20 or 33 would be superior to that.

Would you take Stafford, Johnson and LT at #20 or Cutler, Johnson and LT at #1?

doomy3 03-16-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 5586745)

I think it's Cutler, Johnson and LT at #1 by a long shot.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-16-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Well, I love Stafford, so I think the potential of landing him plus whoever you can get at 20 and 33 is worth it. I really like the LT class this year, but I'm not a believer that you have to have Walter Jones or you can't win a game.

If I'm Detroit, I think I take Stafford at 1, use my extra 3 to move up to around 13-15 and take Oher, and then draft Jamon Meredith, Mack, or Unger at 33.

Then, I've got my QBOTF, I avoid a talented-thin draft on defense for next year when I'll have another high pick, and I've got either bookend tackles for the next decade, or a cornerstone LT with a Kevin Mawae or Matt Birk type center.

If I'm Detroit, I'd focus on using my picks to rebuild my line and secure my QBOTF this year.

If I want to win now, I trade for Cutler. It's the safer move, and they could still give him a hell of a line to play behind, but what I do is realize that Detroit will suck anyway and position themselves to compete in 2011.

Neither option is wrong, though.

Mr. Krab 03-16-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

You gotta understand, Hamas has been pretty relentless in his attacking of anyone who even hinted at the Chiefs not taking a QB with the #3 pick, so he can't really change now.

It's all about the 'fight' with him.

Mr. Arrowhead 03-16-2009 01:13 PM

idiots

Mecca 03-16-2009 01:24 PM

If the Lions don't take Stafford this offseason is gonna make me wanna vomit.

morphius 03-16-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5587089)
If the Lions don't take Stafford this offseason is gonna make me wanna vomit.

I'm confused I thought you said Sanchez was the better pick?

Mr. Krab 03-16-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 5587477)
I'm confused I thought you said Sanchez was the better pick?

hehe