ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports The Fishing Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=223680)

ZootedGranny 05-10-2010 03:20 PM

This year my birthday happened to land on Mother's Day, so my brother and I got together with my mom to celebrate. On her property is a nice sized pond, and we've fished it a handful of times with great success. We've caught a few three pound bass, a few four pound catfish and a ton of one/two pound bass and big bluegill.

I like to go out there and work on finesse techniques (because almost anything works), while my brother uses the old hook, worm and bobber. I've outfished him all day, but I hit a stretch where I wasn't getting any bites and he was pulling in fish every other cast. He's turned around to tell me to switch to live bait when his bobber gets pulled under like the barrels in Jaws. I hear his line tightening, he loosens his drag, and up comes this monster:
http://xs.to/image-5BF9_4BE87894.jpg

Didn't have a scale on me, but the length and girth estimate to be 7.4 pounds +/- an ounce.

Pablo 05-10-2010 05:22 PM

Caught my first bass of the year on Saturday.

Purple and orange magnum bass-stopper. Probably a 3.5 lber.

Pretty fish. Even gave it a kiss.

Bill Lundberg 05-25-2010 01:16 PM

Leaving for a week long trip to Canada on Friday. It's a little tough to concentrate right now...

Demonpenz 05-25-2010 01:36 PM

nice pig

KCChiefsMan 05-25-2010 01:42 PM

that reminds me, I want to do some fishing around this area before I leave Boston.

NewChief 05-25-2010 01:44 PM

Will be spending Memorial Day Weekend up in Bella Vista on the lakes. Should be able to get some quality fishing in.

Rooster 05-25-2010 02:17 PM

We just got back from Bull Shoals Lake. We got into some smallmouth bass. I had never fished for them before but now I am hooked. (No pun intended) Those bastards really fight. Good times.:)

Bill Lundberg 05-25-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 6779831)
We just got back from Bull Shoals Lake. We got into some smallmouth bass. I had never fished for them before but now I am hooked. (No pun intended) Those bastards really fight. Good times.:)

Yep - Smallies are pound for pound some of the toughest fighters out there.

NewChief 05-25-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Lundberg (Post 6779853)
Yep - Smallies are pound for pound some of the toughest fighters out there.

Yeah, and you're about to head to the land of the BIG smallmouth.

Bill Lundberg 05-25-2010 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6779860)
Yeah, and you're about to head to the land of the BIG smallmouth.

Here's one from last year

Rooster 05-25-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Lundberg (Post 6779977)
Here's one from last year

Nice. :thumb:

Sully 05-25-2010 04:25 PM

So two weeks ago I bought my first rod and reel. Got a cheap baitcaster. Been fishing a few times, and caught my first (very small) fish yesterday on Lake Jacomo.

This reel is frustrating as hell. I spend more time untangling birdnests than fishing. I read up and watched some videos on how to use it correctly, and it helped, but still tons of tangles. I think I'm going to go back and buy an open reel while I'm learning. I think it's a combo of user error, and buying the cheapest baitcaster I could find.

Ah well. Still enjoying it.

Contrarian 05-25-2010 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Smallies are on fire out in Washington state right now.

NewChief 05-25-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrarian (Post 6780309)
Smallies are on fire out in Washington state right now.

It's ridiculous how big those bastards get up there.

Bill Lundberg 05-25-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 6780257)
So two weeks ago I bought my first rod and reel. Got a cheap baitcaster. Been fishing a few times, and caught my first (very small) fish yesterday on Lake Jacomo.

This reel is frustrating as hell. I spend more time untangling birdnests than fishing. I read up and watched some videos on how to use it correctly, and it helped, but still tons of tangles. I think I'm going to go back and buy an open reel while I'm learning. I think it's a combo of user error, and buying the cheapest baitcaster I could find.

Ah well. Still enjoying it.

Go buy a spinning reel and save the baitcaster for when you have time to master it. It helps a lot if you are casting heavier lures on the bait caster. Make sure you have your drag set properly as well.