ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports *** Official USA vs Belgium World Cup Game Thread *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284720)

|Zach| 07-01-2014 07:21 AM

*** Official USA vs Belgium World Cup Game Thread ***

USA vs Belgium | 3PM CT | ESPN | Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador, Brazil

Knock out stage. Trying to make the jump from the 16 teams to 8 teams where the winner of this game will play the winner of Argentina vs Switzerland.

No ties...someone has to advance. Detailed preview here via Shinguardian.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QC9FwLgDwwo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RockChalk 07-01-2014 07:36 AM

Closing my office at 2:30 and taking the guys somewhere to watch it.

|Zach| 07-01-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 10725273)
Closing my office at 2:30 and taking the guys somewhere to watch it.

Nice, are you in Lawrence? Red Lyon is a good spot.

WilliamTheIrish 07-01-2014 07:38 AM

Another 0-0 tie?
Flopping?
Paint drying
bitchez crying

Just thought I'd get those out of the way...

RockChalk 07-01-2014 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10725277)
Nice, are you in Lawrence? Red Lyon is a good spot.

I lived at Red Lyon until about 9 months ago.

I could get in since I am friends with everyone who works there, but I can't close down til 2:30 and I'm not going to crash their party that late. It will probably be packed by 1 or so.

|Zach| 07-01-2014 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 10725280)
Another 0-0 tie?
Flopping?
Paint drying
bitchez crying

Just thought I'd get those out of the way...

Ya, it is sort of funny.

There has been plenty of soccer hate but not quite as much as I would have figured. Especially since here...at ChiefsPlanet this is the kind of place that would be ground zero for anti soccer type stuff except for...I dunno...Free Republic.

I have been pretty amazed at how much people have been tuned in. I thought it would be good times for the sport but not this good.

WilliamTheIrish 07-01-2014 07:40 AM

PK'S.
offsides
'Mericuns like me (obese overweight never played/watched) won't love the game because we dont understand stoppage/injury time.

|Zach| 07-01-2014 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 10725283)
I lived at Red Lyon until about 9 months ago.

I could get in since I am friends with everyone who works there, but I can't close down til 2:30 and I'm not going to crash their party that late. It will probably be packed by 1 or so.

Interesting. I am good friends with Joey Nasternak. I still haven't made it over there though I really need to...they show all the Sporting games as well.

WilliamTheIrish 07-01-2014 07:41 AM

OK, I'm ready.

RockChalk 07-01-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10725290)
Interesting. I am good friends with Joey Nasternak. I still haven't made it over there though I really need to...they show all the Sporting games as well.

Hilarious. Funny that I've never met you then, as I usually go to a few SKC games with him each season. I actually picked up one of those souvenir rings for him at the game a few weeks back. He's good people.

|Zach| 07-01-2014 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 10725296)
Hilarious. Funny that I've never met you then, as I usually go to a few SKC games with him each season. I actually picked up one of those souvenir rings for him at the game a few weeks back. He's good people.

Nice!

RockChalk 07-01-2014 07:46 AM

Are you watching at P&L today?

|Zach| 07-01-2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 10725303)

I have watched every game at Johnny's Tavern but can't make it happen today because I need to jet and do some things right after the game. I will be going crazy watching the game at home. Sort of bummed not watching it with everyone but will be nice to relax and have some space. Ha.

Reerun_KC 07-01-2014 07:52 AM

Have become completely addicted to the World Cup this year. Still struggling to understand some of the rules.

Been listening on TuneItIn or watching most of the games for the last few weeks... This is insane, never seen anything like it... The excitement and support is off the charts...

Sucks I have to wait another 4 years for this.

|Zach| 07-01-2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 10725311)
Have become completely addicted to the World Cup this year. Still struggling to understand some of the rules.

Been listening on TuneItIn or watching most of the games for the last few weeks... This is insane, never seen anything like it... The excitement and support is off the charts...

Is what is or isnt a foul confusing or offside more so?

It is sort of funny on one hand its an incredible simple game but when you dive in it all feels complicated.

RockChalk 07-01-2014 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10725306)
I have watched every game at Johnny's Tavern but can't make it happen today because I need to jet and do some things right after the game. I will be going crazy watching the game at home. Sort of bummed not watching it with everyone but will be nice to relax and have some space. Ha.

The space will be nice.

I was watching SC when working out this morning and they did a little piece on the "I Believe..." chant. I thought SKC started that a few years ago, haha.

Reerun_KC 07-01-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10725316)
Is what is or isnt a foul confusing or offside more so?

It is sort of funny on one hand its an incredible simple game but when you dive in it all feels complicated.

It took me awhile to get the whole offsides thing.... I was like dude you just got worked and the guy broke free... Not that simple.

Also, not a fan of the flopping, but soccer ref is just about as bad as NBA ref, which everyone knows are the worse in all major sports...

WhawhaWhat 07-01-2014 07:56 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VFwXmz1KGoQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WhawhaWhat 07-01-2014 07:57 AM

Going to Twin Peaks to watch the game.

WilliamTheIrish 07-01-2014 07:58 AM

Quote:

Yessir!

Reerun_KC 07-01-2014 08:01 AM

Watching at the home office today...

|Zach| 07-01-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 10725326)
The space will be nice.

I was watching SC when working out this morning and they did a little piece on the "I Believe..." chant. I thought SKC started that a few years ago, haha.

There was a whole show about the chant interestingly enough though my understand of it is different from their telling. My understanding is it came from Utah St basketball fans but they say it came from the Navy. The first example I saw of it was NYRB fans doing it but SKC made did it better and made it more popular...I also think they were the bridge from MLS to the American Outlaws doing it for US games.

It feels really played out now and I wonder if KC will drop but everyones loves it so that is good.

Weird I couldn't really find a video that did justice to how loud it gets at Sporting Park.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dVv9X4co_CA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

|Zach| 07-01-2014 08:06 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrdUYvSCEAEu-Z8.jpg

penguinz 07-01-2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

women's world cup is next year. In some ways it is a better game. More tactical and less diving.

sedated 07-01-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

I'll be there. Went to the first game and got addicted to the atmosphere.

|Zach| 07-01-2014 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10725366)
women's world cup is next year. In some ways it is a better game. More tactical and less diving.

Ya, still plenty of horse shit to go around. Remember that Brazilian player that got stretchered off and then popped back up. Couldnt ****ing believe it.

|Zach| 07-01-2014 08:18 AM

A round table of sorts talking about the possibility of the USA *gulp* going to penalties.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/01/sp...ry-continues-2

SPATCH 07-01-2014 08:18 AM

I Believe is becoming a bit of an international phenomenon. I saw a video of St. Etienne (French Ligue 1) supporters doing it the other day (in english).

The chant is definitely stale for SKC supporters, but it's a great thing for this World Cup with so many new fans watching.

SPATCH 07-01-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10725377)
A round table of sorts talking about the possibility of the USA *gulp* going to penalties.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/01/sp...ry-continues-2

I will die.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 07-01-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

:Lin:

RockChalk 07-01-2014 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10725342)
There was a whole show about the chant interestingly enough though my understand of it is different from their telling. My understanding is it came from Utah St basketball fans but they say it came from the Navy. The first example I saw of it was NYRB fans doing it but SKC made did it better and made it more popular...I also think they were the bridge from MLS to the American Outlaws doing it for US games.

It feels really played out now and I wonder if KC will drop but everyones loves it so that is good.

Weird I couldn't really find a video that did justice to how loud it gets at Sporting Park.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dVv9X4co_CA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Was that at the Rapids playoff game a few years back? That's the first time I'd ever heard it

RockChalk 07-01-2014 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10725372)
Ya, still plenty of horse shit to go around. Remember that Brazilian player that got stretchered off and then popped back up. Couldnt ****ing believe it.

I was watching at home and actually threw a half full beer can from my living room to kitchen. It wasn't one of my finer moments, but I was livid :D

Reerun_KC 07-01-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 10725384)
:Lin:

So you don't like females... Got it...

DJJasonp 07-01-2014 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10725342)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/dirty-...040228934.html

SDSU's "the show" has been doing it for 4-5 years now also (which it mentions in the article)

|Zach| 07-01-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 10725422)
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/dirty-...040228934.html

SDSU's "the show" has been doing it for 4-5 years now also (which it mentions in the article)

I have seen it dated back to Utah St longer than that...not that I actually care...I sort of hope it starts going away in KC.

Why Not? 07-01-2014 08:37 AM

Work for two hours, then hitting a local wing place with some people. Can't wait!

WhawhaWhat 07-01-2014 08:47 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zaTmXuQr0LA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lzen 07-01-2014 08:59 AM

I've never been a big soccer fan, but I do enjoy watching the World Cup. First got interested about 20 years ago. I think that was the year that the MLS started up and one of the World Cups (men's or women's?) was in the US. I'll admit that the offsides rule was a little weird and confusing. I did find a nice vid on Youtube explaining it and now I think I have a pretty good understanding. And I have always understood the extra time thing. Still think it is stupid, though. Why can't they just stop the clock for subs and whatnot like every other sport? I also think that soccer suffers a bit due to low scores and ties. Despite those flaws, it is still an exciting game to watch.

Eleazar 07-01-2014 09:01 AM

I think it's a lame chant, personally. It doesn't make a lot of sense

DaKCMan AP 07-01-2014 09:17 AM

I'm wearing a red/blue/white (mostly red) plaid button down today. This morning while getting dressed I asked the gf:

Awesome: What color is my shirt?

Awesome gf: Salmon-reddish?

Awesome: WRONG! It's the color 'Merica!

Leaving work around 3P today to go watch the game with her before her shift @ the hospital.

RockChalk 07-01-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 10725532)
I'm wearing a red/blue/white (mostly red) plaid button down today. This morning while getting dressed I asked the gf:

Leaving work around 3P today to go watch the game with her before her shift @ the hospital.

AWESOME

Reerun_KC 07-01-2014 09:32 AM

MERICA!!!!!

Titty Meat 07-01-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

You arent going because you know they will lose.

|Zach| 07-01-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10725555)
You arent going because you know they will lose.

False.

I have work commitments.

Setsuna 07-01-2014 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 10725532)

That story sucked 5 years of my life away.

Anywho, USA bout to get got.

memyselfI 07-01-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

The depression the day after the Cup ends is the one thing I hate about the cup. So much goodness crammed into one month and then _____________. Luckily Sporting is back on top and EPL starts up again soon. But still, the every four years aspect of this tournament is torture.

memyselfI 07-01-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

I have watched from home since game one. I miss the parties and the crowds but I'm too damn superstitious to chance it...Next Cup, I am starting out at the parties.

Rain Man 07-01-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Y'know, I was just wondering the other day if there was a women's world cup. I'm not very well versed on futbol.

memyselfI 07-01-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10725674)
Y'know, I was just wondering the other day if there was a women's world cup. I'm not very well versed on futbol.

I watch to support the women's US team but for the most part I don't find the games nearly as entertaining.

Baby Lee 07-01-2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10725674)

You don't remember this?

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-co.../PA-320273.jpg

Deberg_1990 07-01-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 10725492)
I've never been a big soccer fan, but I do enjoy watching the World Cup. First got interested about 20 years ago. I think that was the year that the MLS started up and one of the World Cups (men's or women's?) was in the US. I'll admit that the offsides rule was a little weird and confusing. I did find a nice vid on Youtube explaining it and jnow I think I have a pretty good understanding. And I have always understood the extra time thing. Still think it is stupid, though. Why can't they just stop the clock for subs and whatnot like every other sport? I also think that soccer suffers a bit due to low scores and ties. Despite those flaws, it is still an exciting game to watch.

That 1994 World Cup and men's team was Hugely influential to what US soccer is today. The team with Alexi Lalas and Tony Meola. There would be no MLS without it being held in the US. Soccer was dead in the US before those games. Here's a good story about it

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/201...soccer-history

memyselfI 07-01-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10725701)
That 1994 World Cup and men's team was Hugely influential to what US soccer is today. The team with Alexi Lalas and Tony Meola. There would be no MLS without it being held in the US. Soccer was dead in the US before those games. Here's a good story about it

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/201...soccer-history

The last 20 years have seen an amazing growth of the sport. Much to do still but it's not going anywhere so the people waiting anxiously for the fad to end will die off before soccer does. :bravo::toast:PBJ

DaKCMan AP 07-01-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 10725592)
That story sucked 5 years of my life away.

Anywho, USA bout to get got.

You're less than not Awesome.

Old Dog 07-01-2014 01:02 PM

posted this in the other thread, but Altidore isn't starting today and Beckerman has been benched for Cameron per ESPN

Skyy God 07-01-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 10725923)
posted this in the other thread, but Altidore isn't starting today and Beckerman has been benched for Cameron per ESPN

Boo Beckerman being benched.

ct 07-01-2014 01:13 PM

Right on KC!

#REPRESENT

Pablo 07-01-2014 01:15 PM

Power and Light looks ****ing awesome!

And ****ing hot as hell too. I'll cheer from the air conditioned comfort of my house.

Because I'm a lazy American, that's why.

memyselfI 07-01-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 10725945)

And ****ing hot as hell too. I'll cheer from the air conditioned comfort of my house.

Looks awesome but hot, sweaty, and hard to pee. Pass. Crowds that full make me nervous. I'd rather go to a sports bar or stay home, order pizza, no bathroom wait, and free beer.

ChiTown 07-01-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Do they have a live camera of the P&L we can view? Just curious.

CaliforniaChief 07-01-2014 01:21 PM

Any stream link? I am DirecTV and don't have access to Watch ESPN.

Pablo 07-01-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 10725954)
Do they have a live camera of the P&L we can view? Just curious.

Not that I'm aware of.

ESPN just flashes crowd shots every ten minutes or so. It's as packed as you'll see it outside of a (insert shitty, generic country artist) concert.

Old Dog 07-01-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 10725955)
Any stream link? I am DirecTV and don't have access to Watch ESPN.

unavision.com

CaliforniaChief 07-01-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 10725962)
unavision.com

Yeah, I'll go through Univision I guess. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL.

LoneWolf 07-01-2014 01:28 PM

I don't really care for the sport, but here's to hoping all of you that are in to soccer enjoy the game and that the US advances.

sedated 07-01-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Went there for 2 games, was an absolute blast. Like Halloween mixed with the Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

Pablo 07-01-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 10725970)
Went there for 2 games, was an absolute blast. Like Halloween mixed with the Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

Well shit.

That sounds pretty awesome.

Old Dog 07-01-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 10725970)
Like Halloween mixed with the Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

You're 33. How in the hell would you know?*

just givin' you a hard time

Pablo 07-01-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 10725968)
I don't really care for the sport, but here's to hoping all of you that are in to soccer enjoy the game and that the US advances.

C'mon man, at least make some remark about how much more enjoyable NASCAR is or something.

Don't just come in here and not shit on the sport.

KCCHIEFS27 07-01-2014 01:31 PM

So, every group winner has advanced. 7-0. Toast to us being the lone runner-up to move on

eDave 07-01-2014 01:37 PM

P&L is ROCKING!

sedated 07-01-2014 01:40 PM

They just showed 4 or 5 watch parties and holy shlt, P&L was by far the best. Beachballs being batted around, everyone jumping up and down, Bob Ley "KC, such a great soccer town". Id leave now if I could get there in time.

sedated 07-01-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 10725977)
You're 33.

WTF? How did you know that?

Kansas City Kid 07-01-2014 01:41 PM

So if the USA loses 1-0 they get to advance like last time? :rolleyes:

Rausch 07-01-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas City Kid (Post 10726002)

No...

Pablo 07-01-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

SO IF U MAK3 SOME FUNNIES IN DIS THREAD U THINK PPL WILL LAFF??

:drool:

Reerun_KC 07-01-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

No they just to roll train your mom....

Old Dog 07-01-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 10726001)

The same way I know your birthday is 6 April

the Talking Can 07-01-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Wayne Rooney
@WayneRooney

Have to admit I'm a USA fan today

fyi, guardian's live blog is a great way to follow matches:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...14-live-report

Kansas City Kid 07-01-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 10726005)
No they just to roll train your mom....

Or take down your soccer shorts and punish your turd tunnel.

Old Dog 07-01-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 10726001)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/g1fIH6GMIJg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>