ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Jupiter Ascending (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279341)

L.A. Chieffan 01-29-2015 03:09 PM

Kubrick is headed where?

siberian khatru 01-29-2015 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 11299082)
Kubrick is headed where?

LMAO

I think he already got to where he was going.

-King- 01-29-2015 03:45 PM

Channing Tatum wasn't bad in The Vow either.

Deberg_1990 01-29-2015 05:58 PM

Kubrick is doing pretty good for a dead guy!

DaneMcCloud 01-29-2015 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 11298947)
The Wachowskis are like Lucas: one good idea (the original "Matrix", much like the original "Star Wars") and that's it.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

American Graffitti, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Empire Strikes Back and Willow for starters. He "ghost edited" Jurassic Park. He created Industrial Light & Magic and built Skywalker Sound, one of the foremost mixing stages in the world.

He single-handedly changed the industry with "Droid", the first computer editing system that was sold later to a couple of guys that turned it into Avid, which is the world's leading editing platform.

He later created Pixar and sold it to his friend Steve Jobs for a mere $10 million. His advice, guidance and vision has played a huge role for too many filmmakers to count and inspired generations of filmmakers.

The Wachowski's made one film that was awesome but plagiarized and have since followed it up with nonsensical garbage.

Deberg_1990 01-29-2015 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11299383)

American Graffitti, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Empire Strikes Back and Willow for starters. He "ghost edited" Jurassic Park. He created Industrial Light & Magic and built Skywalker Sound, one of the foremost mixing stages in the world.

He single-handedly changed the industry with "Droid", the first computer editing system that was sold later to a couple of guys that turned it into Avid, which is the world's leading editing platform.

He later created Pixar and sold it to his friend Steve Jobs for a mere $10 million. His advice, guidance and vision has played a huge role for too many filmmakers to count and inspired generations of filmmakers.

The Wachowski's made one film that was awesome but plagiarized and have since followed it up with nonsensical garbage.

I have no idea why WB continues to give them insane amounts of money to make films??

But its not my money......

DaneMcCloud 01-29-2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 11299408)
I have no idea why WB continues to give them insane amounts of money to make films??

But its not my money......

Well, it's a couple of things, actually.

The Wachowski's are producing their films, which means they're putting up funding. So while Cloud Atlas made $130 million worldwide on a $102 million dollar budget and thus, likely broke even after marketing, there's still DVD sales, rentals and premium channel income. It's not a ton but it's better than not making a film.

Personally, other than the original Matrix, I'm not a fan. But regardless of my opinion, they do make money for Warner Brothers and if a movie like Jupiter Ascending ends up being a box office smash, Warner's has that in their hip pocket.

Even if it just breaks even, they can claim to have one of the biggest movies of the year, just based on budget alone.

Deberg_1990 01-29-2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11299423)
Well, it's a couple of things, actually.

The Wachowski's are producing their films, which means they're putting up funding. So while Cloud Atlas made $130 million worldwide on a $102 million dollar budget and thus, likely broke even after marketing, there's still DVD sales, rentals and premium channel income. It's not a ton but it's better than not making a film.

Personally, other than the original Matrix, I'm not a fan. But regardless of my opinion, they do make money for Warner Brothers and if a movie like Jupiter Ascending ends up being a box office smash, Warner's has that in their hip pocket.

Even if it just breaks even, they can claim to have one of the biggest movies of the year, just based on budget alone.

Pretty much how I feel about them. Loved the original Matrix. It was fresh at the time and had a great story and action.

Everything else I'm pretty 'meh' about. I think they have become too weird and quirky for mainstream audiences. Which normally is fine, but I find their films besides the original Matrix boring and dry.

keg in kc 01-29-2015 07:44 PM

The idea looks great, like something I'd love, but good movies don't get released on February 6th.

DaveNull 01-29-2015 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11299383)

You forgot Howard the Duck.

Baby Lee 01-29-2015 10:22 PM

May as well see the extended trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qqTs0nvrMUA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 01-29-2015 11:11 PM

That's the same one I posted when I dug the thread back up yesterday isn't it?

Baby Lee 01-29-2015 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11299780)
That's the same one I posted when I dug the thread back up yesterday isn't it?

Heh, I guess. Didn't scroll up far enough.

DaneMcCloud 01-30-2015 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11299731)
May as well see the extended trailer

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qqTs0nvrMUA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Wow, this looks really...mediocre

listopencil 01-30-2015 12:26 AM

I enjoyed the original Matrix and Cloud Atlas. I can't think of any other one of their movies that I enjoyed. There is nothing at all in this trailer that interests me.