ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Folks, explain to me what is this 5 year plan? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=100372)

bricks 10-04-2004 12:23 PM

Folks, explain to me what is this 5 year plan?

I keep hearing it and I am tired of it. Sorry. And most people put it in reference to Carl. I haven't been a Chiefs fan long enough to know what this means. I can recall, a time when I read a column from Gretz' mailbag, and a fan discussed about Carl Peterson's 5-year plan to build the Kansas City chiefs organization. And Gretz' defended Carl, I can't remember exactly what Gretz said word for word, but from what I remember he said something like, and I'm not making this up, Carl didn't say he had intended to put a 5-year plan in place to build the Chiefs and take them to the bowl and win it all. All he said was it takes approximately 5 years to build a good team in place to contend for a Superbowl. Then he added, by saying, I have the tapes of the press conference the first day Carl was hired as GM of the Chiefs, just to prove it to you. Is Gretz right? What is this whole thing about? Curious.

King_Chief_Fan 10-04-2004 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks
I keep hearing it and I am tired of it. Sorry. And most people put it in reference to Carl. I haven't been a Chiefs fan long enough to know what this means. I can recall, a time when I read a column from Gretz' mailbag, and a fan discussed about Carl Peterson's 5-year plan to build the Kansas City chiefs organization. And Gretz' defended Carl, I can't remember exactly what Gretz said word for word, but from what I remember he said something like, and I'm not making this up, Carl didn't say he had intended to put a 5-year plan in place to build the Chiefs and take them to the bowl and win it all. All he said was it takes approximately 5 years to build a good team in place to contend for a Superbowl. Then he added, by saying, I have the tapes of the press conference the first day Carl was hired as GM of the Chiefs, just to prove it to you. Is Gretz right? What is this whole thing about? Curious.

Not sure what he meant, and it is easy to spin it different as I think Gretz has done.

I was one that was thinking a 5 year plan to build a team, compete in SB and win it. The plan is only 10-11 years off right now.

BigChiefFan 10-04-2004 12:37 PM

If you are tired of hearing it, why did you bring it up? LMAO. Seriously, Carl said he had a 5 year plan to the get the Chiefs to the Super Bowl when he first started in Kansas City. That was over 15 years ago, so it very relevant and will be referred to more and more, the more the Chiefs lose. Carl hasn't done near enough to get to the big dance so those that think he is full of shit will continue to refer to his FAILED 5 year plan.

malito 10-04-2004 12:46 PM

All the Superbowl talk was a advertising madison avenue sublinal brainwashing ploy to get the KC fans fired up and it worked. 90 straight sellouts and multimillions in cash for tickets and merchandise. I read in the Star Marty talking about the Chiefs where ready to go to the Superbowl in 1990 or 1991. The five year plan was something made up to get Carl and Marty off the hook for saying they were going as early as the 1990 or 1991 season. Interestingly enough Marty used this same ploy in Washington and San Diego which proves he's gone nuts.

BigRedChief 10-04-2004 01:05 PM

there have been threads in the past from Carl defenders that have suggested theat their never was an official 5 year plan. But then the quotes from Marty and Carl in the paper about a five year plan dug out of the archives kind of shut up that argument.

16 years later.
2 playoff wins
not able to draft a WR, QB or RB that is any good
Besides Priest unable to aquire inpact free agents all this = failure