ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Appropriate Halloween Costume? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266020)

crazycoffey 11-01-2012 10:35 AM

Appropriate Halloween Costume?

What says you Planeteers? It's halloween and this is how someone I know let their 13 year old dress up to go trick or treating. I personally don't like it, but understand freedom of expression, however this young man is 13 years old.

Would you let it be or try to talk him out of it, how and why?

ModSocks 11-01-2012 10:37 AM

That's it? Really?

REALLY?

I think it's hilarious and he coulda been something far worse im sure.

gblowfish 11-01-2012 10:39 AM

It's unbelievably inappropriate. That's what makes it great for Halloween.

tooge 11-01-2012 10:40 AM

It's totally inappropriate. There should be a bullet hole in the forehead to make it appropriate

crazycoffey 11-01-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9071142)
It's unbelievably inappropriate. That's what makes it great for Halloween.

sure, if he was 18 or older. But a 13 year old kid?

L.A. Chieffan 11-01-2012 10:44 AM

Is that The Dude?

King_Chief_Fan 11-01-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9071132)
What says you Planeteers? It's halloween and this is how someone I know let their 13 year old dress up to go trick or treating. I personally don't like it, but understand freedom of expression, however this young man is 13 years old.

maybe if he was impersonating a dead terrorist....

ModSocks 11-01-2012 10:45 AM

Just out of curiosity, what would you consider an appropriate costume for a pre-teen boy? Particularly a costume that the boy would actually WANT to wear?

I mean, what's the difference between dressing up as a terrorist vs dressing up as a serial killer? At least the terrorist is funny and somewhat original for a kid.

luv 11-01-2012 10:46 AM

Not for a 13 year old, IMO.

KCUnited 11-01-2012 10:46 AM

I bet hezbollah candy was overflowing after trick r treating in that costume.

L.A. Chieffan 11-01-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9071168)
Just out of curiosity, what would you consider an appropriate costume for a pre-teen boy? Particularly a costume that the boy would actually WANT to wear?

I mean, what's the difference between dressing up as a terrorist vs dressing up as a serial killer? At least the terrorist is funny and somewhat original for a kid.

Do you know what Ed Gein said about dressing up like a terrorist for Halloween?

alpha_omega 11-01-2012 10:48 AM

No, i don't like it.

Here's another...
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertai...oween-costume/

suds79 11-01-2012 10:48 AM

For a kid? Nope.

For an adult? Sure I guess. I wouldn't do it but whatever floats your boat.

ModSocks 11-01-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9071159)
sure, if he was 18 or older. But a 13 year old kid?

As in...about to start HS. This is when these kids start to develop this kind of sense of humor.

@ 18 years people are dressing up far more "inappropriate" than this.

bevischief 11-01-2012 10:50 AM

why not?

ModSocks 11-01-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9071173)
Not for a 13 year old, IMO.

I dont get it.

What's inappropriate about it?

It's not like the kid is dressed up as giant dick or something.

crazycoffey 11-01-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9071168)

One of my points was, a zombie, vampire, ghost, or other fictional character didn't actually kill anyone, and much better ideas. And the bomber terrorist costumes have been on the top ten offensive list for a few years now, along with hitler and dead JFK and black face anyone. So, not really original either.

loochy 11-01-2012 10:53 AM

I think it's funny but all of the whiney sensitive people will bitch and moan and all of the dirkas will bitch and moan

tooge 11-01-2012 10:54 AM

Pirates killed lots of people, still see alot of those.

crazycoffey 11-01-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9071174)
I bet hezbollah candy was overflowing after trick r treating in that costume.

I LOL'ed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9071186)

As in...about to start HS. This is when these kids start to develop this kind of sense of humor.

@ 18 years people are dressing up far more "inappropriate" than this.

I know, that's my point. 13 and pregnant equals parents responsible, 13 and stealing equals parents responsible. That all changes when you turn 18. I feel similar about this costume. If he was 18, I could disagree but not have a say, as a responsible adult in his young life, I feel an important lesson should be taught about this choice.

crazycoffey 11-01-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9071210)
Pirates killed lots of people, still see alot of those.

name someone you knew, when did a pirate try to kill you or friends of yours?

ModSocks 11-01-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9071198)
One of my points was, a zombie, vampire, ghost, or other fictional character didn't actually kill anyone, and much better ideas. And the bomber terrorist costumes have been on the top ten offensive list for a few years now, along with hitler and dead JFK and black face anyone. So, not really original either.

13 year old pre teen boys are far more interested in being something funny. They're not interested in being something that their parents have been dressing them up as for the past 8+ years.

Ghost? Zombie? Vampire?

What is this, 1982?

We can make fun of terrorists in our cartoons, comics and in our daily lives. We can hate them, kill them, and racially profile muslims in this country yet we expect our pre-teens to not pick up on that?

The kid is wearing the costume as a satire. He's making fun of terrorists just like the rest of the world is.

Bowser 11-01-2012 10:58 AM

Meh.

Inappropriate if he went to a church lock in Halloween party, I suppose.

ModSocks 11-01-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9071211)
I LOL'ed

I know, that's my point. 13 and pregnant equals parents responsible, 13 and stealing equals parents responsible. That all changes when you turn 18. I feel similar about this costume. If he was 18, I could disagree but not have a say, as a responsible adult in his young life, I feel an important lesson should be taught about this choice.

What is the lesson?

That it's ok to dress up as a blood bathed serial killer running around with a hockey mask and a knife, but not ok to strap fake dynamite to your chest and wear a beard?

tooge 11-01-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9071215)

that Connor guy. The world champion sailor. He was killed by Pirates several years ago. I didn't know him personally tho and I don't know anyone that was killed by a arab either.

luv 11-01-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9071224)
13 year old pre teen boys are far more interested in being something funny. They're not interested in being something that their parents have been dressing them up as for the past 8+ years.

Ghost? Zombie? Vampire?

What is this, 1982?

We can make fun of terrorists in our cartoons, comics and in our daily lives. We can hate them, kill them, and racially profile muslims in this country yet we expect our pre-teens to not pick up on that?

The kid is wearing the costume as a satire. He's making fun of terrorists just like the rest of the world is.

He's 13, you think he knows what satire is? I'm curious as to whose idea the costume was.

crazycoffey 11-01-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9071177)
Do you know what Ed Gein said about dressing up like a terrorist for Halloween?

what, "dig up Bin Laden and put on his face for a more realistic costume"

crazycoffey 11-01-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9071235)
that Connor guy. The world champion sailor. He was killed by Pirates several years ago. I didn't know him personally tho and I don't know anyone that was killed by a arab either.

I know too many.

ModSocks 11-01-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9071238)
He's 13, you think he knows what satire is? I'm curious as to whose idea the costume was.

Are you kidding me?

You REALLY underestimate 13 year old's. He's 1 year away from starting HS, if he doesn't know what a satire is then his school system has failed him.

blaise 11-01-2012 11:04 AM

It doesn't bother me. It might bother some Jewish families, I bet.

ModSocks 11-01-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9071242)
I know too many.

And im sure there are people out there who've lost loved one's to knife wielding murderers too.

If you're only gripe with this is that it shouldn't be worn because YOU find it offensive, then that's not good enough.

Bowser 11-01-2012 11:06 AM

Would it have been better if the kid went as one of those two-in-one costumes where he's on the receiving end of having suprise buttsecks with a priest?

ModSocks 11-01-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9071249)
It doesn't bother me. It might bother some Jewish families, I bet.

And that's highly doubtful.

It's Halloween.

It's the one day where dressing up like something like this is perfectly acceptable.

tooge 11-01-2012 11:07 AM

hence, it is offensive to you. I guess someone dressed as a dead girl might be offensive to someone who lost their daughter, someone dressed as a guy with a knife through their head might be offensive to someone that lost a friend to a murder where they were stabbed in the head, etc. There are plenty of "offensive" costumes out there, it is all relative as to who is offended by it and why.

dmahurin 11-01-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9071215)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_18_March_2006

I was shot at, an RPG barely missed my head. Then I killed the pirates.

ModSocks 11-01-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9071257)
Would it have been better if the kid went as one of those two-in-one costumes where he's on the receiving end of having suprise buttsecks with a priest?

Seriously.

Or one of those poop costumes with a Halo on his head.

"Look ma, I'm Holy Shit!"

tooge 11-01-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9071257)

Bingo! that isn't offensive to me, its hillarious. It is probably offensive to some candlelighter that took it in the shorts though.

crazycoffey 11-01-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9071224)

Ghost? Zombie? Vampire?

What is this, 1982?

yeah, zombies and vampires are so out dated.... what ever. Hey, I agree Achmed the dead terrorist makes fun of suicide bombers, but this costume isn't, just my opinion anyway. What if he knocked on a muslim's door? I don't know. 18 or over going to a friend's party, sure - knock yourself out, be "controversial and edgy". 13 isn't the age to make a political statement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9071231)
What is the lesson?

That it's ok to dress up as a blood bathed serial killer running around with a hockey mask and a knife, but not ok to strap fake dynamite to your chest and wear a beard?

Jason is a fictional character and more outdated than zombies. Would it be ok for a 13 year old to trick-or-treat as hitler? A Nazi with a burnt up jew in a trash bag? Put on black face and be a zombie MLK?

R8RFAN 11-01-2012 11:08 AM

As long as he is not trying to board a bus in Israel he should be ok.

blaise 11-01-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9071258)
And that's highly doubtful.

It's Halloween.

It's the one day wear dressing up like something like this is perfectly acceptable.

Like I said, it doesn't bother me. But it wouldn't surprise me if someone answered a door and said something negative to the kid either.
I mean, he's wearing it for a reaction, I assume. So if he gets a negative reaction then that's part of it.

crazycoffey 11-01-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9071256)
And im sure there are people out there who've lost loved one's to knife wielding murderers too.

If you're only gripe with this is that it shouldn't be worn because YOU find it offensive, then that's not good enough.

he's my son. and my ex-wife dressed him up this way. Does that make it good enough?

suds79 11-01-2012 11:10 AM

Feel like I should clarify because earlier I said "No. Not for a kid"

What I really meant is I wouldn't want my kid wearing it.

Am I offended? No. But I'll let someone else's 13 year old kid wear it.

blaise 11-01-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9071273)
Feel like I should clarify because earlier I said "No. Not for a kid"

What I really meant is I wouldn't want my kid wearing it.

Am I offended? No. But I'll let someone else's 13 year old kid wear it.

Yeah, that's what I kind of think. I would tell my kid not to wear it, but if someone else's kid is wearing it I'm not offended or anything.

ModSocks 11-01-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9071266)
yeah, zombies and vampires are so out dated.... what ever. Hey, I agree Achmed the dead terrorist makes fun of suicide bombers, but this costume isn't, just my opinion anyway. What if he knocked on a muslim's door? I don't know. 18 or over going to a friend's party, sure - knock yourself out, be "controversial and edgy". 13 isn't the age to make a political statement.

Jason is a fictional character and more outdated than zombies. Would it be ok for a 13 year old to trick-or-treat as hitler? A Nazi with a burnt up jew in a trash bag? Put on black face and be a zombie MLK?

Yes, Zombies and Vampires are dated. It's the most cliched costume available. Kids have been doing it for generations. We should take a poll to see who HASN'T been a vampire or zombie.

I gotta ask, how old are you? You sound like a grand parent.

What if he knocked on a Muslims door?

Well, he's dressed as a terrorist. Not a Muslim. Last time i checked, American Muslims don't think of themselves as terrorists and do everything they can to seperate themselves from them. So why exactly would they be offended?

You know what i was for halloween? White trash.

I had a mullet, mustard stained tee and cans of budweiser strapped to my belt.

Does that offend white people?

crazycoffey 11-01-2012 11:13 AM

maybe a better question for some of us chiefs fans, would you let your son dress up as a Raider's fan, with face paint and shoulder pads? Would you walk around your neighborhood trick-or-treating with him? LOL

crazycoffey 11-01-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9071282)
Does that offend white people?

It probably should. :Poke:

ModSocks 11-01-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9071271)
he's my son. and my ex-wife dressed him up this way. Does that make it good enough?

So then there's YOUR problem right there.

You have some close issues with people dying from terrorists and you don't want your son dressed up as one.

Dude.....That is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Woodchuck 11-01-2012 11:14 AM

It's no big deal. I actually went to a party as Bin Laden about five years ago and people loved it. If I could do it then, he can do it now.

crazycoffey 11-01-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9071290)
So then there's YOUR problem right there.

You have some close issues with people dying from terrorists and you don't want your son dressed up as one.

Dude.....That is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

I figured it was, that's why I kept that part separated at first.

Oh, and I do appreciate all the feedback, not the end of the world, just a little twisted that this happened.

Bowser 11-01-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9071287)
maybe a better question for some of us chiefs fans, would you let your son dress up as a Raider's fan, with face paint and shoulder pads? Would you walk around your neighborhood trick-or-treating with him? LOL

Jesus. I don't want him getting his ass kicked. The **** is wrong with you?

Donger 11-01-2012 11:17 AM

Are the explosives real? If so, no.

crazycoffey 11-01-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9071297)
Jesus. I don't want him getting his ass kicked. The **** is wrong with you?

ROFL

dressed as a raider fan in KC gets your ass kicked. Dressed as a suicide bomber gets laughs. what the **** is wrong with this country?

I'm smiling right now but, geeez

Bowser 11-01-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Ah, the crux of the situation.

Is the problem your kid going out like that, or that you just hate your ex and everything she does? Basically, do you think she dressed him up like that to dig on you?

ModSocks 11-01-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9071295)
I figured it was, that's why I kept that part separated at first.

Oh, and I do appreciate all the feedback, not the end of the world, just a little twisted that this happened.

Yeah man, if it's your son and terrorism is something that has affected your friends and family.....that's something completely different and you certainly have a case to make.

ModSocks 11-01-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9071302)

Is the problem your kid going out like that, or that you just hate your ex and everything she does? Basically, do you think she dressed him up like that to dig on you?

I think it's more about he doesn't want to see his son dressed up as someone who's taken the life of a friend or someone close. I can see how that can touch a nerve.

wazu 11-01-2012 11:20 AM

If it's somebody else's kid I just chuckle and move on, but I wouldn't let my own kid wear that costume.

suds79 11-01-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsponge Chuckpants (Post 9071291)
It's no big deal. I actually went to a party as Bin Laden about five years ago and people loved it. If I could do it then, he can do it now.

How old were you at this party?

Bowser 11-01-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9071307)
I think it's more about he doesn't want to see his son dressed up as someone who's taken the life of a friend or someone close. I can see how that can touch a nerve.

I can agree with that. Throw in that the ex did this, and even more pissed off-edness rises to the surface.

ChiefsPlanet Therapy Sessions are 150/hr, by the way.

crazycoffey 11-01-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9071302)

no, I know she's a good mom. I don't think she did to purposely offend me nor did he. But when I brought it up the first reactions I got were, "get a life" from her, the step dad (we really ended up getting into it) and some of their friends.

I rarely say anything about some of the parenting issues I disagree with, but I would like to think my opinion would matter a little more when I do. Again, I know at the end of the day she's a good mom and he's a good kid. But I still feel a knot in my stomach over the picture.

wazu 11-01-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9071311)

I actually don't see how age matters. If something is sexually inappropriate then age does matter, but something like this is either generally acceptable or it isn't.

Woodchuck 11-01-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9071311)

My wife did make me wear a bullseye necklace to lighten the mood. Also, it was my brother's party. If I can find a pic, I will post it. I really looked alot like him...

R8RFAN 11-01-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

I would not let my kid wear it.

Bowser 11-01-2012 11:25 AM

And the ad at the bottom of the page links you to getting a degree in counter terrorism. LMAO

suds79 11-01-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 9071321)
I actually don't see how age matters. If something is sexually inappropriate then age does matter, but something like this is either generally acceptable or it isn't.

Then outside of being sexually inappropriate then a costume is just a costume regardless of age?

So in other words if next year I want to dress up my 3 year old daughter as this it's perfectly fine?

ModSocks 11-01-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9071319)
no, I know she's a good mom. I don't think she did to purposely offend me nor did he. But when I brought it up the first reactions I got were, "get a life" from her, the step dad (we really ended up getting into it) and some of their friends.

I rarely say anything about some of the parenting issues I disagree with, but I would like to think my opinion would matter a little more when I do. Again, I know at the end of the day she's a good mom and he's a good kid. But I still feel a knot in my stomach over the picture.

To each his own. But i can assure you, if it makes you feel any better, your son was out there last night making a lot of people laugh.

suds79 11-01-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsponge Chuckpants (Post 9071323)

exactly my point. Big difference.

loochy 11-01-2012 11:27 AM

This thread title is misleading. I expected some kind of slutty costume, not a little kid in a dirka suit.

ModSocks 11-01-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9071328)
Then outside of being sexually inappropriate then a costume is just a costume regardless of age?

So in other words if next year I want to dress up my 3 year old daughter as this it's perfectly fine?

3 does not = 13.

He is 13. He is technically a teenager.

Is this appropriate for a teenager?

You're damn right it is.

This is the type of shit that teenagers wear.

ModSocks 11-01-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9071331)
exactly my point. Big difference.

He's a terrorist. He's not dressed as a Sandusky Kid ffs

Bowser 11-01-2012 11:29 AM

And I screwed up my vote. CLicked no on mistake.

Valiant 11-01-2012 11:30 AM

God, pc pussies crying about that? Do they emit the same outrage over dressing up as military members? They kill people too. Do they bitch about the video games they buy the same 13yo?

If the kid is old enough to understand why it is humorous/ironic for halloween he is old enough to wear it. Just think 30years ago kids dressing up as kiss got similar outrage.

suds79 11-01-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9071334)
3 does not = 13.

He is 13. He is technically a teenager.

Is this appropriate for a teenager?

You're damn right it is.

This is the type of shit that teenager's wear.

So you would agree with me that there is a difference in age. We're on the same page then. My point was to that poster who was saying age doesn't matter. I disagreed.

I'm not arguing that it's inappropriate. I've made my case that I simply would not let my 13 year old kid wear it. If you would? Fine.

crazycoffey 11-01-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 9071342)
God, pc pussies crying about that? Do they emit the same outrage over dressing up as military members? They kill people too. Do they bitch about the video games they buy the same 13yo?

If the kid is old enough to understand why it is humorous/ironic for halloween he is old enough to wear it. Just think 30years ago kids dressing up as kiss got similar outrage.

but none of the kids dress up as komikaze pilots 30 years ago either.

ModSocks 11-01-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9071350)
but none of the kids dress up as komikaze pilots 30 years ago either.

Times have changed. You gotta adjust.

The_Doctor10 11-01-2012 11:36 AM

General consensus seems to be okayish for grown ups, not so for 13. I'd agree. Kids are assholes enough as it is, surely they can stand Batman or Wolverine for another few years. Once you get to college and take an intro-level religious studies course, then you'll be sensitive enough and wise to the world to break out that costume. Surely.

cosmo20002 11-01-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9071132)

Tricky to say what is or isn't "appropriate," but I'd say it is a very safe bet that the kid who wants to wear that is going to grow up to be a d-bag a-hole.

cosmo20002 11-01-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 9071342)

So, you're equating dressing up as what appears to be a Middle East Islamic suicide bomber with dressing up as:

1. US military
2. Gene Simmons

OK, good post.

ModSocks 11-01-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9071358)
Tricky to say what is or isn't "appropriate," but I'd say it is a very safe bet that the kid who wants to wear that is going to grow up to be a d-bag a-hole.

:rolleyes:

Predarat 11-01-2012 11:58 AM

Give 'em an extra milky way for that.

crazycoffey 11-01-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 9071396)
Give 'em an extra milky way for that.

That sounds catholic priesty of you....