ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFT:Is there a plumber in the house? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=134421)

Archie F. Swin 01-23-2006 10:29 AM

NFT:Is there a plumber in the house?

I have a toilet question

ahem....

I installed my new toilet about 2 months ago, and up until recently it was working like a champ. Now, 9 times out of 10 the the fill valve doesn't engage after a flush. Being a modern toilet, the float is seemingly part of the ballcock. In other words there's no big balloon-like float that reaches 2/3rds across the tank. Its all one compact unit. Is there something I can do to get the tank to fill after a flush? Could this be some kind of water-pressure or vaccuum problem?

Boon 01-23-2006 10:33 AM

There is a plummer in dungver.
But he ain't working like a champ!

Phobia 01-23-2006 10:33 AM

On some of those newer units they've agressively used tiny gaskets to create a seal. Those gaskets can easily become dislodged. I'd visually inspect the action down there to see what's happening.
In fact, turn off your water and depress the flusher several times. Everything should work smoothly and all the seals should be tight. I'm pretty confident you'll be able to see the problem if you scrutinize it with an empty tank.

Skip Towne 01-23-2006 10:33 AM

Not a poop thread but it's pretty close.

Inspector 01-23-2006 10:41 AM

Could be the water is in a dense cycle where it now weighs quite a bit more obscuring your float tolerances.

Alright, alright...I'm just kidding. I think Phobia has given you the best advice. CLose examination should reveal the problem.

Baby Lee 01-23-2006 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Since the fill valve will occasionally open and fill the tank, I'd rule out a lack of pressure.
Most likely, the engagement lever is sticking. The lever on top of the unity that is attached by a rod to the integrated float. Make sure that the float has free vertical travel, that the water level and the position of the float attached to the lever as synch up to engage the lever when the level in the reservior drops, and that the lever isn't hanging

Archie F. Swin 01-23-2006 10:57 AM

Is it simply gravity that's causes the lever/float to drop? The level is good and there's free travel, but the float doesn't drop when the tank empties.

Iowanian 01-23-2006 10:59 AM

I've got 2 simple places I'd look.

1. I agree with phildo and would check the gasket to see if it came loose and is blocking it, and also the function of the float

2. If you put a disc of bleach in the tank, when they get partially disolved, sometimes the remaining sliver can get sucked into the hole or under the flapper.

Baby Lee 01-23-2006 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin
Is it simply gravity that's causes the lever/float to drop? The level is good and there's free travel, but the float doesn't drop when the tank empties.

That's your problem. One of two causes. Either the float isn't traveling free vertically, or the lever is sticking and holding the float up. Since you say the float has free travel, I'd check the amount of resistance the lever has to movement. Jiggle it and see if it frees itself some. If it's the lever, I'd just take it back and get a new unit. It should still be in warranty on the internals.