ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs FA Backup QB's for this upcoming offseason (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=304511)

Dante84 12-17-2016 12:05 AM

FA Backup QB's for this upcoming offseason

• Foles is clearly way to expensive to keep.
  • Bray has yet to prove he can be a reliable NFL backup.
  • I doubt we put a rookie in the backup spot - clearly
    QB2 is a position that Dorsey/Reid value highly (see: Daniel & Foles).

Taking all this into account, and assuming the above all transpires, who are some of the Free Agent QB's that we could put behind Smith next year?
___

2/15/17 UPDATE: Per Rotoworld, Chiefs are not expected to pick up Foles $6.4m option.

Furthermore, the Chiefs FO has continued to pound the drum that Alex Smith will be starting this upcoming season.

chiefs1111 12-17-2016 12:15 AM

Shane Falco

Simply Red 12-17-2016 12:22 AM

who's Daniels?

Buehler445 12-17-2016 12:35 AM

I know he won't stay, but some teams have found solutions at QB.

Mariota
Winston
Dak
Wentz
Goff-looks bad but they're not going to guarantee a start to Foles

That's almost 20% of the league that has fixed their QB problems in 2 years

He'll get a gig but the market may be softening on those guys.

chiefzilla1501 12-17-2016 12:42 AM

I'm guessing the Chiefs will turn that into a signing bonus. $11M spread over 3 years is a fair price for a backup of Foles' calibre.

Easy 6 12-17-2016 01:08 AM

Bums, every damn one of them... keep Foles and look to improve everywhere else

ChiefsLV 12-17-2016 01:16 AM

Foles could agree to a smaller deal to stay.

BossChief 12-17-2016 12:17 PM

They need to invest into the position high in the draft.

This team has TONS of young talent that's not going to stay cheap forever...to keep them together for as long as possible, they need to be able to get a QB on the cheap for 5 years, not continue to overspend on the position.

Dunerdr 12-17-2016 12:37 PM

I think the restructure foles, giving him the idea that Alex is winding down he's had time in the system, and the job could become his. All the while dorsey looking for a quarterback in the draft.

Hoover 12-17-2016 12:42 PM

We would be fools not to invest in Foles. He's not going to get starter money but he can be a well paid back up. I also think he knows Kansas City might be the best place for him. Let's not forget Alex is in his early thirties. We also need to invest a high draft pick in the position.

chiefzilla1501 12-17-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 12622667)
I think the restructure foles, giving him the idea that Alex is winding down he's had time in the system, and the job could become his. All the while dorsey looking for a quarterback in the draft.

Yup. And not just any QB. A first round QB unless there's a really, really good reason not to.

Sandy Vagina 12-17-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 12622674)
We would be fools not to invest in Foles. He's not going to get starter money but he can be a well paid back up. I also think he knows Kansas City might be the best place for him. Let's not forget Alex is in his early thirties. We also need to invest a high draft pick in the position.

Good with keeping Foles here as high paid backup, but do people really think a desperate team like SF won't throw crazy money up for a QB like Foles?

Hoover 12-17-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 12622675)
Yup. And not just any QB. A first round QB unless there's a really, really good reason not to.

It doesn't have to be a first rounder. Now if the right guy is there and the board says QB by all means pull the trigger. I just think you always take the best talent in the first round and don't blink an eye

Hoover 12-17-2016 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Cheeks (Post 12622682)
Good with keeping Foles here as high paid backup, but do people really think a desperate team like SF won't throw crazy money up for a QB like Foles?

Hey if they do great and we get a good comp pick. He's a want not a need. You don't break the bank on the position

chiefzilla1501 12-17-2016 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 12622683)
It doesn't have to be a first rounder. Now if the right guy is there and the board says QB by all means pull the trigger. I just think you always take the best talent in the first round and don't blink an eye

At Alex's age, I would do it. I would overdraft a QB every year if it meant making sure we were continually giving talented guys a tryout. I believe in going with top of board. But QB is the rare position where i'd put the guy a few points higher if he had even a little bit of potential.