ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money Taking online prices to brick and mortar shop (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270646)

Jenson71 03-02-2013 01:04 PM

Taking online prices to brick and mortar shop

I'm interested in knowing your thoughts on a consumer who is buying a big ticket item (e.g., a boat, an engagement ring, a home theater system), and first does research online to come up with a model and price, and then takes that information to a local, independent store to ask them if they would like to match that.

Is this appropriate? I'm going to be purchasing something soon, and I'd like to do this. On one hand, I know I can find a good price and product online, but on the other hand, I would like to support a local business.

I'm worried this might come off as rude, though, or appear like a cheapskate or too demanding.

Mr. Flopnuts 03-02-2013 01:05 PM

Who cares how it comes off? I'd tell them exactly what you've told us, and that you'd like to support local, but not at the expense of throwing money away. They can make a choice from there.

58-4ever 03-02-2013 01:05 PM

Not if you approach it the right way. Tell them that you really want to keep your money local and would like to give them a chance to win the business.

Jenson71 03-02-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9457019)
Who cares how it comes off? I'd tell them exactly what you've told us, and that you'd like to support local, but not at the expense of throwing money away. They can make a choice from there.

I care how I come off because I want to build a positive relationship with the store/community.

Should I come in with my research and price and just lay it in front of them?

mlyonsd 03-02-2013 01:08 PM

Unless the local business is owned by your in-law's who cares?

redsurfer11 03-02-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La literatura (Post 9457017)
I'm interested in knowing your thoughts on a consumer who is buying a big ticket item (e.g., a boat, an engagement ring, a home theater system), and first does research online to come up with a model and price, and then takes that information to a local, independent store to ask them if they would like to match that.

Is this appropriate? I'm going to be purchasing something soon, and I'd like to do this. On one hand, I know I can find a good price and product online, but on the other hand, I would like to support a local business.

I'm worried this might come off as rude, though, or appear like a cheapskate or too demanding.

If you want to buy an engagement ring online. I have a bridge I can sell you.

Mr. Flopnuts 03-02-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La literatura (Post 9457027)
I care how I come off because I want to build a positive relationship with the store/community.

Should I come in with my research and price and just lay it in front of them?

I think I understand where you're coming from. Expect them to do the same regarding your rates should they ever need your services. Either pay their price, or buy it elsewhere.

Jenson71 03-02-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsurfer11 (Post 9457037)
If you want to buy an engagement ring online. I have a bridge I can sell you.

Bad experience to share?

Jenson71 03-02-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9457038)
I think I understand where you're coming from. Expect them to do the same regarding your rates should they ever need your services. Either pay their price, or buy it elsewhere.

I actually do expect this in future encounters to me. For instance, with LegalZoom, you can set up your own will for about $70. I need (and have) good reasons why I should cost double that.

But, for a product, it's a bit different, because whereas the legal industry is about service and adaptability and answer questions (and liability insurance for malpractice), the product is the product no matter where you get it.

Mr. Flopnuts 03-02-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La literatura (Post 9457047)
I actually do expect this in future encounters to me. For instance, with LegalZoom, you can set up your own will for about $70. I need (and have) good reasons why I should cost double that.

But, for a product, it's a bit different, because whereas the legal industry is about service and adaptability and answer questions (and liability insurance for malpractice), the product is the product no matter where you get it.

But should something happen with the product, what kind of service will you receive from an online store? How much hassle would there be regarding a return? How much longer would you have to wait to receive it, and if you do need to return, how much longer until you receive a new one? This goes both ways. Local business is going to give you better service, and take better care of you. Just as you will with someone over LegalZoom.

Stewie 03-02-2013 01:18 PM

I do this with contact lenses. My optometrist is happy to beat the best online price. My lenses are some of the most expensive and the online price beats her normal price by 60%. She obviously makes a killing on people that don't shop around.

Jenson71 03-02-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9457052)
But should something happen with the product, what kind of service will you receive from an online store? How much hassle would there be regarding a return? How much longer would you have to wait to receive it, and if you do need to return, how much longer until you receive a new one? This goes both ways. Local business is going to give you better service, and take better care of you. Just as you will with someone over LegalZoom.

All very good points to consider. It's another reason why I prefer local business (as well as the building relationships/community aspect).

It's also why I wouldn't mind paying a slightly higher price locally. But like you said, "not throwing money away."

TribalElder 03-02-2013 01:21 PM

I tried to get barnes and noble to price match their own website at the town center location and they refused to sell me the book at the online price.

pricks.

good luck though

Mr. Flopnuts 03-02-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La literatura (Post 9457057)
All very good points to consider. It's another reason why I prefer local business (as well as the building relationships/community aspect).

It's also why I wouldn't mind paying a slightly higher price locally. But like you said, "not throwing money away."

Yeah, I just think you should really examine what that point is because if not presented perfectly you'll just look like another asshole lawyer. I wouldn't go near it over a hundred bucks or two, but if it was much higher than that I would just buy it somewhere else. I wouldn't even try to haggle too much. I don't see how you can win this to be honest. Morally you're in the right place, but you gain to lose more than money here.

Jenson71 03-02-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9457064)
I tried to get barnes and noble to price match their own website at the town center location and they refused to sell me the book at the online price.

pricks.

good luck though

Well, there's no doubt store-wide policy that doesn't allow for much flexibility. I figure with an independent local store, there is more.