ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Owners of Toyota Cars in Rebellion Over Accidents Caused by Sudden acceleration. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=217516)

HemiEd 11-04-2009 11:44 AM

Owners of Toyota Cars in Rebellion Over Accidents Caused by Sudden acceleration.

Owners of Toyota Cars in Rebellion Over Series of Accidents Caused by Sudden Acceleration

Anyone else been following this story? They had a pretty graphic show on nightline about it last night.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Runawa...ory?id=8980479

Refusing to accept the explanation of Toyota and the federal government, hundreds of Toyota owners are in rebellion after a series of accidents caused by what they call "runaway cars."

Department of Transportation: underlying defect causes accelerators to stick.

More PhotosSafety analysts found an estimated 2000 cases in which owners of Toyota cars including Camry, Prius and Lexus, reported that their cars surged without warning up to speeds of 100 miles per hour.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE OF THE RUNAWAY TOYOTAS STORY.

Toyota says the incidents are caused by floor mats becoming stuck under gas pedals, but owners say that's not what happened to them.

Watch the full report tonight on 'World News with Charles Gibson' and 'Nightline'.

"I'm absolutely certain that in my situation, it was not the floor mats," Elizabeth James told ABC News. She was driving her Toyota Prius outside Denver, CO when she says it suddenly shot up to 90 miles an hour, even though her foot was on the brake and not the gas pedal.

"I kept going faster and faster," James said. "And all of a sudden… my foot was pressing on the brake super, super hard and I wasn't slowing down."

James and some other Toyota owners suspect the accidents have been caused by some kind of glitch in the electronic computer system used in Toyotas that controls the throttle.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...at-recall.html

blaise 11-04-2009 11:48 AM

I've read about this a few months ago. Back then it seemed like they were saying it was in the Lexus line, but I guess it's broader than that. You need to put the car in neutral if it happens, although I'm sure people panic and just stomp the break until it just burns out.

OnTheWarpath15 11-04-2009 11:52 AM

Put car in neutral.

Brake to a safe stop.

Get car towed to dealership.

Crisis averted.

ModSocks 11-04-2009 12:01 PM

Should've bought a GM

MoreLemonPledge 11-04-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6232806)
Put car in neutral.

Brake to a safe stop.

Crisis averted.

This. It's definitely a problem that it's happening, but any rational person would do this.

AZChief 11-04-2009 12:13 PM

...also on Lexus' with a keyless push button starter. Just hold the button down for 3 seconds and it kills the engine...

wild1 11-04-2009 12:13 PM

Put it in neutral? Turn the key off?

BY1401 11-04-2009 12:30 PM

Toyota defects>>>>>American car defects

ModSocks 11-04-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild1 (Post 6232861)
Put it in neutral? Turn the key off?

Yes, but we must remember that, in general, a lot of these owners, especially females, buy cars like Toyotas because they don't want to deal with car issues because they don't understand cars very well.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these owners don't know that they could put the car in neutral while it's in motion. And i doubt that they know that holding the push button start would kill the motor.

Dartgod 11-04-2009 12:42 PM

Turning off the engine at high speed is not such a good idea. You would immediately lose power steering and brakes.

kchero 11-04-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 6232827)
Should've bought a GM

The car won't start.... crisis avoided.

HemiEd 11-04-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6232806)
Put car in neutral.

Brake to a safe stop.

Crisis averted.

That is the teaching lesson they showed on the program last night. The sound of that motor "winding in the trees" unloaded, sounded like finger nails on a chalkboard, to me. I would insist on a new engine if it happened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 6232827)
Should've bought a GM

If GM had this problem, it would be ran non-stop on every channel and news print.
They pointed out, that Toyota had a service bulletin on this issue back in 2003ish, to their dealers.
When the industry started moving to "drive by wire" a few years ago, it didn't sit well with me, for this very reason. You are totally dependent on electronics to do their job, since there is no mechanical connection.

Brock 11-04-2009 12:51 PM

GM did recall 1.5 million cars in 2004 for accelerator sticking issues. It wasn't run non-stop on every channel and news print.

HemiEd 11-04-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 6232980)
GM did recall 1.5 million cars in 2004 for accelerator sticking issues. It wasn't run non-stop on every channel and news print.

Did anyone get killed? Did GM pass it off as ill fitting floor mats?

Demonpenz 11-04-2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 6233000)
Did anyone get killed? Did GM pass it off as ill fitting floor mats?

naaa, they passed it off as just being GM