ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Simple AC tips to help keep your cool this summer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=247485)

Bugeater 07-23-2011 09:09 AM

Simple AC tips to help keep your cool this summer

Rain Man 07-23-2011 09:17 AM

I don't have an air conditioner, but I will apply these same principles to my room fans. Thanks!

Bugeater 07-23-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7765727)
I don't have an air conditioner, but I will apply these same principles to my room fans. Thanks!

Oh yeah, that reminds me. Another simple tip is to move to a cooler, drier climate.

LiveSteam 07-23-2011 09:20 AM

Or buy 7 window units like Saylors mom did.
I cant even imagine,what it must cost to try & cool that old house.

Donger 07-23-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7765727)

LMAO

I wouldn't think that shutting of the supply vents to unused rooms would cause any issues. I would think that the volume of air that the fan pushes is what it is, and that closing off supply vents would simply allow that air to be pushed to the vents that are open.

Am I wrong?

Donger 07-23-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7765730)
Oh yeah, that reminds me. Another simple tip is to move to a cooler, drier climate.

It'll get to the high 90s here in Denver today, but yeah, it's at 10% humidity.

Bugeater 07-23-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 7765733)
LMAO

I wouldn't think that shutting of the supply vents to unused rooms would cause any issues. I would think that the volume of air that the fan pushes is what it is, and that closing off supply vents would simply allow that air to be pushed to the vents that are open.

Am I wrong?

That's what I always thought as well, but I was told by several people who are a hell of a lot smarter than me that it's not the case.

Ace Gunner 07-23-2011 09:28 AM

great thread and thank you for the tips!

Rain Man 07-23-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7765741)
That's what I always thought as well, but I was told by several people who are a hell of a lot smarter than me that it's not the case.

That's surprising.

Time's Yours 07-23-2011 09:39 AM

What if you have 2 a/c units, one for upstairs and one for downstairs? I've heard all kinds of different advice on running one or both. Some say set both to same temp always; some say run only upstairs and let the cooler air drop to downstairs; and some say run the downstairs unit when you're downstairs and upstairs unit when you're upstairs.

Simply Red 07-23-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfootballfan (Post 7765742)
great thread and thank you for the tips!

YOU'RE WELCOME, champ!

Bugeater 07-23-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7765751)
That's surprising.

Yes, it is. The way it was explained to me is your fan can only move x amount of air through whatever size your duct is, and the only way to move more air is with a more powerful fan, or a larger duct.

Bugeater 07-23-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillip (Post 7765759)
What if you have 2 a/c units, one for upstairs and one for downstairs? I've heard all kinds of different advice on running one or both. Some say set both to same temp always; some say run only upstairs and let the cooler air drop to downstairs; and some say run the downstairs unit when you're downstairs and upstairs unit when you're upstairs.

Interesting question, and one that we haven't discussed. I would never shut either of them completely down, that's for sure. IMO you should set them both at whatever temp you desire, and let 'em go. Obviously the upstairs one is always going to run more.

boogblaster 07-23-2011 09:47 AM

me ac is clean and working good .. had to replace a capasitor this year .. we clean our outside unit at least twice a year mainly because we live right on a country road and lots of farmer traffic rolls in the dust ....

Donger 07-23-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7765741)

I don't see why that would be the case, though.