ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Bills at Rams (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=5)

TheFly 08-21-2000 07:30 AM

Went to this game last Sat and thought I'd post a few observations as we'll be playing both this season.

St.L. is having as "bad" a pre-season as we are. After getting handed in the MNF game, they lost this close one, and looked bad doing so. Warner to Faulk was a mainstay and resulted in the first TD for the Rams. Issac Bruce played a good deal and made his usual exciting plays. But THE PENALTIES, oh the horror. I thought I was watching a Chiefs/Faiders game. Didn't get the final stats, but yellow was the predominant color of the evening. And the fumbles. They fumbled one diving into the endzone, less than a foot away at the pylon, reaching out. At another time, a reciever dropped the ball when someone grabbed his ankle. Not kidding, running in the open field, someone swipes his ankle and her drops the ball.

OTOH, Rob Johnson looked amazing at times. The high point was when he stepped away from nearside AND blindside pressure, runs to the right backfield, and launches 45-47 yards, on the run, to the fingertips of a deep crossing route. He had several other very impressive scrambles.

Trent Green was OK at times, and then went into a spiral of horrible play I would never expected. Multiple INTs, and every pass that wasn't an INT was a bad decision. Throwing late across the middle. deep into double coverage. He did manage a couple of quality drives that were heavily bolstered by the Bills' own penalty spree.

htismaqe 08-21-2000 08:42 AM

Johnny,

Do you mean that other teams make mistakes too?

From what usually read, I thought the Chiefs were the only team that didn't look in mid season form by now!

BTW, how did the Ram's O Line look?

Luz
maybe there's hope after all...

TheFly 08-21-2000 09:00 AM

O-Line didn't look too bad. Workmanlike, unremarkable. Of course, with the first unit in, the passes are off so fast you don't get a long look at the O-Line.

The problem for them was the traditional downfall of an unsuccessful team.

Say it along with me, penalties and turnovers.

However I wish them no ill, and am sure they will work hard to correct this by hte regular season. If not, it will be a long season, perhaps as long as Atlanta's and Denver's were last year [wink, wink].

Number one lesson from this preseason/exhibition experience, Rob Johnson has capabilities. Only the regular season will tell if he uses those capabilities like Jeff George or John Elway, but he demonstrated the ability to hang with either.

Bob Dole 08-21-2000 09:36 AM

JC,
Thanks for the scouting report. Did Buffalo have alot of errors also, or just the Rams? This kind of puts the Chiefs probs in perspective doesn't it?

What do you think of Cloud and the rookie RB's so far? Have you been able to see any of the chiefs games?

Dev
~still trying get used to you posting at normal times!!

TheFly 08-21-2000 10:07 AM

First - Devin, I'm JC-Johnny. I think you may be thinking I'm KC-Johnny. While I blush a bit at the comparison, we are in fact different people. The JC is 'cuz I live in Jefferson City.

Second - Yes, the second half in particular was ugly for the Bills. They had one defensive series where the yardage appeared to be 60% penalties and 40% the offense actually moving the ball. Their defense didn't look as dominating as last year, even when they weren't commiting penalties.

Third - Although I think you mean to get KC-Johnny's input. I have seen all the pre-season games [except, obviously, the last one - which on its way via mail from family in KC] and I have liked the looks of the RB corps.