ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   It continues... Olathe approves smoking ban (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=145705)

Fire Me Boy! 08-16-2006 09:36 AM

It continues... Olathe approves smoking ban

Olathe approves smoking ban

OLATHE, Kan. (AP) -- The Olathe City Council has voted to ban smoking in most enclosed public places.

The ban approved last night exempts private for-profit clubs and fraternal organizations.

The council did not set a start date, although council members said they were considering having the ban take effect in mid-November. It will cover more than 200 restaurants.

The vote bans smoking in one of Kansas City's largest suburbs, following a trend begun two years ago when Lawrence banned smoking in public areas. Kansas City's smoking ban will not apply to bars and restaurants until 85 percent of the region's population is covered by a ban.

Only Mission Woods, Roeland Park and Fairway in Johnson County, Kansas, have passed similar bans. An Overland Park city council committee will discuss the issue next week month.

morphius 08-16-2006 09:39 AM

It is only a matter of time.

Rain Man 08-16-2006 09:42 AM

You want to hear something ironic? I was walking home last night, and there are some bars and restaurants with outdoor seating on my path. All of the smokers were outside, and the sidewalk area reeked of tobacco. I found myself wishing that they would go back inside and smoke there.

Fire Me Boy! 08-16-2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
You want to hear something ironic? I was walking home last night, and there are some bars and restaurants with outdoor seating on my path. All of the smokers were outside, and the sidewalk area reeked of tobacco. I found myself wishing that they would go back inside and smoke there.

It's like raaaaa-eee-aaaaaaain on your wedding day.

DMAC 08-16-2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!
It's like raaaaa-eee-aaaaaaain on your wedding day.

ROFLROFL

DMAC 08-16-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC
ROFLROFL

It's not funny anymore...YOu got that stupid song stuck in my head!!!

Fire Me Boy! 08-16-2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC
It's not funny anymore...YOu got that stupid song stuck in my head!!!

ROFL

You wanna neg rep me to negate the rep you just gave me?

InChiefsHeaven 08-16-2006 10:10 AM

This is ridiculous. THey just passed a similar ban here in Omaha. I say, how the hell can you tell a business owner that he legally cannot permit a legal activity in his establishment?

Within 5 years all establishments in Omaha, bars, keno parlors and restaurants, will be smoke free. Why don't they just make smoking illegal and be done with it? OH, that's right...revenue...

...bastards...

DMAC 08-16-2006 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!
ROFL

You wanna neg rep me to negate the rep you just gave me?

I want to, but I will just put on some music to clash with it instead.

penguinz 08-16-2006 10:38 AM

Keep the smoking bans coming.

Eleazar 08-16-2006 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell
Why don't they just make smoking illegal and be done with it? OH, that's right...revenue...

Because then you lose the cigarette tax money.

Bob Dole 08-16-2006 10:47 AM

Bob Dole sure is glad to see that people everywhere still can't resist the urge to impose their will (via government) on the owners of private businesses.

Bob Dole can't wait for the day where we start putting individual's BMI on their identification cards so we can ban the sale of high calorie foods to the obese.

You know...since all of this is for the public good and helps control skyrocketing healthcare costs and such.

Mr. Laz 08-16-2006 11:54 AM

first cigs ... next pitbulls

muwahahah

http://www.ctgilles.net/images/picta...on_dollars.jpg

InChiefsHeaven 08-16-2006 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz
Keep the smoking bans coming.

Someday they will ban stupidity to...oh wait, everyone has the right to be stupid... :shake:

InChiefsHeaven 08-16-2006 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole
Bob Dole sure is glad to see that people everywhere still can't resist the urge to impose their will (via government) on the owners of private businesses.

Bob Dole can't wait for the day where we start putting individual's BMI on their identification cards so we can ban the sale of high calorie foods to the obese.

You know...since all of this is for the public good and helps control skyrocketing healthcare costs and such.

Indeed...especially here when Nebraska got it's money from the "Tobacco Settlement" there was furious debate on how they should spend it...foolish me, I thought it was supposed to go to help all the poor sick smokers who were draining the system...:hmmm: