ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Titans agree to terms with G Scott (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=181410)

chop 03-10-2008 10:52 AM

Titans agree to terms with G Scott

Titans agree to terms with G Scott

By Sports Network

The Sports Network

The Titans have agreed to terms on a four- year contract with guard Jake Scott, according to the Tennessean.
The newspaper reported that Scott's deal averages a little less than $5 million per season.
Scott started 55 straight games, including playoffs, for the Indianapolis Colts over the past three seasons and gives Tennessee a replacement for Jacob Bell, who signed with St. Louis last week. Perhaps more importantly, the signing is a significant blow to Indianapolis, a division rival of the Titans.
Scott has played in 60 games for the Colts since he was taken in the fifth round of the 2004 NFL Draft out of Idaho.

DaKCMan AP 03-10-2008 10:54 AM

Moronic Planet meltdown commencing in 3......2.....1.....

Micjones 03-10-2008 10:54 AM

No meltdown forthcoming. Disappointment to be sure, but meltdown? No.

Most of us have resigned ourselves to the fact that this team is going to depend solely on the Draft and falter. Teams don't build this way in the NFL. So we'll be back to overspending for older FA's in 3-4 years when the team is much much younger, but mediocre as Hell.

This is going to make for an interesting opening three rounds of the Draft.
Guard just became a Day 1 priority.

BigChiefFan 03-10-2008 10:54 AM

Close to $5 million per season-no thanks.

JBucc 03-10-2008 10:58 AM

I don't know much about the guy but at 295 he doesn't seem big enough to play G in a power running scheme.

Direckshun 03-10-2008 10:58 AM

Man, the Chiefs are NOT signing a soul unless it's gut-bucket cheap.

They are literally going to square one this year. I mean, literally. We are going to look like an expansion team. You get what you put in.

I understand everybody's overpaying for these FA acquisitions but that's the market; you've got to overpay when a good opportunity makes itself known. Scott has a lot of his career in front of him and would have been a terrific signing.

I'm not an alarmist by any means, I've proven that here, and I don't think the Chiefs' plan is a bad one, but it surprises me how extreme their execution of it is. I understand they'er not playing with champagne money, but they aren't even playing with beer money -- they're playing with vending machine change.

Micjones 03-10-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 4623796)
Close to $5 million per season-no thanks.

Priceless.

What are you expecting to pay for a Guard?

It should be noted that he was the least expensive FA Guard on the market.

BigVE 03-10-2008 11:00 AM

Chiefs can't sign a free-agent when he has no interest in coming here.

Micjones 03-10-2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigVE (Post 4623808)
Chiefs can't sign a free-agent when he has no interest in coming here.

You know that to be true?

BigChiefFan 03-10-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 4623807)
Priceless.

What are you expecting to pay for a Guard?

$5 million is too much for an average guard. Give me elite and I'd pay MORE, but not for average-that's not spending the money wisely.

BigVE 03-10-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 4623809)
You know that to be true?

No, but think about it: WHY would anyone who is a decent player and has a choice WANT to come to a team that is perennially a non-factor and has made no real efforts thus far to climb out of the cellar?

Micjones 03-10-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 4623817)
$5 million is too much for an average guard. Give me elite and I'd pay MORE, but not for average-that's not spending the money wisely.

I think whether or not he's average can be argued, but...
What's a fair contract for Jake Scott?

StcChief 03-10-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 4623817)

so our draft pick will be ~avg NFL guard with No NFL experience untill week 8, as he get's toasted.

6-10 in 2008 if we are lucky

Micjones 03-10-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigVE (Post 4623824)
No, but think about it: WHY would anyone who is a decent player and has a choice WANT to come to a team that is perennially a non-factor and has made no real efforts thus far to climb out of the cellar?

DeMorrio Williams just did.

CupidStunt 03-10-2008 11:10 AM

Who?