ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   The Brushback on Herm Edwards (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=134054)

milkman 01-18-2006 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc1977
Um, we are not at mediocre. We are at pathetic. 1 playoff appearance in the last 8 years. I can't believe people actually thought the career .500 coach Vickie D would be good for us - when he just finished the plunge into patheticness.

The next step is mediocre.

Any one that has been around here knows that I was never happy that Dick was hired.

But the fact is, he won more games that he lost as HC in KC.
We, as fans of the team, might see that as pathetic, but a winning percentage at about a 55% is the very definition of mediocre.

foxman 01-18-2006 11:58 AM

In the NFL today there is a very VERY fine line between 13-3 and medicore.

jspchief 01-18-2006 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC
Herm Edwards hardly took over a team in chaos and turned it into a contender. Al Groh was 9-7 before Herm took ever and I think they were sitting at 9-4 at one point, and in first place.

Herm Edwards may end up doing well here, but I just don't see where all these assumptions that he is a great coach are coming from.

Everyone always is bashing Carl Peterson on here, but when it is time to drink the Kool-Aid, most drink it. I think there should be a good amount of skepticism regarding this hire.

So your problem with Edwards is that he took over a good team and had continued success, even improving it? Isn't that exactly what this team needs?

I don't know if Edwards is a "great" coach. But I do feel like he was a good fit for the situation this team is in. If we want to win with our current players, I don't think we can afford the growing pains of someone with no HC experience.

I don't think I need to be any more skeptical of the Edwards hire than I would the hiring of anyone else. He has a respectable resume, with the only real mark against him coming in a year that his team was decimated by injuries.

ROYC75 01-18-2006 12:03 PM

NEWS FLASH : If Sperm Headwards is only going to win 47 % of his games in KC and a few playoffs wins and no SB wins, ship his ass out now. Why settle for less than what we want / need.

Sorry, but this is no better off, we need to move towards the main thing, remember, the main thing is the main thing.

foxman 01-18-2006 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
He has a respectable resume, with the only real mark against him coming in a year that his team was decimated by injuries.

Your not 100% correct. Herm has no concept of clock management.

The only other thing I would say is, if all we need is a guy to take our current team and go from there then why not Hire Mike Sherman.....he wouldnt have cost us a 4th rounder.

Brock 01-18-2006 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxman
Your not 100% correct. Herm has no concept of clock management.

The only other thing I would say is, if all we need is a guy to take our current team and go from there then why not Hire Mike Sherman.....he wouldnt have cost us a 4th rounder.

Why would the chiefs hire a west coast offense coach?

Rausch 01-18-2006 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock

And on top of that, why hire another offensive guy?

We need help on defense, our offense is fine...

foxman 01-18-2006 12:13 PM

Not the point, the point was that a big part of my problem with Herm was having to give something for him. Solid guy as he may be there are/were other options that wouldnt require anything more than a contract

ROYC75 01-18-2006 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock

What kind is Sperm Headwards ?

WCO ? Ring a bell ??

Rausch 01-18-2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxman
Solid guy as he may be there are/were other options that wouldnt require anything more than a contract

And all those options sucked.

The only HC who's done anything that's available this offseason is Capers, and he's not getting any HC offers...

htismaqe 01-18-2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75

WCO ? Ring a bell ??

Herm Edwards isn't an offensive coach.

siberian khatru 01-18-2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC
Herm Edwards may end up doing well here, but I just don't see where all these assumptions that he is a great coach are coming from.

Everyone always is bashing Carl Peterson on here, but when it is time to drink the Kool-Aid, most drink it. I think there should be a good amount of skepticism regarding this hire.

I don't think anyone here thinks Herm is a great coach. Even The Bad Guy, who was supporting the Herm choice from early on, has said he merely thinks Herm was the best available coach.

I also think hardly anyone is drinking the Kool-Aid. Carl seems to be by far the most enthusiastic of the hire; pretty much everyone here at best has simply resigned themselves to the fact that Carl isn't going anywhere for four more years and they're going to have to live with his decisions. They're hoping to make the best of it. I think there's a lot of skepticism of this hire, but I also think the absolutely most futile thing you can do is pull a gochiefs and keep railing against it.

What, you're gonna hold your breath for four years to protest? Why not just take four years off from being a fan until it all blows over? I know that sounds like a pissy "go find another team/you're not a REAL fan" line, but that's pretty much where the logic leads. Declaring war on a guy who hasn't coached a single game yet is pathetic. If you're so convinced he's a disaster, then why bother following the team? So you can hang around and post "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!" threads after every loss? That's cranking the annoying meter up to 11.

Herm Edwards is the coach. Get over it. If he fails, we'll flame his ass just like we do every other Chiefs underachiever. But let's at least give him a chance to prove himself, one way or the other. I mean, what other choice do we have?

Rausch 01-18-2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

WCO ? Ring a bell ??

No, he's a defensive minded Coach.

Brock 01-18-2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

WCO ? Ring a bell ??

Herm isn't any kind of offensive coach.

And that's a pretty ****ing stupid name to be calling him.

ROYC75 01-18-2006 12:18 PM

Well aware Sperm Headwards is a defensive coach, what was his OC in Jetsland ?