ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink 50 Beers to Try Before You Die (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=227168)

KCUnited 12-07-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7237313)
You have much experience with Quadrupels before drinking the BBQ?

Admittedly, I don't. I am impressed with the craftsmanship of the beer and the different layers of flavor, just maybe not the style for me.

Reaper16 12-07-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 7237371)
Admittedly, I don't. I am impressed with the craftsmanship of the beer and the different layers of flavor, just maybe not the style for me.

Could be. Quads are definitely sweet; malt sugar levels approaching that of a barelywine but without the hop bitterness to balance it.

You may come around to 'em one day, too. Palates evolve.

irishjayhawk 12-08-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7238120)
Could be. Quads are definitely sweet; malt sugar levels approaching that of a barelywine but without the hop bitterness to balance it.

You may come around to 'em one day, too. Palates evolve.

Truer words never spoken.

I had Sierra Nevada's Harvest Ale. I should have known it would be hoppy since most of SN's selection is. In this case, it had the same bitterness I usually dislike but it grew on me as I drank the big bottle. It might be my gateway to the Pale Ale side. That and Titan IPA.

Toadkiller 12-08-2010 07:31 PM

Just an FYI, this years Abyss is I think the best one yet, taste is amazing.

Reaper16 12-08-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 7240856)
Truer words never spoken.

I had Sierra Nevada's Harvest Ale. I should have known it would be hoppy since most of SN's selection is. In this case, it had the same bitterness I usually dislike but it grew on me as I drank the big bottle. It might be my gateway to the Pale Ale side. That and Titan IPA.

Yay! Hops!

Some people never grow to like hoppy beers. Everything just registers as "bitterness" to them, and their palate can't grow to taste the nuances (of which IPAs have many. There are upwards of 30 major hop varietals, and they are pretty distinctive to the trained nose/palate).

DeezNutz 12-08-2010 07:43 PM

Aside: Nutcracker Ale is pretty delectable.

Saulbadguy 12-08-2010 07:48 PM

Tonight:

Chimay (white label)
Bridgeport Ebeneezer
Boulder Never Summer Ale

;)

NewChief 12-08-2010 07:57 PM

Smokestack 4 packs have arrived in Arkansas! Little Smokies FTW!

irishjayhawk 12-08-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 7240928)
Tonight:

Chimay (white label)
Bridgeport Ebeneezer
Boulder Never Summer Ale

;)

When I worked at a liquor store, I stared at that for a while. Have you had it before?

Saulbadguy 12-08-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 7240969)
When I worked at a liquor store, I stared at that for a while. Have you had it before?

Yep - i'm a fan. It's not too complex, but tasty.

phisherman 12-08-2010 08:04 PM

mutha f**kin Piraat FTW

jd1020 12-08-2010 08:04 PM

Zywiec. Just because thats where my family is from.

NewChief 12-08-2010 08:05 PM

So I'll probably by a new smokestack on Friday. At my store, they have Rye on Rye, the Fresh Hop, Double-Wide, Collaboration #1, Double Wit.

Any opinions? So far I've loved the Dark Truth and Tank 7. I was underwhelmed by Long Strange Trippel.

phisherman 12-08-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7240880)
Yay! Hops!

Some people never grow to like hoppy beers. Everything just registers as "bitterness" to them, and their palate can't grow to taste the nuances (of which IPAs have many. There are upwards of 30 major hop varietals, and they are pretty distinctive to the trained nose/palate).

Ahh, the discovery of hops. My wife won a 12 pack of Boulevard Pale Ale (which I didn't really care for much) about 5 years ago in a "closest to the pin" contest at a disc golf tournament. For some reason, on that particular day, I fell in love with the hops.

DrRyan, you better save a Pliny for me!

My good old standard when I want a hoppy fix is Southern Tier Unearthly. Ohhh boy, delicious!

phisherman 12-08-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 7240988)
So I'll probably by a new smokestack on Friday. At my store, they have Rye on Rye, the Fresh Hop, Double-Wide, Collaboration #1, Double Wit.

Any opinions? So far I've loved the Dark Truth and Tank 7. I was underwhelmed by Long Strange Trippel.

The Rye on Rye is crazy bitter, but delicious if that's your thing.

I really enjoyed the Harvest Dance Wheat Wine last time I had it.