ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Peter Lalich- Late round QB flyer potential (your non geno QB thread of the day) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270804)

Whosurdaddy 03-06-2013 11:46 AM

Peter Lalich- Late round QB flyer potential (your non geno QB thread of the day)

Why not?

I remember this guy coming out of high school and he was a pretty elite player. He seems like a Ryan Mallettt type to me, his personality galls some people, but his measurables and throwing ability are unquestionable. If not, we can offer to put swagbro#yolo69 on the back of his jersey if we pick him up as a FA. In all seriousness, I liked his highlight reel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LI7g2mTf68

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/...-road-cusp-nfl

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/3/1/40...r-lalich-story

Quote:

In 2011, his first full season as a starter, Peter would break every single-season Cal-U passing record. Pete would finish 16-4 as quarterback for the Vulcans.

"Peter is the most different, entertaining, fun, quarterback I've ever been around," says Cal-U head coach Mike Kellar.

"I've never seen a guy - if you've seen the movie "A Beautiful Mind" - sometimes I'll leave at night and come back in the morning and that's what my greaseboard looks like in my office: Peter will go in there and draw up 60 plays, and a lot of them would be great ideas if everyone could keep up with Pete - including myself. Man it's hard to tell how many plays we could have had in a gameplan. Extremely accurate - yeah, can make any throw - yeah, but the things I noticed is he can throw from different arm angles, his pocket presence and he's just cerebral as can be - Pete made me a better football coach because of the way he made me look at things in the office"

Through all his trials and tribulations, the one thing that gets lost in Peter's story is his unmatched football IQ and the respect he gained from his coaches as a true student of the game. Ask any of his prior coaches, from coach Riley at Oregon State to Al Groh and his former staff at UVA, they all use phrases (seriously, at least four former coaches have said this, including current Chicago Bears WR coach Mike Groh) such as: "football savant" and "a real life Will Hunting" when it comes to understanding defensive schemes and the quarterback position.

"If Peter spent four years as a starter at UVA, even if he had shitty seasons, he would be a top 15 quarterback in this draft right now," said a pro scout I spoke with on the condition of anonymity. "He's definitely on some teams' radar, especially in this class."

http://www.metricsfootballmedia.com/...terview-L.html

Quote:

What if I told you that this "unknown" D2 quarterback was a former four-star high school recruit, and was the debated #1-2 ranked prospect in the state of Virginia in 2007...and ranked as high as a top-5 quarterback prospect nationally that same year? Would you be impressed to know that Lalich is a quarterback that measures in at 6'4"+ and 230+ pounds with a huge arm (can throw the ball 70+ yards in the air) and has an effortless/quick release? For those more in the draft prospect "know" -- does a 37 on the Wonderlic (unconfirmed practice test) and a 10"+ hand size get your attention?

Imon Yourside 03-06-2013 11:47 AM

No Geno = No Good.

I like how they use the arrow to show where the QB is, if you can't figure that out you probably shouldn't watch football. LMAO

lcarus 03-06-2013 11:47 AM

We should pick up like 12 QBs and let Reid pick the best 3 for the roster.

Fat Elvis 03-06-2013 11:50 AM

I was reading this earlier on Yahoo!; he might be worth a flyer with one of our 7th rounders. Prolly better than Dick Stanzi.

Imon Yourside 03-06-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9470468)
I was reading this earlier on Yahoo!; he might be worth a flyer with one of our 7th rounders. Prolly better than Dick Stanzi.

Nonsense, there is no substitute for Manzi Stanzi! :)

Fat Elvis 03-06-2013 11:53 AM

It would be interesting to have a drunk "Rainman" QB who loves bling on the team.

Deberg_1990 03-06-2013 12:02 PM

who knows? theres a few of these guys every year it seems. 99.9% of them never amount to anything. I do like his size though...

Imon Yourside 03-06-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9470502)
who knows? theres a few of these guys every year it seems. 99.9% of them never amount to anything. I do like his size though...

Pair him with Jesse Haynes and we may have something.

boogblaster 03-06-2013 12:10 PM

who knows .. dont we already have a D2 QB .. that has a power-arm .. on the pratice-squad .....

Beef Supreme 03-06-2013 12:13 PM

Measurable mean jack squat if the guy is an asshole. Remember Jeff George?

Canofbier 03-06-2013 12:20 PM

Count me in. I'd rather spend a late-rounder on a guy like him who at least has the potential to be a top QB rather than some low-ceiling nobody from a D1 school.

Quote:

NFL Draft 2013 — Peter Lalich: The Forgotten One

Peter Lalich is the best passer in college football. No one throws a prettier, more accurate ball with more zip. No One.

Don’t bother scrolling through the names of the quarterbacks who participated in this year’s NFL Combine. The 6’6, 245 pound senior is not on it. He wasn’t invited.

Lalich was one of the most heavily recruited quarterbacks in the nation coming out of West Springfield High School in Springfield, Virginia in 2007. He chose to stay in-state and attend the University of Virginia after turning down offers from Miami (FL), Michigan, N.C. State and UCLA.

During the summer before his sophomore season at Virginia, Lalich was arrested for underage drinking and placed on probation. He ended up starting the first two games for the Cavaliers before his court appearance where he admitted to violating his probation by consuming alcohol. He was dismissed from the UVA Football team the same day.

Two years later, after transferring to Oregon State, he was dismissed from that program as well. This time he was caught operating a boat under the influence of alcohol.

What looked to be another tragic ending to another talented athlete’s story took a turn for the better when Lalich found a place at the University of California (PA), a Division II school. He had a quiet yet solid 2012 season, highlighted by his 334.7 passing yards per game average.

In an interview for NFL Draft Zone, Lalich talked about how his past mistakes made him a better person and helped him grow. In the same interview, he talks about passing his time by playing blues guitar, practicing yoga and modeling his game after that of Tom Brady. If you are trying to model yourself after another in your profession, I’d say it would be tough to make a better choice than that.

From what I can tell, outside of two unfortunate incidents with alcohol and some self admitted marijuana usage in the past, he seems like your average college kid — only this kid has an NFL arm and high-speed computer processor for a mind when it comes to making decisions from the pocket.

A source close to and with experience coaching Lalich described the signal caller as a “football savant”, going on to call him a “real life Will Hunting” when it came to football.

The same source cited how the fact that Ryan Nassib, the current quarterback prospect from Syracuse, is being considered by many as potential 2nd or 3rd round pick is laughable when you compare his skill-set to that of Lalich. He went on to speculate that Lalich will be one of the most sought after undrafted free agents should he get passed over for seven rounds.

It is also important to point out that Dallas Cowboy Head Coach Jason Garrett’s brother John was one of the primary recruiters of Lalich to Virginia. This tells me that Peter Lilich will be very much on the radar of both the Dallas Cowboys and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, where John Garrett is now on Greg Schiano’s staff.

As I said before, after watching literally hours of NFL prospects throw the ball, not one of them is a better pure passer and for that matter, decision maker than Peter Lalich. Let’s just hope the foolish decisions of a 20 year old kid don’t end up being what derails what could very well be a terrific NFL career.

Kylo Ren 03-06-2013 12:23 PM

Where is the QB? How can we evaluate him if we don't know which player he is? There are 22 players on the field. Kind of confusing. I wish they would circle or hightlight the QB. Or, maybe he could play with a big yellow baloon on his helmet?

Kylo Ren 03-06-2013 12:24 PM

Peter Lalich = Ryan Leaf? He sounds like a dumbass.

Canofbier 03-06-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Wayne (Post 9470563)
Peter Lalich = Ryan Leaf? He sounds like a dumbass.

He might be immature, but it doesn't sound like he's stupid. I'd hope that Reid and Dorsey go interview the kid or something so that they can get a sense of where he's at as a man. Is he a kid looking to play in the big-time, or is he a man looking to perfect his craft?

ShowtimeSBMVP 03-06-2013 12:39 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/81vkGTV0xxo?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I want him in late rounds