ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Xbox 720 vs PlayStation 4: Whats in Store? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255148)

ForeverChiefs58 01-17-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 8304596)
As a few people mentioned, 3D has not gotten off like people expected. It is doing OK in theaters, but home entertainment, TV, and games haven't recieved it as well.

I was Manager of a theater when 3D got going and I thought it was going to be huge, and it has been in the movies, but it really hasn't gone places anywhere else.

Yeah, I think it is a total gimmick too. When I was a kid and something was in 3-D, it was like it came off the screen and right at you.

I don't go to the movies a lot, but last I did I took the wife and kids and everything was 3-D. We paid over the usual rip off price and it didn't seem like the 3-D I remembered, it was like a meh version. For like $15 each I sure expected more.

Then we went to look at TV's and they had all these 3-D TV's and I just knew it would invade the gaming world. I really hope not, or if it does it is an option because I would hate to see more expensive games for this latest gimmick.

ForeverChiefs58 01-17-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8304684)
PS3 already has 3D.

They do? Are they more expensive? Do you have to have a 3-D TV?

Oh yeah, and my son has been asking for the new nintendo DS 3-D which is a rip off also.

Deberg_1990 01-17-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 8305570)
Yeah, I think it is a total gimmick too. When I was a kid and something was in 3-D, it was like it came off the screen and right at you.

I don't go to the movies a lot, but last I did I took the wife and kids and everything was 3-D. We paid over the usual rip off price and it didn't seem like the 3-D I remembered, it was like a meh version. For like $15 each I sure expected more.

Then we went to look at TV's and they had all these 3-D TV's and I just knew it would invade the gaming world. I really hope not, or if it does it is an option because I would hate to see more expensive games for this latest gimmick.

3D is a huge gimmick and always has been. Obviously the movie companies and theaters love it because they can charge the surcharge and make more money off of you.

Everything ive read about 3D TV's is that to date its been a disappointment. Nobody wants to pay extra for it, wear the dorky glasses in their living rooms. Pluse, theres just not alot of 3D broadcast content out there.

Do we really need to see Modern Family, the Bachelor and Greys Anatomy in 3D???

Saulbadguy 01-17-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 8305583)
They do? Are they more expensive? Do you have to have a 3-D TV?

Oh yeah, and my son has been asking for the new nintendo DS 3-D which is a rip off also.

Yes, you have to have a 3DTV. Other than that I think all models of PS3 can do it.

The Nintendo 3DS is not a rip off, IMO.

htismaqe 01-17-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakeXJones (Post 8304610)
Kinect isn't the future **** motion technology

Nope.

And Move is WORSE.

htismaqe 01-17-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8304270)
If MS goes the Cloud route I am done with them.

They're already doing it on the 360.

007 01-17-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8306027)
They're already doing it on the 360.

I know but the games I play are still disk based. I don't do the downloadable shit. If they were to actually go all cloud I wouldn't even bother with them. Last thing I need is my bandwidth cap getting pulverized over games.

htismaqe 01-17-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8306054)
I know but the games I play are still disk based. I don't do the downloadable shit. If they were to actually go all cloud I wouldn't even bother with them. Last thing I need is my bandwidth cap getting pulverized over games.

Well, the cloud is more about access to apps and storage. You can download or load games from disc anytime. But they're offering the availability to store CONTENT (like saved games) in "the cloud".

It's not the optical drive they're looking to replace, it's the hard drive.

007 01-17-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8306059)
Well, the cloud is more about access to apps and storage. You can download or load games from disc anytime. But they're offering the availability to store CONTENT (like saved games) in "the cloud".

It's not the optical drive they're looking to replace, it's the hard drive.

Quote:

The 720, on the other hand, has an unusual rumor making rounds saying that the new console will use Cloud for storage which have been redirected from the fact that Steam has done so well on PC over the years. Now it is being thought if the 720 games will actually feature on a disc at all, or will be simply downloaded from Cloud whenever they will be required. Microsoft could also have opted for the traditional Blu-ray system hadn't it been already owned by rivals, Sony. Other sources have claimed that the future 720 games could also come as Flash drives.
If I have to download a 10gb game to play it I won't buy it. That feature is listed under the Disk Format segment.

htismaqe 01-17-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8306077)
If I have to download a 10gb game to play it I won't buy it. That feature is listed under the Disk Format segment.

You wouldn't download a 10GB game. The game would be streamed to you real-time in just the bits and pieces you need at the time.

Cloud storage means no hard drive - there's no place on your device to PUT a 10GB game.

Pants 01-17-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8306093)
You wouldn't download a 10GB game. The game would be streamed to you real-time in just the bits and pieces you need at the time.

Cloud storage means no hard drive - there's no place on your device to PUT a 10GB game.

10Gb in small bits you need at the time is stil 10Gb, though, is it not?

htismaqe 01-17-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8306116)

Unless they use some type of temporary caching to disk (which I would think they would have to do just for performance reasons), it would likely end up being a whole lot MORE, because you'd ultimately load some portions more than once.

EDIT: Back to his original concern, though, his bandwidth cap may or may not be an issue. The point is that it wouldn't be 10GB all at once - it would be bits and pieces delivered over time. If his bandwidth cap is daily, it likely wouldn't be an issue. If his bandwidth gap is MONTHLY, he's going to have a big issue I would think.

007 01-17-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8306116)

THIS is exactly what I am referring to. Guess I was being too complicated about it. The last thing I want is these companies going to complete cloud storage. I average 75gb per month already. factor in games I would easily exceed the 150 I am allowed. There is absolutely no reason to get rid of physical media for games. Now if they want to put the games on encrypted flash drives I'm fine with that but it it goes 100% cloud based they won't get my money. Now, when the ISPs stop bleeding people over bandwidth I might reconsider that stance but for now, NO WAY.

Pants 01-17-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8306136)
THIS is exactly what I am referring to. Guess I was being too complicated about it. The last thing I want is these companies going to complete cloud storage. I average 75gb per month already. factor in games I would easily exceed the 150 I am allowed. There is absolutely no reason to get rid of physical media for games. Now if they want to put the games on encrypted flash drives I'm fine with that but it it goes 100% cloud based they won't get my money. Now, when the ISPs stop bleeding people over bandwidth I might reconsider that stance but for now, NO WAY.

75Gb/mo? Jesus. No wonder they want to institute bandwidth caps. :cuss:

htismaqe 01-17-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8306136)

I have news for you - EVERYTHING is moving towards the cloud. When Google first unveiled their operating system concept, it had NO local storage. Microsoft is gradually moving applications from the desktop OS to the cloud.

We're moving further and further into a realm where we, the consumer, do not and will not own content. We'll consume it on-demand, with permission from the actual owner/provider.