ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Yep, Alex Smith is here to stay. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272560)

jd1020 04-28-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9640400)
He's basically under a 2 year contract. Chiefs have shown zero desire to extend that so far.

Give it time.

He'll "earn" his extension after the upcoming 8-8 season when Arrowhead sells out.

Cant imagine their plan was to trade possibly 2 2nd round picks for a 2 year starter when you can easily get much better long term players with those picks.

acesn8s 04-28-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9640405)
Am still perplexed how Andy Reid can sit there and tell us we are going to pass attack with this football team and then turn around and have Alex Smith as starting quaterback. This is what we get true fans can rejoyce. Alex Smith best attribute is much like Matt Cassel in that they both could hand the ball off to running backs to find success.

So, Smith forgot how to pass?

duncan_idaho 04-28-2013 10:02 AM

My wife is very excited about Alex Smith and the Chiefs draft.

She realizes this means I will not be giving a f*** about the season this year, and that makes me much more available to work around the house on Sundays this fall and winter.

I can't let myself have any emotional investment in a team QBed by a slapdick game manager.

milkman 04-28-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9640369)
Uh-Oh.

Who has Urban Meyer coached at QB?

Rasputin 04-28-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acesn8s (Post 9640409)
So, Smith forgot how to pass?

If they are expecting A Smith to throw more than 25 times a game then we are in trouble. The game is going get away from him. Teams are going T off on him. Probably best if we did do keep Brandon Albert and have Eric Fisher play RT.

ayleswbj 04-28-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9640378)
I get kind of tired of hearing how all Alex Smith had to throw to was Vernon Davis.

Alex Smiths starting WR's through the years.

2005: Johnnie Morton, Arnaz Battle, Brandon Loyd, Otis Amey
2006: Arnaz Battle, Antionio Bryant, Brian Gilmore, Taylor Jacobs, Brian williams
2007: Arnaz Battle, Gilmore, Jason Hill, Daryl Jackson, Ashlie Lelie, Michael Lewis
2008: Arnaz Battle, Bryant Johnson, Isac Bruce(50 yrs old), Josh Morgan(rookie)
2009: Arnaz Battle, Isac Bruce, Michael Crabtree(rookie holdout) Josh Morgan, Brandon Jones
2010: Michael Crabs, Tedd Ginn, Josh Morgan, Jason Hill, Kyle Williams(rookie)
2011: Michael Crabs, Tedd Ginn, Braylon Edwards (injured, Cut) Josh Morgan(broken ankle), Brett Swain, Kyle Williams

15 of these guys are not even in the NFL anymore, Brett Swain has been active for like 8 games ever, Kyle Williams has a total of 35 catches in 3 seasons.
I think its a fair and reasonable assumption to say Alex Smith has never had anyone to throw the ball to. These are just the WR that got in the games. I didnt even list the other scrubs. People forget how much this organization was in shambles when they drafted him. My god the head coach the year before was Dennis Freaking Erickson.

kcfanXIII 04-28-2013 10:08 AM

You can make all the excuses you want, 8 years in the league means you are what you are. People can point to all the examples of guys who have been late bloomers, but that's the same thing as trying to find a tom brady in the sixth round. The Chiefs made a horrible choice in giving up this year's 34th pick. Forget about next year's pick for now. at 34 the only qb off the board was Manual. So if any of the other qbs in this draft play better than alex smith, Reid and Dorsey have failed, have set this franchise back years, and should be fired. I know it is a little soon, but why should we have to sit through another 4 years of this crap?

Chris Meck 04-28-2013 10:09 AM

You guys crack me up.

Rather than judge Reid and Dorsey by their past bodies of work collectively, many of you feel it is more accurate to judge them according to Carl Peterson and Scott Pioli's bodies of work and claim," Same old, same old".

The only thing that is the same is the red and gold.

Reid does not saddle himself with crappy QB's. If Smith sucks, he'll see the bench quickly. If Daniels can't get it done, so will he. If Bray's lightbulb goes on, we'll see him asap. His history of more than a decade shows multiple examples of this.

Reid is NOT going to turn into a "run, run, pass, punt" coach. He has always passed the ball from what others would call 'run formations'. He uses 'bunches' and two backs, one TE sets, 2 TE sets, and all sorts of things to create matchup problems for a defense.

Charles and Davis will see a lot of action, both carrying and catching. This is also his history (see B. Westbrook).

jd1020 04-28-2013 10:12 AM

What exactly are their past bodies of work?

Reid hasn't done anything since McNabb.

And what exactly did Dorsey do in GB? He was a scout and then became an assistant. There's nothing to suggest he was calling any shots. All we have to go by is what he's done in KC and the first thing he did was spend the #34 pick and a 2014 3rd/2nd on Alex Smith.

cockeyes 04-28-2013 10:14 AM

"They didn't draft my QB a round and a half too early" derangement syndrome is strong here

Chris Meck 04-28-2013 10:15 AM

Because that's what it took to get the best QB option available to start on day one.

These guys have no intention of acting like they're playing Madden ****ing football on franchise mode and tanking for a year to try and get a QB next year. They took the best option available to them.

Chris Meck 04-28-2013 10:16 AM

and I'm no Alex Smith fan. I think this is the best possible turd sandwich that was available. let's see if Andy can make it look edible.

jd1020 04-28-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9640434)
Because that's what it took to get the best QB option available to start on day one.

These guys have no intention of acting like they're playing Madden ****ing football on franchise mode and tanking for a year to try and get a QB next year. They took the best option available to them.

That's what it took? Nah. Don't think there was any other team willing to give up 2 picks, let alone a second for Alex Smith.

Other "hot commodity" QB's went for ****ing pennies.

Dorsey got bent over a table and took it up his ass by an experienced GM.

Messier 04-28-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9640427)
What exactly are their past bodies of work?

Reid hasn't done anything since McNabb.

And what exactly did Dorsey do in GB? He was a scout and then became an assistant. There's nothing to suggest he was calling any shots. All we have to go by is what he's done in KC and the first thing he did was spend the #34 pick and a 2014 3rd/2nd on Alex Smith.

Who was is you wanted for GM?

jd1020 04-28-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9640442)
Who was is you wanted for GM?

I had no voice in the GM search. I don't pretend to scout other teams front offices.

Dorsey was said to be one of the top candidates out there. Fine. But lets not pretend he was calling shots in GB and then praise him for what he did in GB and ignore his first order of business in KC.