ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Pete Prisco on Geno Smith (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271558)

saphojunkie 03-28-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9536199)
Yeah...I went ahead and read it.

I agree with his analysis, I just disagree with his conclusion. You're right - he says the same things I said about Geno 4 months ago; his lower half is just not that good and he falls in love with touch passes on throws he needs to fire in there (in all honesty, I'm not convinced he watched the tape - I think he just cribbed my posts).

All that said - why does that preclude him from being a high pick?

He has a flaw in his leg drive that he needs to work on. And for the record, it looked better during the combine and pro days, so I believe Weinke has helped in that regard.

I feel like Prisco's fallen into the "Luck" trap, just like so many others before him. If a QB isn't a perfect, polished prospect, then he's not worth taking high because "He's not Andrew Luck".

That's just not a fair bar.

Nothing he says from an analysis standpoint is unfair, but his application of the analysis is just wrong-headed.

This is exactly how I felt. The greatest fallacy is the whole "not worth a top ten pick" nonsense. So, he's worth 11 but not 10? Why the arbitrary cutoff? What makes 11 so different from 9? The extra digit? Why not "not worth a top 13 pick but 14 is okay"? Or top 37 but not 38?

Just Passin' By 03-28-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9536427)
This is exactly how I felt. The greatest fallacy is the whole "not worth a top ten pick" nonsense. So, he's worth 11 but not 10? Why the arbitrary cutoff? What makes 11 so different from 9? The extra digit? Why not "not worth a top 13 pick but 14 is okay"? Or top 37 but not 38?

It's probably for the incredibly simple reason that he doesn't have him ranked as a top ten player, your potential disagreement notwithstanding.

Sorter 03-28-2013 06:41 PM

It's hard for me to take a guy seriously who projected Jevan Snead as the best QB in the 2010 draft.

DaneMcCloud 03-28-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9536473)
It's hard for me to take a guy seriously who projected Jevan Snead as the best QB in the 2010 draft.

I like Prisco. I read all of his columns and most of his tweets. He's insightful and brutally honest, especially when it comes to older players, running backs, etc.

No one can be correct all the time and IMO, he's a good voice in a sea of ass kissers.

patteeu 03-28-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9536427)

Prisco didn't say he was worth 11 but not 10. You can carry this line of thinking to absurdity and conclude that every player draft able is worth the 1.1. At some point, I trust, even you would distinguish between a pick worthy of 1.1 and one only worthy of a lesser pick. So where is your cut-off?

Halfcan 03-28-2013 07:02 PM

So you have two awesome recievers but a crappy line? How is that Geno's fault?

RunKC 03-28-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9536380)
Needed to complete 80 percent of his throws to be considered a top prospect.

Complaining about Alex Smith throwing short safe passes and then hiding from the fact that Geno Smith does the same ****ing thing makes you look like a huge asshole.

Ace Gunner 03-28-2013 07:03 PM

"Smith does move his head from side-to-side when he is reading the field. I like that. For a young player, he did a solid job at times coming off receivers. But there were other times where I wanted more"

ya, but this I like about Geno. He's a gamer.

Sorter 03-28-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9536495)
I like Prisco. I read all of his columns and most of his tweets. He's insightful and brutally honest, especially when it comes to older players, running backs, etc.

No one can be correct all the time and IMO, he's a good voice in a sea of ass kissers.

You know I'm a baby ocelot, so I'm not lying when I said I had never heard of Prisco until this year.

Meh. Seems like an educated beat writer, not someone who understands football.

The Cosell article I agreed with for the most part. This article just made me feel like I was reading an article from a journalist who doesn't really understand/know football but has enough knowledge to seem like an expert to the average/casual fan. He doesn't say what or how many games he studied and he also has gems like this: "Smith does move his head from side-to-side when he is reading the field. I like that. For a young player, he did a solid job at times coming off receivers. But there were other times where I wanted more." He then cites 3 plays. 3. Out of 3 full years of play.

Saccopoo 03-28-2013 07:28 PM

Geno has as many tools for the position as I've seen out of anyone not named Luck over the past decade.

The criticisms that Prisco states are oddly similar to Aaron Rogers when he came out of college with the exception that Geno tries to put too much touch on the ball versus zip where Rogers tried to put too much zip on the ball versus touch.

However, the tools are there. It's not like a guy like Barkley who will never have the arm, or a guy like Glennon, who will never have the accuracy. Geno has both the arm and the accuracy and has exhibited the capability to do both in a game time situation.

The thing that Prisco mentions that is ultimately true was that WVU's offensive line was an absolute sieve. And that the Mountaineer defense was 117th out of 124th. Geno was throwing under pressure all game long, nearly every single game and he still passes for 71.2% completion and 42 TD's vs. 6 Ints. That's freaking ridiculous. His performances in the Marshall, James Madison, Baylor and Kansas games were things most QB's can't even do in practice against air.

A year or two under Reid's tuteledge and you'll see what an All-Pro QB is supposed to look like.

Deberg_1990 03-28-2013 07:33 PM

People should go back and read McNabbs scouting reports coming out. Tons of question marks....mainly because he was an option running QB. Andy Reid put a ton of work into him and made him get better. He always had accuracy flaws, but he got better.

Point is, if Reid was willing to do it once.....is he willing to try it again?

Saccopoo 03-28-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

But as far as a top-10 pick, I wouldn't do it. There are simply too many flaws in terms of what I want from my quarterback on the next level. There is growth potential with this kid, but that's not what you want when you draft a kid high in the first round. I just wanted to see more.

I'd seriously like to know who in this draft has done more at their respective positions than Geno has done at his.

Who are these mythical Top-10 guys that Geno doesn't fall into/can't beat out that have shown more potential at the next level for their position than Geno?

Werner? Jones? Lotulelei? Joeckel? Fisher? Jordan?

Sorry, but I don't see it.

KC native 03-28-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9536602)
Geno has as many tools for the position as I've seen out of anyone not named Luck over the past decade.

The criticisms that Prisco states are oddly similar to Aaron Rogers when he came out of college with the exception that Geno tries to put too much touch on the ball versus zip where Rogers tried to put too much zip on the ball versus touch.

However, the tools are there. It's not like a guy like Barkley who will never have the arm, or a guy like Glennon, who will never have the accuracy. Geno has both the arm and the accuracy and has exhibited the capability to do both in a game time situation.

The thing that Prisco mentions that is ultimately true was that WVU's offensive line was an absolute sieve. And that the Mountaineer defense was 117th out of 124th. Geno was throwing under pressure all game long, nearly every single game and he still passes for 71.2% completion and 42 TD's vs. 6 Ints. That's freaking ridiculous. His performances in the Marshall, James Madison, Baylor and Kansas games were things most QB's can't even do in practice against air.

A year or two under Reid's tuteledge and you'll see what an All-Pro QB is supposed to look like.

This. Geno is a high probability bet. He's not a sure thing, but he has the potential to be great.

Pitt Gorilla 03-28-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebolapox (Post 9536181)
so, shockingly.... those who hate geno LOVE the article, those who love geno HATE the article.

the world keeps going round.

I like Geno. I like the article.

DaneMcCloud 03-28-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9536602)

No, he does not.

Not only does he lack the explosiveness of Cam Newton or RGIII in the run game and the arm strength of Kaepernick or Newton or Eli Manning, he has the personality of a dead Muppet.

The guy has no charisma, he has no "pizazz" and he has no sizzle.

You're smoking too much synthetic.