ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Let's do the Pioli thing again. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=259929)

Direckshun 05-27-2012 03:02 PM

Let's do the Pioli thing again.

I know there's a strong anti-Pioli current around here, and some people pretty much want the guy gone yesterday.

It's not because he's building a lopsided team on one side of the ball, like we've had since we hired Marty Schottenheimer.

It's not because he's drafted poorly. Even if you include 2009, he's been a top five drafting GM. I don't give a shit about Dexter McCluster. At least he gives you something -- I prefer that burnt 2nd round pick to Turk McBride and Bernard Pollard.

It's not because he can't acquire talent. Excepting 2009, we've had successful acquisitions with virtually no busts in free agency.

Coaching hires? Please. Haley and Crennel are pure talent-development coaches. Weis and Crennel were extraordinary hires as coordinators. Daboll isn't a great acquisition, but it's a good fit for the talent on this team.

It's not because he can't build a team. Few people deny that this team is as talented and as deep everywhere as all but something like five or six teams in the league (QB excepted), maybe fewer.

So why?

Because of the quarterback position? Pioli doesn't care about the QB position, right?

Riiiight.

It's not exactly a high bar to clear, but Quinn and Stanzi provide us the best QB depth this team has. We had the choice between Cassel and Sanchez, and made the right choice. We passed on Dalton -- few people could blame us for that, in hindsight a true mistake.

But we all know the Cassel yarn is unraveling. That's the point of my question -- what happens if we give Pioli 10 years?

Letting Orton slide, whiffing on Manning, all the frustration from fans and the media...

Cassel's got a year left, probably. He's got a max of what, three years left? At the absolute extreme?

What do you expect then? You think Pioli's just going to hop from one discarded backup to the next? To another stopgap option and hope to coast until he gets fired?

This is the best this team has been in a long time. Add a good QB to the mix, and this team is knocking on Super Bowl doors for a decade.

Why do you want to walk away from that?

Why do you want to gamble on god knows what the next GM might be like?

There's no chance the next GM is a better draft or a guy who's going to be far more likely to burn millions on free agents that don't pan out.

There's no chance the next GM puts a better balance on the field. And may not hire coaches who value development as much as Pioli does.

I'm a really big fan of Pioli.

I agree, he needs to pull his head out of his ass on QB. But he did the right thing, he picked his guy there and gave him every chance.

/purehate

the Talking Can 05-27-2012 03:07 PM

pioli gets credit for hiring a HC he had to fire mid-season?

hilarious

Okie_Apparition 05-27-2012 03:08 PM

The median age of your average CP poster=Old & cranky

Saul Good 05-27-2012 03:10 PM

I'm still good with Pioli.

FlaChief58 05-27-2012 03:10 PM

:clap:

L.A. Chieffan 05-27-2012 03:11 PM

Cassell will prove pioli a true genius

notorious 05-27-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8641764)
Cassell will prove pioli a true genius

And there you have it.

Pioli has done a good job with everything but QB, HC, and OC.

None of those positions are important, though. 2000 Balitmore Ravens FTW!

bevischief 05-27-2012 03:16 PM

Cassel.

Reaper16 05-27-2012 03:16 PM

It's not that Pioli doesn't care about the QB position, it's that he has no idea about how to evaluate it.

wazu 05-27-2012 03:16 PM

Pioli has been here 3 years, and we've won 0 playoff games. All signs point to year 4 being a continuation of that pattern. Not really seeing what's to like about the Pioli era so far.

Deberg_1990 05-27-2012 03:19 PM

I don't hate the guy like a lot of people here. But bottom
Line he's failed to make the playoff in 2 out of 3 years here and when they did they failed to show up.

For comparison, By year 3 and 4 of Carl and Marty they had made the playoffs 3 times and won a few playoff games.

BossChief 05-27-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8641787)
I don't hate the guy like a lot of people here. But bottom
Line he's failed to make the playoff in 2 out of 3 years here and when they did they failed to show up.

For comparison, By year 3 and 4 of Carl and Marty they had made the playoffs 3 times and won a few playoff games.

A few playoff games, huh?

Deberg_1990 05-27-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8641795)
A few playoff games, huh?

Yea I guess 1 in 91. 93 would have been their 5th season. Sorry

prhom 05-27-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8641752)
pioli gets credit for hiring a HC he had to fire mid-season?

hilarious

I don't fault him too much for that. I'd rather him fire Haley then, than wait until the end of the season to do it when they had already decided he was going to be gone.

I just wish Pioli was as decisive about Cassel. It's like every other person on the team is expendable except him. It's never his fault for anything!

the Talking Can 05-27-2012 03:28 PM

we've accomplished nothing

we hired and fired a HC mid-season because the HC and GM turned the franchise into a Telenovela which was the laughing stock of the league

we've wasted 4 years on a joke of a QB who the GM hand picked and insists is a franchise QB

we have nothing on the roster worth a shit at the QB position

we had palko as a backup QB last year, because of the GM

we're on our 3rd OC in 4 years

we hired a 2nd HC whose previous experience as HC was a failure

we've been rebuilding since 2008

we have no proven QB or HC

i'll suck his cock when it is warranted