ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Phones (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272913)

WoodDraw 07-31-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Iron Chief (Post 9847606)
Sorry to bump this thread back to life I've read thru it and though its helped me its also a little out of date now.

My wife and I are about to upgrade our phones.
I've surfed the web and asked many people which is better the Samsung Galaxy S4 or the iPhone 5.
Opinions are split right down the middle it seems.
Verizon suggests going with the Iphone 5.

The Samsung has the microSD memory card slot, this turns me on.
But the Iphone it seems still comes out ahead on better apps,ease of use.

If any of you have had the chance to use both or can offer some insight plz do.

Android and iPhone have pretty much hit app parity. Sometimes they'll be a slight delay one way or the other, but nothing you'll have trouble with. Take a look through the top 100 apps though and check it out, if you're concerned.

Aside from that, go into a store and play around with them. It's very much personal taste; I'm not sure anyone here can say much. I'd personally go for the HTC One over both of those, so even among Android fans, people split different ways.

jd1020 07-31-2013 02:26 PM

I'd get the Xperia ZR right now, only downside is that you have to pay full price for an unlocked version since Sony is pretty much ignoring the US market right now.

The ZR comes with 4.5 inches, 1.5 quad core, 2gb ram, expandable storage, removable battery, and water/dust resistance at $500 unlocked. Pretty amazing package for the price when you compare it to phones in its price range like the S4 mini and HTC One mini.

AustinChief 07-31-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9848278)
Android and iPhone have pretty much hit app parity. Sometimes they'll be a slight delay one way or the other, but nothing you'll have trouble with. Take a look through the top 100 apps though and check it out, if you're concerned.

Aside from that, go into a store and play around with them. It's very much personal taste; I'm not sure anyone here can say much. I'd personally go for the HTC One over both of those, so even among Android fans, people split different ways.

Definitely all this. Best bet is to play around and see what you like. Of course the Moto X is supposed to launch tomorrow so you may want to wait a few days.

jd1020 07-31-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9848306)
Definitely all this. Best bet is to play around and see what you like. Of course the Moto X is supposed to launch tomorrow so you may want to wait a few days.

I think its just an unveil, its not even an official phone yet but its the worst kept secret. Not sure its launching tomorrow.

I've personally lost interest in the Moto X since its rumored to use a nano-SIM and a non removable battery, even with the 31 different flavor back panels you can get for it. I think its going to be just a slight upgrade over the Nexus 4 and not be worth all this hype.

AustinChief 07-31-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9848365)
I think its just an unveil, its not even an official phone yet but its the worst kept secret. Not sure its launching tomorrow.

I've personally lost interest in the Moto X since its rumored to use a nano-SIM and a non removable battery, even with the 31 different flavor back panels you can get for it. I think its going to be just a slight upgrade over the Nexus 4 and not be worth all this hype.

It's got some interesting features that COULD be groundbreaking if implemented correctly. I'll take a "wait and see" attitude but I'm definitely still interested. Having a separate DSP that handles ALWAYS ON sensors is impressive. They also did some major major work on the linux kernel to optimize it.

I agree about the nonremovable battery, that sucks.

mikeyis4dcats. 07-31-2013 07:56 PM

with regard to apps, damn near every free app on my ipad is worthless. but I have some very cool and useful apps on Android that don't require me to buy a damn thing, many without ads.

Mojo Rising 08-01-2013 12:02 AM

I am planning on buying the Note 3 if it comes out in September. I owe T Mobile $220 for my SGIII which I can sell for more than $300.

I was concerned about the size but if they are still making them it must not be too much of a problem.

The latest blog post I read states that they will do what they did with the Galaxy upgrade from the 3 to 4 where they will increase the screen size and remove the bezel but not increase the footprint size.

I am not sure about the S Pen. Is it useful?

I had a Palm Pilot back in the day and it was not a great experience.

Archie F. Swin 08-01-2013 06:16 AM

I've had Galaxy S4 for just over a month now. Its a stunning improvement over the 1st gen Galaxy S (my previous phone). The keyboard alone is worth the upgrade. The screen is big and beautiful.
This phone comes with a lot of advanced functions that I don't use, but I would love to know if other planeteers are using the unique motion, gesture and smart screen functions.

Dartgod 08-01-2013 06:32 AM

I can upgrade as of today and plan to get the S4. Sprint currently has a BOGO deal on them, so this is a great deal for the wife and I to get new phones.

Setsuna 08-01-2013 11:00 AM

Ok I'm kind of upset. My contract ended with T-mobile a month ago and I get this text on my old phone about a bill being available and I'm like wth is this? So I do the online rep chat thing on their website and find that I have to cancel the service despite not having a contract with them. The funny thing is the price of my bill is still being calculated using the contract details I had with them. What kind of BS is this? Why do I have to request a service cancellation when I'm no longer under contract with these bastards AND why do I have to pay the exact same price under the contract if it's no longer valid? This is why T-mobile sucks. So freaking done with these swindlers.

jiveturkey 08-01-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton Bibsby (Post 9850594)
Ok I'm kind of upset. My contract ended with T-mobile a month ago and I get this text on my old phone about a bill being available and I'm like wth is this? So I do the online rep chat thing on their website and find that I have to cancel the service despite not having a contract with them. The funny thing is the price of my bill is still being calculated using the contract details I had with them. What kind of BS is this? Why do I have to request a service cancellation when I'm no longer under contract with these bastards AND why do I have to pay the exact same price under the contract if it's no longer valid? This is why T-mobile sucks. So freaking done with these swindlers.

Every provider does this. If they didn't people would freak out because their service stopped.

jd1020 08-01-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton Bibsby (Post 9850594)

I'm confused... You had a 2 year contract for a phone and are surprised that you got a bill for their services, even though a phone contract has nothing to do with the services?

jd1020 08-01-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9848520)
It's got some interesting features that COULD be groundbreaking if implemented correctly. I'll take a "wait and see" attitude but I'm definitely still interested. Having a separate DSP that handles ALWAYS ON sensors is impressive. They also did some major major work on the linux kernel to optimize it.

I agree about the nonremovable battery, that sucks.

Motorola done ****ed it all up.

The whole buzz about the Moto X was that it was gonna sport midrange specs with high end performance due to a naked android ui and keep the price down... then they unveil with a $199 and $249 price tag on contract... Why would anyone spend that much when shit like HTC One and S4 cost exactly the same?

AustinChief 08-01-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9851350)
Motorola done ****ed it all up.

The whole buzz about the Moto X was that it was gonna sport midrange specs with high end performance due to a naked android ui and keep the price down... then they unveil with a $199 and $249 price tag on contract... Why would anyone spend that much when shit like HTC One and S4 cost exactly the same?

Yeah they definitely screwed up on price. I still need to see more info on ACTUAL performance specs before I judge but at this point it looks like S4 still holds the top spot.

Discuss Thrower 08-01-2013 04:10 PM

I want teh Note 3. Want it nao.