ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2014 Royals Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279729)

duncan_idaho 12-19-2013 12:45 PM

2014 Royals Repository

With my 6,000th post on ChiefsPlanet (it only took me 12 years to get here), I bring you: The 2014 Kansas City Royals Repository.

To be discussed here: All things Royals, as they attempt to post another winning season and make it back to the playoffs for the first time since 1985.

25-man RosterAvailable HERE

AL Central Standings:

Link

Duncan's Top 20 Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

dmahurin 12-19-2013 12:52 PM

In!

SuperChief 12-19-2013 01:03 PM

In to win, baby.

Sure-Oz 12-19-2013 01:08 PM

Great start on the thread

Strongside 12-19-2013 01:08 PM

IN! GONNA BE A BIG YEAR, GUYS!

BlackHelicopters 12-19-2013 01:10 PM

In for the playoffs!

shakesthecat 12-19-2013 01:11 PM

SPPT!

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-19-2013 01:12 PM

Royals will get be in the playoffs and have a 30 HR hitter.

Book it.

Coach 12-19-2013 01:20 PM

http://www.i70baseball.com/wp-conten...ime_Banner.jpg

C3HIEF3S 12-19-2013 01:26 PM

In for back-to-back Cactus League titles!!

Oh, and a postseason birth.

Lex Luthor 12-19-2013 01:31 PM

So what grade do you give Dayton Moore for this offseason?

I like what he's done A LOT. We've upgraded at second base and in right field with players whose strengths are a good fit with the strengths of this team. Aoki looks like an excellent defensive right fielder with speed who can hit for average, and the upgrade to Infante at second base is sensational.

I'm lukewarm about what he's done regarding the pitching staff, primarily because he hasn't done anything about extending James Shields. I'm starting to think that he may deliberately let Shields walk after next season if any of the top 3 upside candidates (Ventura, Duffy or Zimmer) looks like a potential ace for 2015.

I'm practically giddy about the trade for Danny Valencia, simply because he's sending a message to Moose that it's time for him to shit or get off the pot. If Moose doesn't tear it up in spring training, he should start the season in Omaha. Valencia would be a more than adequate replacement, and he could very well be an improvement. I think we got pretty good value for our 6th outfielder, and by the way, I liked David Lough a lot. I just think we probably saw his ceiling in 2013.

As of right now, I would give Dayton Moore a grade between A- and B+. If he were to sign James Shields to a contract extension, I'd change that to an A.

BigCatDaddy 12-19-2013 01:35 PM

How do you only have 6000 post in 13 years? Did you take a decade off?

Toadkiller 12-19-2013 01:36 PM

I can't quit them.

alnorth 12-19-2013 01:39 PM

What if James Shields has absolutely no desire to extend, and wants to test free agency? You can't really blame a GM for not extending someone, unless you know for a fact that a player would have extended at a reasonable price, like with that Beltran debacle years ago.

James Shields did not grow up a Royals fan, and he has never had a choice about where he can play. He might like KC fine just as he tried to enjoy living in Tampa Bay, but if I were a player, I'd like to be able to choose where I play at some point in my career.

Lex Luthor 12-19-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toadkiller (Post 10294013)
I can't quit them.

Why would you quit them now?

Lex Luthor 12-19-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10294026)
What if James Shields has absolutely no desire to extend, and wants to test free agency? You can't really blame a GM for not extending someone, unless you know for a fact that a player would have extended at a reasonable price, like with that Beltran debacle years ago.

James Shields did not grow up a Royals fan, and he has never had a choice about where he can play. He might like KC fine just as he tried to enjoy living in Tampa Bay, but if I were a player, I'd like to be able to choose where I play at some point in my career.

I understand that. To be honest, if I were James Shields, I'd probably test the free agent market. I'm assuming they could get get at a more reasonable price if they extend him now rather than letting him become a free agent, and I would just like to see Dayton try like hell to get it done.

chiefsfan4life1978 12-19-2013 01:45 PM

We still don't have anyone to hit the ball out of the park!!!

alnorth 12-19-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10294046)
I understand that. To be honest, if I were James Shields, I'd probably test the free agent market. I'm assuming they could get get at a more reasonable price if they extend him now rather than letting him become a free agent, and I would just like to see Dayton try like hell to get it done.

He probably did "try like hell". I would assume that any good player that the Royals ever fail to retain, we always have several conversations about extensions, but if I were James Shields and I'm not scared of injury or ineffectiveness, I would resolutely but politely decline an extension every single time its brought up.

We don't hear about failures to extend, only successes. That absolutely fantastic Salvy Perez extension was utterly unexpected and just came out of nowhere. Some players want security more than others.

WhawhaWhat 12-19-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10293982)
I'm lukewarm about what he's done regarding the pitching staff, primarily because he hasn't done anything about extending James Shields. I'm starting to think that he may deliberately let Shields walk after next season if any of the top 3 upside candidates (Ventura, Duffy or Zimmer) looks like a potential ace for 2015.

What would you offer James Shields in order to get him to extend his deal?

chiefsfan4life1978 12-19-2013 01:54 PM

Starting pitching is gonna be our biggest question going into the season. Vargas as your #2 is scary. Odds would say that Guthrie should take a slight decline from last year. 4 and 5 Starters are still big ?'s.

duncan_idaho 12-19-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10294006)
How do you only have 6000 post in 13 years? Did you take a decade off?

I didn't post a lot until the past couple of years. College, then life as a sports journalist... neither conducive to posting a lot. Once I started working from home (and sitting in on a lot of conference calls), my posting spiked significantly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10293982)
So what grade do you give Dayton Moore for this offseason?

I like what he's done A LOT. We've upgraded at second base and in right field with players whose strengths are a good fit with the strengths of this team. Aoki looks like an excellent defensive right fielder with speed who can hit for average, and the upgrade to Infante at second base is sensational.

I'm practically giddy about the trade for Danny Valencia, simply because he's sending a message to Moose that it's time for him to shit or get off the pot. If Moose doesn't tear it up in spring training, he should start the season in Omaha. Valencia would be a more than adequate replacement, and he could very well be an improvement. I think we got pretty good value for our 6th outfielder, and by the way, I liked David Lough a lot. I just think we probably saw his ceiling in 2013.

As of right now, I would give Dayton Moore a grade between A- and B+. If he were to sign James Shields to a contract extension, I'd change that to an A.

I would give Dayton Moore a B+. The pitching signing isn't sexy, but he read the market correctly there and got a guy who is a top 50-75 starting pitcher in MLB over the past 3-4 years for below-market value.

I like all the trades. Lot of good pieces added.

It has the potential to jump up to an A- or A grade, depending on any additional moves he makes. He really should move one of Hochevar, Holland or Davis for a piece that can help, or even for prospects at this point (Hochevar and Davis, not so much on Holland).

AndChiefs 12-19-2013 02:01 PM

Boom baby!

BlackHelicopters 12-19-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 10294081)
What would you offer James Shields in order to get him to extend his deal?

5/110

duncan_idaho 12-19-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfan4life1978 (Post 10294104)
Starting pitching is gonna be our biggest question going into the season. Vargas as your #2 is scary. Odds would say that Guthrie should take a slight decline from last year. 4 and 5 Starters are still big ?'s.

Vargas is better if he's your No. 3, but he's been a pretty consistently solid pitcher over the past 4 years (his time as a full-time starter).

63rd in ERA amongst starters in that stretch.
33rd in IP
52nd in WHIP
47th in BB/9
75th in H/9 (impressive, considering he's a soft-tosser)
61st best Opponents OPS (tied with Ervin Santana, actually)

I wouldn't call it 'scary' in light of all of that. It's not ideal, but he's a good No. 3/borderline No. 2 starter.

As for Guthrie, I wouldn't really expect him to decline. He's pretty likely to give KC an ERA somewhere between 4.00-4.25 with 200 IP and a whip between 1.25-1.35. It's just kind of who he is. He'll give them a pretty similar performance, and it wouldn't surprise me if he's even a little bit better.

they will have questions at teh back end, but many teams do. And the potential answers include some big upside/big potential at those spots (Duffy, Ventura, even Davis could be big upgrades over what the Royals got from Mendoza and Davis last year).

gblowfish 12-19-2013 02:06 PM

Meet the new thread.
Same as the old thread!

DeezNutz 12-19-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 10294147)
5/110

I'll take "**** no" for $1000, Alex.

Dude turns 32 tomorrow. No thanks.

Nightfyre 12-19-2013 02:08 PM

Time for the 2014 push!

chiefsfan4life1978 12-19-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10294151)
Vargas is better if he's your No. 3, but he's been a pretty consistently solid pitcher over the past 4 years (his time as a full-time starter).

63rd in ERA amongst starters in that stretch.
33rd in IP
52nd in WHIP
47th in BB/9
75th in H/9 (impressive, considering he's a soft-tosser)
61st best Opponents OPS (tied with Ervin Santana, actually)

I wouldn't call it 'scary' in light of all of that. It's not ideal, but he's a good No. 3/borderline No. 2 starter.

As for Guthrie, I wouldn't really expect him to decline. He's pretty likely to give KC an ERA somewhere between 4.00-4.25 with 200 IP and a whip between 1.25-1.35. It's just kind of who he is. He'll give them a pretty similar performance, and it wouldn't surprise me if he's even a little bit better.

they will have questions at teh back end, but many teams do. And the potential answers include some big upside/big potential at those spots (Duffy, Ventura, even Davis could be big upgrades over what the Royals got from Mendoza and Davis last year).

Given Guthrie's age, I think a decline is very likely. I'd be surprised, albeit pleasantly, if he gives us 200 innings again. You're probably right on the ERA and WHIP though.

duncan_idaho 12-19-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10294156)
I'll take "**** no" for $1000, Alex.

Dude turns 32 tomorrow. No thanks.

Problem with extending Shields is that anything KC can really afford to offer (which basically means a 3-year deal around $18-20 MM) is something he can likely surpass quite easily on the open market.

I think he's going to age well... he's got the frame to hold up to the innings load he has handled, his arsenal is one that should age well (fastball-changeup usually does), and he's a smart pitcher. But there's also a chance he turns into a Jeremy Guthrie sort before a 5 or 6 year deal is over.

Can't afford to take that risk if you're KC.

mr. tegu 12-19-2013 02:16 PM

Go Royals!

duncan_idaho 12-19-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfan4life1978 (Post 10294187)
Given Guthrie's age, I think a decline is very likely. I'd be surprised, albeit pleasantly, if he gives us 200 innings again. You're probably right on the ERA and WHIP though.

He'll be 35 at the start of the season, but he also has shown no signs of age/wear and tear. He's maintained an average fastball velocity right at 92.5 for several years (his AVG last year was the same as it was in 2010, for example).

He takes good care of himself, has good mechanics, and has never really been a flamethrower. I don't think we'll see his mid-30s destroy him like it does some pitchers.

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-19-2013 02:18 PM

And the dude is just an awesome guy.

chiefsfan4life1978 12-19-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10294207)
He'll be 35 at the start of the season, but he also has shown no signs of age/wear and tear. He's maintained an average fastball velocity right at 92.5 for several years (his AVG last year was the same as it was in 2010, for example).

He takes good care of himself, has good mechanics, and has never really been a flamethrower. I don't think we'll see his mid-30s destroy him like it does some pitchers.

Sounds good to me. I hope you're right!

DeezNutz 12-19-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10294192)
Problem with extending Shields is that anything KC can really afford to offer (which basically means a 3-year deal around $18-20 MM) is something he can likely surpass quite easily on the open market.

I think he's going to age well... he's got the frame to hold up to the innings load he has handled, his arsenal is one that should age well (fastball-changeup usually does), and he's a smart pitcher. But there's also a chance he turns into a Jeremy Guthrie sort before a 5 or 6 year deal is over.

Can't afford to take that risk if you're KC.

Pretty much. If we could even get a little crazy and go 3 for 66-75, I'd be great with it. But the Royals simply cannot risk having potentially $40M+ in dead money because of age.

Naturally, the risk of injury is always there for everyone.

Demonpenz 12-19-2013 02:33 PM

Everytime the royals lose. Kirpatrick punches you in the stomach.

O.city 12-19-2013 02:35 PM

Coming from a Cardinals fan who's become a pseudo Royals fan from living in KC.

In regards to Shields, like the Cards have done with their young pitching and the influx the Royals have coming on, I'm not sure you go overboard any bit to sign Shields.

I would think the way to go is let him play it out, may the offer Deez just suggested and if he doesn't take it, probably let him walk, using this year to develop guys in the pipeline.

WhawhaWhat 12-19-2013 02:58 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>FSKC will air a Christmas Eve marathon of 4 Royals games, condensed to 2 hours each, beginning at 2pm next Tuesday.</p>&mdash; Joel Goldberg (@goldbergkc) <a href="https://twitter.com/goldbergkc/statuses/413774157814300674">December 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>2pm May 30 Royals come back in the 9th in a game that ends at 3:14am on day George Brett is named interim hitting coach.</p>&mdash; Joel Goldberg (@goldbergkc) <a href="https://twitter.com/goldbergkc/statuses/413774365893722112">December 19, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>4pm June 26 Braves at Royals, Alex Gordon homers to start the game and wins it with an RBI single in the 10th.</p>&mdash; Joel Goldberg (@goldbergkc) <a href="https://twitter.com/goldbergkc/statuses/413774427151552512">December 19, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>6pm July 24 Orioles at Royals Eric Hosmer’s home run ties it in the 8th, Alcides Escobar wins it in the 9th.</p>&mdash; Joel Goldberg (@goldbergkc) <a href="https://twitter.com/goldbergkc/statuses/413774673369776129">December 19, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>8pm home finale Sept 22 Rangers at Royals Justin Maxwell clubs a memorable walk-off grand slam. Enjoy everyone!!!</p>&mdash; Joel Goldberg (@goldbergkc) <a href="https://twitter.com/goldbergkc/statuses/413774877741424640">December 19, 2013</a></blockquote>

JohnnyV13 12-19-2013 03:21 PM

If we dealt Hoch, Davis, and Bonifacio we'd have $13.8 million to pay Santana. If the draft pick does kill his market a la Lohse, that would be doable.

KCUnited 12-19-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 10294372)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>FSKC will air a Christmas Eve marathon of 4 Royals games, condensed to 2 hours each, beginning at 2pm next Tuesday.</p>&mdash; Joel Goldberg (@goldbergkc) <a

LMAO

**** it, I'll watch.

TLO 12-19-2013 03:31 PM

In!

Nightfyre 12-19-2013 03:51 PM

Dealing Hoch and Davis for prospects and using the proceeds to sign Santana for another one year deal? I am good with it. That would make our rotation look a lot better. Shields/Santana/Vargas/Guthrie/Duffy and if Ventura is just lighting the world on fire in AAA we can deal Santana at the break.

Canofbier 12-19-2013 04:10 PM

Great start to the thread. Like most of you, I'm a fan of most of what the team has done so far this offseason. Can't wait to see how the team comes together come the beginning of the season!

sedated 12-19-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyV13 (Post 10294483)
If we dealt Hoch, Davis, and Bonifacio we'd have $13.8 million to pay Santana. If the draft pick does kill his market a la Lohse, that would be doable.

Not a chance in hell.

The last thing Santana is going to do is sign a 1-year deal. He will take the longest contract he can get. They all do.

Al Bundy 12-19-2013 04:44 PM

I can't wait for the 2014 season.

gblowfish 12-19-2013 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm glad they could find four games that are worth watching again! Heh...progress, right? I've got a fever, and the only prescription, is eight hours of Royals Baseball! I'm sure Hud will be stoked!

cabletech94 12-19-2013 05:14 PM

IN IT TO WIN IT!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!

JohnnyV13 12-19-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 10294653)
Not a chance in hell.

The last thing Santana is going to do is sign a 1-year deal. He will take the longest contract he can get. They all do.

Oh sure. I wouldn't blame Santana in the least either. He's 31. This is his chance to get paid.

Clearing out those three contracts would make signing him doable not just for this season but say for a 4/60 deal.

Not what he wants, but I'm just talking if his market collapses like it did for Lohse. Dealing off those 3 would clear payroll. If he succeeds this season, he could then be traded if the money is a problem.

penbrook 12-19-2013 09:03 PM

The Royals have "had mostly just internal talks on Price" and haven't exchanged any "meaningful dialogue" with the Rays about a possible trade. That said, Heyman notes that Kansas City has the prospect depth to make a trade possible, though Price's rising salary through arbitration over the next two seasons makes a deal a "tall order," according to one Royals source.

Rasputin 12-19-2013 09:12 PM

What role is George Brett going take this year? Is he still going be in the dugout?

Hope Royals have a fantastic year. Damnet and make the playoffs.

siberian khatru 12-19-2013 09:12 PM

Re: David Price

Consider this report: David Price Rumors: Rays asked Cleveland for Santana, Salazar, Lindor

Now figure out the KC equivalent. Yeah, not pretty.

TambaBerry 12-19-2013 09:14 PM

I don't give a ****, this is our one year we have to go all in for 2014.

Sure-Oz 12-19-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 10295493)

Consider this report: David Price Rumors: Rays asked Cleveland for Santana, Salazar, Lindor

I don't see that happening at all.

Silock 12-19-2013 10:13 PM

We need a hitter more than a pitcher. Starting pitching only got us so far last year. Gotta score some runs, too.

duncan_idaho 12-19-2013 10:17 PM

The Royals counterpart for that trade price would be Perez, Ventura and Mondesi ... Though mondesi is at least two years behind Lindor and is a top 50 rather than top 10 prospect.

tk13 12-19-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10295553)
We need a hitter more than a pitcher. Starting pitching only got us so far last year. Gotta score some runs, too.

Yeah, but it did get us farther than we've been in 25 years. You can't have too many good pitchers. Great pitching and average hitting usually wins you more games than average pitching and great hitting. Just look at how all those Dye/Damon/Sweeney/Beltran teams never won anything, but the Royals best performances came with Cone/Appier/Gordon and Shields/Santana/Guthrie.

Silock 12-19-2013 10:30 PM

No way in HELL I'm giving up Perez. Not in a MILLION ****ING YEARS.

Which means Dayton would probably give up Perez, Ventura and Zimmer to get Myers back.

Silock 12-19-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10295579)
Yeah, but it did get us farther than we've been in 25 years. You can't have too many good pitchers. Great pitching and average hitting usually wins you more games than average pitching and great hitting. Just look at how all those Dye/Damon/Sweeney/Beltran teams never won anything, but the Royals best performances came with Cone/Appier/Gordon and Shields/Santana/Guthrie.

I don't disagree necessarily, but we have an AMAZING bullpen. Our starters are good enough to hand the ball game to the pen in winnable shape just about every night.

TLO 12-19-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10295556)
The Royals counterpart for that trade price would be Perez, Ventura and Mondesi ... Though mondesi is at least two years behind Lindor and is a top 50 rather than top 10 prospect.

If we trade Salvy at this point in his career, I'm done with the Royals.

Done.

SPchief 12-19-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10295617)
If we trade Salvy at this point in his career, I'm done with the Royals.

Done.

Would. Never. Happen.

TLO 12-19-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 10295627)
Would. Never. Happen.

Oh I don't really think they would. Just sayin.

Bambi 12-19-2013 11:19 PM

We are definitely going to the playoffs in 2014.

Prison Bitch 12-19-2013 11:37 PM

Those type of deals are way beyond what Halladay and Santana and Lee brought back.

penbrook 12-19-2013 11:40 PM

Per MLBTradeRumors

An AL general manager praised the Orioles' trade for David Lough, noting that "he can do everything that Nate McLouth does. He might end up being an even better hitter than McLouth.”

Deberg_1990 12-19-2013 11:46 PM

90 wins. Miss the playoffs by 1 game.

Progress.....

BWillie 12-20-2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10295553)

I disagree we haven't had pitchers like that in Kansas City for a decade and look what happened we were above 500

BWillie 12-20-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Can we give them Bubba and Zimmer instead of Salvy?

AussieChiefsFan 12-20-2013 01:50 AM

In!

Silock 12-20-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 10295883)
I disagree we haven't had pitchers like that in Kansas City for a decade and look what happened we were above 500

And why didn't we make the playoffs? Because we lacked the hitting. Look, I'm not saying to ignore pitching, but hitting is very important, too. Losing a game 1-0 really sucks, especially for the pitcher.

BigCatDaddy 12-20-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10295908)
And why didn't we make the playoffs? Because we lacked the hitting. Look, I'm not saying to ignore pitching, but hitting is very important, too. Losing a game 1-0 really sucks, especially for the pitcher.

Because we ran out French and Getz far too long and it took Hosmer 3 months to hit worth a shit. Infante and Aoki are major upgrades to what we ran out there last year and I'm expecting Hosmer to not take 3 months to start hitting this year. Also if Moose struggles we have a possible backup plan in place to replace his hole in the lineup.

Archie F. Swin 12-20-2013 06:54 AM

I would love to have Price, but I don't think we're desperate enough to give the house away to make it happen. I see that more as a mid-season trade.

Anyong Bluth 12-20-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 10295491)
What role is George Brett going take this year? Is he still going be in the dugout?

Hope Royals have a fantastic year. Damnet and make the playoffs.

Most likely playing at least 18 holes 5 times per week, so not likely in the dugout.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10295967)
Because we ran out French and Getz far too long and it took Hosmer 3 months to hit worth a shit. Infante and Aoki are major upgrades to what we ran out there last year and I'm expecting Hosmer to not take 3 months to start hitting this year. Also if Moose struggles we have a possible backup plan in place to replace his hole in the lineup.

Agreed. For those fretting about the offense, don't forget we've had solid lineups while trotting absolute shit to the mound and came up even worse results and being competitive in winning the division.

The pickups they've made I think will add some stability to our lineup. Last year was a combination of guys who had their slumps which was compounded by having at least 3 guys day in and day out who were worthless at the plate leaving little room for error. In turn, the guys who were relied on only faced added pressure to be on when you're realistically got a 3rd of your order doing next to squat.

I'm not predicting an offensive explosion, but I do think that the guys they've brought in will provide a more stable order and we'll see a lineup able to string together production to at least be consistent in giving our rotation run support with the hopes of turning it a over to a lights out bullpen and our nasty closer.

I will be surprised and disappointed if we're looking at a lineup coming up dry like we watched back in the day when we'd start Greinke, who'd dominate at easily a Cy Young level performance in about 90% of his starts, and yet the lineup would hang him out to dry barely scratching together 2+ runs- many times leaving what should be a winning performance at a no decision late into the game with them going to the bullpen.

(In the year Zach was lights out for us and featured all over in the media, and the 20+ win talk, the Royals had a historically low run support #s for him, even though they on average provided much better run support for other guys in our rotation- it was maddening to see it inexplicably happen time and again what seemed like every time he came up with the start.)

OmahaChief 12-20-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 10295688)
Per MLBTradeRumors

An AL general manager praised the Orioles' trade for David Lough, noting that "he can do everything that Nate McLouth does. He might end up being an even better hitter than McLouth.”

It was probably the Orioles GM that said this.

kstater 12-20-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10295661)
We are definitely going to the playoffs in 2014.

You shut your whore mouth.

HemiEd 12-20-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Holy crap, no thanks!

gblowfish 12-20-2013 09:31 AM

Billy Butler is supposed to have a press conference sometime this AM. Wonder what that is all about?

Archie F. Swin 12-20-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 10296163)
Billy Butler is supposed to have a press conference sometime this AM. Wonder what that is all about?

a spicy version of his BBQ sauce

duncan_idaho 12-20-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmahaChief (Post 10296019)
It was probably the Orioles GM that said this.

By the time Nate McClouth was Lough's age, he had already posted TWO seasons of 20+ HR in the major leagues.

I doubt David Lough EVER hits 20 HR in an MLB season. He might be more productive/able to match McClouth's production at this point in their careers, but there's a reason McClouth was an MLB regular at age 24 while Lough continued to toil in the minors.

McClouth also has a career OBP 80 points higher than his average (.250/.335). Doubt Lough ever posts a single full season in which he has that type of split. He'd have to hit .300 to post a .330 OBP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 10296129)
Holy crap, no thanks!

Yes, the Rays price for Price is really high. So high, they might price themselves out of the market. What contending team can afford to give up the type of talent they're requesting back?

A star-level, established MLB hitter (Santana/Perez) PLUS an elite pitching prospect PLUS an elite position prospect at SS?

David Price is great, but that type of trade is so one-sided in favor of the Rays, I can't see anyone making it.

alnorth 12-20-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 10295493)

Holy crap, they wanted Carlos Santana?!?!?

Uhhh.... at that "price", we're out on Price. The Rays don't want to trade him, they are asking people to make them an offer they can't refuse.

siberian khatru 12-20-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

He's had enough of Prison Bitch's shit.

alnorth 12-20-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

From what I can see on twitter, its not expected to be anything earth-shattering. Maybe its something about charity.